Board index FlightGear Release candidates 3.2

FlightGear 3.2 RC2 available for download and testing

This is the archive of topics about the 3.2 release candidates.

FlightGear 3.2 RC2 available for download and testing

Postby curt » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:44 am

The second release candidate for FlightGear v3.2.0 is now available for download and testing. This release fixes an important but with the interaction between the effects system and the property system that was leading to crashes. This fix has a nice side effect of significantly improving performance for many people.

Download links for 3.2.0-rc2 can be found at the bottom of the "Download Central" page on the main flightgear website:

http://www.flightgear.org/download/

Release candidate FAQ

I think I found a bug, but I'm not sure yet.
Please open a topic in our special "Release candidates" subforum. Try to post as much detail as you can (screenshot, system specs (OS, graphics card), full commandline etc.). Other testers will try to replicate "your" bug. If they succeed, it's likely that it is a real bug. In that case, please report it at our bug tracker and include a link to the forum topic in your report.

I found a bug in an older version of FlightGear. Can I still report it?
Generally speaking no. FlightGear is under constant development and bugs are fixed almost daily. With that in mind it's very plausible that the bug has been fixed already. Therefore it is important that testers always use the latest (development) version. Nevertheless, it might be helpful to know whether the bug was already present in former releases...

I found a bug.
Please report it at our bug tracker.

Can I also report feature requests?
It's not the purpose of these release candidates, but... yes you can do so at the tracker. Make sure you select the "Feature request" template. And keep in mind that FlightGear is created by volunteers; in general the feature will be implemented much quicker when you make some effort yourself.

Can I update once the stable release is there?
Yes and no. You can of course install the latest release, but FlightGear offers no updater (yet). This means that you'll have to redownload the complete package once the stable release comes out.
curt
Administrator

Re: FlightGear 3.2 RC2 available for download and testing

Postby Talkless » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:47 am

Compiled new RC2, can still reproduce memory leak.
Talkless

Callsign: TLS
IRC name: Talkless
Version: git master

Postby Hooray » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:58 pm

In my opinion, reset/re-init-related leaks are not that critical for the time being - reset/re-init is unlikely to be used very often given that this feature is not promoted widely, also its primary developer hasn't been seen on the devel list/forums (or commits logs) in months - in general, more involved issues are unlikely to be fixed by core developers who were not involved in implementing the feature - and in this case, the main core developer able to help review your bug report seems n/a currently, which makes it even more unlikely for the issue to be fixed in time for 3.2. Thus, I wouldn't hold my breath, filing a bug report was the right thing to do, and you can add a corresponding {{Issue|1559}} tag to the reset/re-init article here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Reset_%26_re-init

Also note that a few of us have been working towards tracking memory usage per subsystems to better help track such issues much earlier - this is still being prototyped, but the general idea is summarized at: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Subsystem-le ... FlightGear

Feel free to also add a link to your bug report there.

In general, you are obviously right that this should be fixed ASAP, but in reality, FlightGear development is severely limited by available manpower, i.e. people able to troubleshoot/fix and review patches. And even if you had a number of patches ready to fix this, those would still be unlikely to be reviewed/committed in time for 3.2 unfortunately - the number of core developers who feel qualified patches touching more than a single distinct feature is extremely low, most core developers really only feel comfortable touching code that they've either written themselves or that they're at least somewhat familiar with. So there's that, too. For the time being, reset/re-init must be considered an experimental feature which still needs some TLC - I've seen some of my own related patches rejected/controversially discussed by other core developers, so please don't take this personal - it is what it is, and things will be ironed out, once the right people can have a look. In the meantime, any additional troubleshooting and bug reporting will obviously be appreciated, but should preferably be done via the issue tracker and discussed there (you could also ask for zakalawe to be CC'ed there)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Talkless » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:52 pm

Hooray wrote in Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:58 pm:I and you can add a corresponding {{Issue|1559}} tag to the reset/re-init article here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Reset_%26_re-init

Thanks, done.

Hooray wrote in Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:58 pm:FlightGear development is severely limited by available manpower, i.e. people able to troubleshoot/fix and review patches. And even if you had a number of patches ready to fix this, those would still be unlikely to be reviewed/committed in time for 3.2 unfortunately

Yeah I guess your are right. I've wrote a note to developers mailing list for last resort, but that's actually quite still naive. Let's see the future. Maybe I will able to help more "practically".

