Board index FlightGear Release candidates 3.2

Some bugs or errors with the FG 3.2 RC 1

This is the archive of topics about the 3.2 release candidates.

Some bugs or errors with the FG 3.2 RC 1

Postby berkut » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Hello everyone.

I have a few errors or bugs when using the FG 3.2 RC 1.

Boeing 737 NG, F11 for the AP and F12 for the radio seem to be unconnected. You can press these two keys as much as you want but nothing will happen. The aircraft it self works without a hitch.

MD-11 from Jormapapa1235 ,auto-land not working. Everything else without any problem.

The new Canvas Map Feature is just blank white...
Aircraft Center same thing..sometimes FG freezes when trying to use it.

And one suggestion... When FG Tape Recorder saves the video ,the format is fgtape...completely useless for any normal video player. Is it possible to make it save the video in any of the standard video formats?

Regards.
A winner is a dreamer who never gives up...
berkut

Callsign: Berkut
Version: 2017 3 1

Re: Some bugs or errors with the FG 3.2 RC 1

Postby Hooray » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi & welcome!

Thanks for taking the time to test those RCs, really appreciated !

However, aircraft specific issues are not relevant to the release as a whole.
Regarding the Canvas related issues you are mentioning, those would seem to suggest that your GPU/driver is lacking support for features required for Canvas - which is exactly why we're asking people to provide complete bug reports, including their GPU make/model and OS/driver etc (see the red box at the top of the support forum):

Subject: Blank white popup window
Hooray wrote:please post your hardware specs as per the box at the top of the forum.
It seems that you are lacking some OpenGL support that is required by the new canvas system.
This has been recently reported at least once: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=20887&hilit=canvas+fbo
So please follow up with your exact hardware/software specs, including info from the HELP/ABOUT dialog.
And if you are affected by this, please consider filing a bug report so that we can look into it: http://flightgear-bugs.googlecode.com/

I've asked people seeing this to please get in touch to help us better understand what's going - and test patches:
Subject: Blank white popup window
Hooray wrote:could the people getting "white canvases" please get in touch to test a patch ?
Basically, the idea is to check if FBO setup failed and try some more conservative alternatives like pbuffers or ARBs instead.
We can use PIXEL_BUFFER_RTT or PIXEL_BUFFER instead of FRAME_BUFFER_OBJECT: http://lists.openscenegraph.org/piperma ... 04790.html

Given that we're going to use Canvas in more and more placed, including the GUI, it would seem like a good idea to get this sorted obviously.
On the other hand, it is hard to troubleshoot this without being affected by the problem yourself :-)

it's not a new problem: http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear- ... 20103.html

Otherwise, as has been previously discussed, core developers are considering to phase out support for older GPUs post 3.xx and elevate the hardware requirements accordingly because FlightGear is going to require certain features, so that better performance can be provided in the future (e.g. for 4.xx):

Subject: white popup message
zakalawe wrote:Unfortunately there is obviously a driver bug or genuine hardware limitation on these really old Intel chipsets. I think we might need to consider officially un-supporting them from 3.0 (since we can already detect the vendor as Intel). I believe 940-class chips are okay, and the 2000/3000/4000HD versions seem to work, but the earlier 9xx and before are going to be problematic.

(I'm also surprised the sim can run at usable frame-rate on such hardware, even ignoring the FBO problems!)

berkut wrote in Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:10 pm:And one suggestion... When FG Tape Recorder saves the video ,the format is fgtape...completely useless for any normal video player. Is it possible to make it save the video in any of the standard video formats?

Not possible/feasible, for a proper exaplanation, please see: Subject: Replay Conversion
Hooray wrote:
HelldiverSquadron wrote in Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:54 pm:Seemed like a binary trait. I opened it in Notepad ++, but it was just rubbish. I don't mean that it is a video format, but rather could I import it into, say, Blender, and then export it as something else? It's way too optimistic, I know. Thanks, all!

again, the format is basically seralized FlightGear properties, please see $FG_ROOT/Docs/flightrecorder.README - these are all just "numbers", the format is determined by FlightGear, and these numbers do not mean ANYTHING outside FlightGear, and even inside FlightGear it's really just the flight recorder subsystem that is able to open/process those files, read in the numbers and map them to the corresponding FlightGear properties - which in turn allows things to be animated/replayed over time JUST VIA FlightGear.

There's really no need to continue this discussion at all - all the responses given so far were rather exact, detailed and 100% correct. There's no reasonable way to visually "replay" those files outside FlightGear, short of rewriting FlightGear itself, or extending another flight simulator to partially re-interpret certain values. Unless that is something that you are interested, willing and capable to do, I'd just leave it at that.

What FlightGear is writing to those files is not actual "visual" stuff at all, it's just "gibberish" in the sense of properties that are only meaningful to FlightGear itself, and its features, most properties are in fact aircraft specific. Imagine those files to be containers for binary FlightGear properties, i.e. things like altitude, longitude, latitude - but also engine settings, flap settings, gear status etc.

So there's really just numbers stored there, nothing visual that would make sense to visually re-interpret outside a flight simulator environment like FlightGear.

To actually replay even just a single aircraft specific animation in FlightGear, you would have to write a python script that 1) loads the aircraft, 2) looks up the 3D objects, 3) maps the properties to animations - and completely ignore anything related to scenery, because it's typically just aircraft specific stuff that is recorded.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: Some bugs or errors with the FG 3.2 RC 1

Postby berkut » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:44 pm

Thank you. :)

I will post my PC specs along with errors log (if any of them show up on the console).

Right now,I'm a little bit busy with some liveries but I will take some time and report it properly.

Just one thing,these aircraft related errors,where to post them?

Regards.
A winner is a dreamer who never gives up...
berkut

Callsign: Berkut
Version: 2017 3 1

Return to 3.2