Board index FlightGear Support Tools ATC-pie

FSweekend showcase!

ATC-pie is a radar air traffic control simulation program for the FlightGear multi-player network.

FSweekend showcase!

Postby mickybadia » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:17 am

Hello everybody,

A few more tests are under way before a new version to come soon. It will allow more strip positioning and viewing options, and the mended whether retrieval, currently broken because of a discontinued online service. By the way this can be an incentive for some to switch to the testing version; testers have been trying the next release for a while already.

While we are waiting, the exciting news is that ATC-pie will be showcased at the FSweekend in just over a month! :D :D
It has kindly been accepted as a demonstrable feature in the FlightGear booth. Is any experienced ATC or program user considering going as well? Apparently it is a big event, and besides meeting the regular FG people, I am guessing some publicity should come out of it.

If you want to help anyway:
  • The demo should be located at Rio de Janeiro, for which I have no ATC resource yet. Has anybody got VATSIM procedures, SCT sector files, good maps to import or anything useful of the sort for that area?
  • Is anybody willing to help creating them otherwise?
  • I am happy to read about any advice/idea that will help me make a good presentation. I am just not planning on dressing up as a rabbit this time :-)
Last edited by mickybadia on Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickybadia

Re: FSweekend showcase!

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi micky,
that's great news!
fly-sea seems to have pretty good resources here:
http://www.fly-sea.com/charts/SBGL.pdf
:D
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:32 pm

I am not very familiar with ATC-Pie or any of its functionality - but regarding such PDF files, we were at some point considering to support the use of such files via the Canvas system, while adding an option to allow them to be geo-referenced/aligned with navdata (think VORs, NDBs, DMEs, ILS etc) - which would probably be a good way to help populate the corresponding ATC sector with useful navaids/procedures

http://download.diegolima.org/Cartas%20 ... p/sbgl.pdf

Eventually, given the plethora of virtual ATC simulators these days, it might actually not be such a bad idea to come up with some kind website to aggregate such data using different sources (vatsim, ivao, euroscope etc) and provide an option to convert such data in a mapserver-like fashion using existing nav/geo-data

Note that a number of core developers have tossed with the idea of coming up with a wiki-like frontend to the navdb so that the navdb data can be better maintained/updated in the future, without depending on Robin Peel. Most recently, James mentioned this a few days ago: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/ma ... /35378961/

e have a workflow for scene-models that works well - people submit data (models), a central server / DB / etc collates them, and periodically new versions are available to everyone (terrasync, whether online / offline / manual). The exact same flow can work for nav data, ideally in the same place. We can augment Robin’s data (or not), maintain versions in sync with scenery (indeed, I would move the data into the terrasync file tree next to Airports/ and Models/), etc.

A corresponding website could quickly become fairly popular with the virtual ATC/flight simulation community as long as it is not overly specific to a single piece of software, but merely provides a service/data to be used by end-users
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Octal450 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:18 am

I will be using ATC-pie for FGFest, I'm controlling center, top down.
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby mickybadia » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:13 am

it0uchpods wrote in Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:18 am:I'm controlling center, top down.

NB: then do not use the centre mode which is made for en-route control thus disables all airport tools and tower view. Base yourself at the main airport, and just extend your control coverage. Also if you want to see runway orientations or monitor activity at other airports, you can "draw additional airports" from the AD menu under the radars, open one radar window per airport, etc.

Good luck!
mickybadia

Postby CaptB » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:27 am

Good news, I am available later today on Mumble if you want to discuss anything.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB

Postby Octal450 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:13 pm

@mickeybadia
Yup, that was my plan. :D
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:56 pm

I ATC'd all weekend long with ATC-pie at Dublin Approach, an Shannon Control, and everything went very smoothly. The one thing I could not get was how to take flightplans from flightgear-atc.alwaysdata website and put them into a strip without having to retype everything? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Josh

Octal450

Postby mickybadia » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi,

Very glad you could promote the program in parallel (FSweekend // FG festival), by making it visible too, in a different yet certainly efficient way :-) I hope you enjoyed it.

it0uchpods wrote in Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:56 pm:The one thing I could not get was how to take flightplans from flightgear-atc.alwaysdata website and put them into a strip without having to retype everything? Am I missing something?

YES! And to avoid steering this thread off topic, I answered in a different topic.
mickybadia

Postby mickybadia » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:30 pm

Do you have screenshots of a busy radar? :-D
mickybadia

Postby Octal450 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:25 pm

Screenshots, no sorry.

But it was really busy at times.

I'll take some next time! (Spring 2017), or my next ATC session

Octal450

Return to ATC-pie