Sorry if I was annoying btw :wink:
Talkless

Callsign: TLS
IRC name: Talkless
Version: git master

Postby berkut » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:35 pm

Here are some problems with this RC2....

For all of aircraft that I have installed right now,in the command prompt there's this error,among many others: This aircraft does not use the latest yasim configuration version.

The result is that some aircraft are close to unflyable.Some don't even work,like the FGUK SU-27. There's also a lot of different Nasal errors.

If needed ,I will post all of the errors I had with the SU-27.

System specs:
Intel P4,
2.4 GHz,
Asus Radeon A9200SE
Windows XP.
A winner is a dreamer who never gives up...
berkut

Callsign: Berkut
Version: 2017 3 1

Postby Philosopher » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:45 pm

The YASim configuration is just a warning, not an error (it really doesn't mean much, it just says that there have been changes to YASim). So please post the errors and more specifics about what you mean by "close to unflyable"/"don't even work".
Philosopher

Postby Thorsten » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:15 pm

For all of aircraft that I have installed right now,in the command prompt there's this error,among many others: This aircraft does not use the latest yasim configuration version.

The result is that some aircraft are close to unflyable

The YASim configuration is just a warning, not an error (it really doesn't mean much, it just says that there have been changes to YASim).

In fact, as far as I know the version system works such that if you see the warning, YaSim runs in the old fallback version which has not been changed from the last release, so the very fact that you see this warning is an indication that whatever you see is not caused by changes in YaSim.
Thorsten

Postby berkut » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:46 pm

OK thanks everyone for the answers. I'm talking to the guys at FGUK to see what is going on with their SU-27.

Thanks everyone once again.

Regards.
berkut

Postby KL-666 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:31 am

I am flying rc2 for a while now and my subjective verdict is that is more stable and less resource (fps) consumptive. To me it is a great step forward in an effort to quality. Sure there may be still lots of resource guzzling bad code, but this is already very good.

Since rc2 i have reinstated threading in the one with the largest word: CullCameraAndThreadSometing. Sorry forgot the exact word. But it performs great. The occasional crashes are much less than before when forced to use single threaded, because threaded caused really a lot of crashes.

Kind regards, Vincent

On Win 8, i7 8 threads, geforce 670mx
KL-666

Postby Torsten » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:40 am

Thank you for the feedback.

KL-666 wrote in Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:31 am:Since rc2 i have reinstated threading in the one with the largest word: CullCameraAndThreadSometing. Sorry forgot the exact word. But it performs great. The occasional crashes are much less than before when forced to use single threaded, because threaded caused really a lot of crashes.

FWIW, I am currently setting up a machine for FSweekend having four graphic cards and eight 1920x1200 monitors attached. The renderer is configured to use exactly one camera per monitor. Multithreading works perfectly well up to CullDrawThreadPerContext. CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext crashes soon after startup but only if I define more than three cameras.

Also noticable is that this year I am able to run much more eye candy with all displays on. In previous years, I had to disable all shaders and random objects to get acceptable frame rates.

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby KL-666 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi Torsten,

That must be a monstrous experience, eight high density monitors. I have only tested with my one humble 17 inch 1920x1080 laptop display. There i found the following about the different Thread models.

CullDrawThreadPerContext gave me the least fps and experience.

DrawThreadPerContext and CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext gave me about equal fps and experience. But when looking at the load on my cpu threads, then DrawThreadPerContext tends to use one thread at 100% and others very little. CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext has a better load balance, where a couple of cpu threads are high, but none at 100%.

To avoid being limited by one 100% cpu thread i chose CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext, even though i have read it should be more suitable for multi-gpu and is maybe a bit less stable.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby berkut » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:28 pm

I have a problem with this RC again...this time it's the Terrasync.

When enabling it iin FG,it looks like this:Image

So far,I tried just about everything I could think of to make it work ,but it's always the same.

Regards.
berkut

Postby Hooray » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:33 pm

please post your console log and/or log file (to be found in $FG_HOME)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby berkut » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:17 pm

OK ,will do.

Thanks.
berkut

Postby MasteroftheSKIES » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:43 pm

Have you tried checking "TerraSync" in FGRun? Or possibly reloading the scenery?
I would use FSX but I use FlightGear because it's a project with goals.

Windows 7; Processor: 8 core 4 GHz; 8GB RAM; Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (a pretty good graphics card if you're wondering)
MasteroftheSKIES

Version: 3.2

Return to 3.2