Board index FlightGear Support Tools ATC-pie

NEW RELEASE! (r10) incl. ground control and instructions

ATC-pie is a radar air traffic control simulation program for the FlightGear multi-player network.

NEW RELEASE! (r10) incl. ground control and instructions

Postby mickybadia » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi all!

New release 10 was pushed last Sunday (followed by a quick and newer "r10b" update yesterday), with cool features added. The most important enhancement is ground support, including as always AI traffic for solo/teacher sessions.

== New ground features ==

In detail, here is what you now find regarding GND control at airports with a "ground network" (*):
  • taxiway labelling on airport tarmac
  • parking positions, added to navigator pane for quick look-up
  • click&drag taxi instruction tool, generating the correct message to be sent through chat or read out to pilots (screen shot below)
  • a new GND position available for solo games -- you can play GND on its own or combined with TWR and any choice of DEP/APP (see the updated solo game section in the user guide)

(*) One problem with ground networks is that the data is still scarce compared to the set of airports available. Many airports have no ground net, but you may find a newer ".dat" file for download from the X-plane portal. In this case, rename the apt.dat file after your 4-letter ICAO code and place it in the "resources/apt" ATC-pie directory to override the packed default.

NB: An apt.dat file contains a ground net if it has text lines beginning with codes 1200, 1202...

== Additional features ==

Of course, more stuff made its way in the program too!

1. Data files
- X-plane data update with latest default world package (April 2016)
- custom airport spec vs. X-plane extract distinction
- reload radar colour configuration file

2. In teacher mode:
- individual aircraft freeze by teacher
- keep strips on handovers

3. In solo mode:
- randomised wind
- wind affects AI aircraft

4. GUI:
- sequence numbers on racks
- rack colours on tabs
- controllable strip auto-fill options

== Technical note: known issues on ground nets ==

As far as I could see while trying to come up with a general system (esp. for AI aircraft), the data is very inconsistent. The hope is that it grows and stabilises in a near future, to an extent that will allow me to fit all airports with one set of rules.

Meanwhile, the two major discrepency types found were:
  1. some "taxiway" edges lie fully on runway but labelled otherwise, e.g. at EGSS runway 04 threshold. Implemeted assumption is that runway turn-off edges are recognisable as <N1,N2> with N1 connected to "runway" edges and N2 connected to None, N2 then being off all runways.
  2. apron edges are often absent, or labelled with stupid dummy labels like "*", e.g. at KSEA. Implemented assumption is that ramp edges are unlabelled "taxiway" edges.

Generally speaking, feel free to report on new problems so I can get a general picture, but please distinguish model inconsistencies from simply bogus data (e.g. missing taxiway edge).
Last edited by mickybadia on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickybadia

Re: NEW RELEASE! (r10) incl. ground control and instructions

Postby oscar6662 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:08 pm

hiphip! Hurra! nice Micky!
I've been playing in mostly all positions in solo mode(APPR, TWR GND) and one thing that I didnt know how to do that probably this question mmay be really stupid but in the wiki: solo mode, I didnt find it is if you need to go to the toilet is there a pause button? :)
Todo bien todo correcto? Y yo que me alegro!!!
#keepKSFO

Sir. Berenguer
oscar6662

Callsign: AA2234
IRC name: N/A
Version: 3.4.0.

Postby mickybadia » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks! I am glad that you are having fun with it.

Pausing is available but:
- it was designed for more general use than toilet necessities, in fact primarily for making tea;
- following the realism-over-convenience philosophy, it was classified as a cheat feature: Cheat (menu) >> solo game >> pause simulation.

Related note: when playing teacher, a "pause sim." toggle button is available from the teaching console.
mickybadia

Postby PH-JAKE » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:17 pm

Crashes without a trace as soon as I start modifying RWY configurations. :cry:

Code: Select all
PH-JAKE@host:~/Flightgear/ATC-pie$ ./ATC-pie.py EHAM
Reading world navigation data... done.
Session PID 16448 starting in AD mode at location EHAM.
No airport settings file found; using defaults.
Radar position is: 52°18'27.12''N 4°45'45.13''E
No general settings file found; using defaults.
No background image list found.
defaultServiceProvider::requestService(): no service found for - "org.qt-project.qt.mediaplayer"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/PH-JAKE/Flightgear/ATC-pie-20160712-r10b/GUI/strips.py", line 269, in updateRackViews
    self._updateRackIcons()
  File "/home/PH-JAKE/Flightgear/ATC-pie-20160712-r10b/GUI/strips.py", line 275, in _updateRackIcons
    pixmap.fill(settings.strip_racks[self.rackName(index)])
KeyError: '&Unassigned'
Aborted
PH-JAKE@host:~/Flightgear/ATC-pie$
PH-JAKE

Callsign: PH-JAKE
Version: 2020.3.18

Postby mickybadia » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 pm

PH-JAKE wrote in Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:17 pm:

Quite unexpected: where does that ampersand come from in your rack name? have you been editing the settings file at all by hand? Besides, I do not see any connection with runway configuration (btw do you mean "RWY use" or "RWY parameters/capabilities"?)

Questions:
- what if you delete the settings/apt/EHAM.ini file and rerun?
- does this happen at all airports?
- can you play without trouble and create, manipulate, destroy strip racks if you do not touch any runway-related dialog?
mickybadia

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:51 am

Great job Micky,

I was trying to teach legoboyvdlp ATC-Pie, and his kept crashing, even though I set his up exactly how I set up mine, with WinPython QT5, and for ACI, with WinPython QT5, and they both have ATC-Pie working perfectly fine.

I will try to get the error codes soon, some traceback.

Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby PH-JAKE » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:38 am

mickybadia wrote in Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 pm:
PH-JAKE wrote in Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:17 pm:

Quite unexpected: where does that ampersand come from in your rack name?

No idea, didn't touch that yet. Got here straight after download, unpack and launch.
have you been editing the settings file at all by hand?

No, just downloaded, unpacked and launched.
Besides, I do not see any connection with runway configuration (btw do you mean "RWY use" or "RWY parameters/capabilities"?)

Either:
- RWY parameters
- RWY use
Also, General Settings...
Questions:
- what if you delete the settings/apt/EHAM.ini file and rerun?
- does this happen at all airports?
- can you play without trouble and create, manipulate, destroy strip racks if you do not touch any runway-related dialog?

PH-JAKE@host:~/Flightgear/ATC-pie$ ls -la settings/apt/EHAM.ini
ls: cannot access 'settings/apt/EHAM.ini': No such file or directory

The file never existed, still crashes.

Same with EGKK.

No, creating a new rack:
PH-JAKE@host:~/Flightgear/ATC-pie$ ./ATC-pie.py EGKK
Reading world navigation data... done.
Session PID 5541 starting in AD mode at location EGKK.
No airport settings file found; using defaults.
Radar position is: 51°9'15.20''N 0°11'2.61''W
No general settings file found; using defaults.
No background image list found.
defaultServiceProvider::requestService(): no service found for - "org.qt-project.qt.mediaplayer"
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 1781, resource id: 35674596, major code: 40 (TranslateCoords), minor code: 0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/jaap/Flightgear/ATC-pie-20160712-r10b/GUI/strips.py", line 346, in createRack
    self._addRackView(new_rack_name)
  File "/home/jaap/Flightgear/ATC-pie-20160712-r10b/GUI/strips.py", line 287, in _addRackView
    self._updateRackIcons()
  File "/home/jaap/Flightgear/ATC-pie-20160712-r10b/GUI/strips.py", line 275, in _updateRackIcons
    pixmap.fill(settings.strip_racks[self.rackName(index)])
Aborted
PH-JAKE

Postby mickybadia » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:01 am

OK, before this announcement post turns into a private troubleshooting dialogue, I will take this to PM/email. Anybody with the same problem should get in touch, and in any case I will post the result here when the problem is solved. I would like to keep this post about the release, the features, etc.

NB: In general, my preference for bug reports goes to the SourceForge ticket system since it allows discussion, organised tracking, and does not make the issue private. Otherwise email, or a separate post in the forum.
mickybadia

Postby mickybadia » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:58 am

PH-JAKE wrote in Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:38 am:
mickybadia wrote in Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 pm:Quite unexpected: where does that ampersand come from in your rack name?

No idea, didn't touch that yet. Got here straight after download, unpack and launch.

After a quick diagnosis "in private" I found that this is what is happening, namely an already filed Qt bug which is to be fixed on their side. Our PH-JAKE is actually testing newer versions of KDE, which happen to behave in a non-standard way regarding Qt tabs.

I am considering a quick&dirty fix (eventually to be removed from code) to allow impacted users still to use the program.
@PH-JAKE: get ready for a few side tests later in the week-end :-) [I will be out of town for a few days]
mickybadia

Postby PH-JAKE » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:17 pm

mickybadia wrote in Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:58 am:@PH-JAKE: get ready for a few side tests later in the week-end :-) [I will be out of town for a few days]

Very well. My availability may be limited as well the coming days.
PH-JAKE

Postby mickybadia » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:47 pm

Ampersand problem with rack names solved---well, worked around on my side; still a Qt bug that I guess will be fixed on theirs but not necessarily soon.
Thank you PH-JAKE for your time.
mickybadia

Postby mickybadia » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:15 pm

--> r10c

EDIT: I noticed a problem with old route preset directory naming so cleaned that too and...
--> r10d
mickybadia

Postby mickybadia » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:38 am

I had a quick idea that I wish to suggest you, though you remain a free person:

it0uchpods wrote in Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:51 am:I set up mine, with WinPython QT5, and for ACI, with WinPython QT5, and they both have ATC-Pie working perfectly fine.

You have done it several times, and since I was asked more than once without knowing much about Windows+Qt, it would be a nice help if you could record yourself doing it once, and publish a video for easy Windows install. I would link to it in the README, and it would make many users' lives easier to get started with ATC-pie on Windows.

Enjoy anyway.
mickybadia

Postby mickybadia » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:39 am

...and sorry for the series of updates, but I have noticed an X-plane update which was worth including, also a couple minor bugs so we are now at r10f.
NB: Those annoyed by repetitive downloading should consider git.
mickybadia

Return to ATC-pie