Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

Where to get fgdata-osgearth?  Topic is solved

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

Where to get fgdata-osgearth?  

Postby rebootl » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:01 am

Hello

I finally managed to build the 2016.2.0-OsgEarth branches from https://gitlab.com/poweroftwo _on Arch Linux_.

Now, however I can't find any fgdata-osgearth. It is not on gitlab, and gitorious is long gone... Is it even needed any longer/can the regular fgdata be used ?
A fork of FGData on sourceforge would be the most logical/best place IMHO, but I can't find an obvious one...

Anybody an idea ?

If it eventually results in a working install, I'd be glad to document the build process etc.. But after a vast amount of frustration in trying to get this to work, mainly one and two years ago, I only believe it when I actually see it running ;)...

Thx
rebootl

Re: Where to get fgdata-osgearth?

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:35 am

i would suggest to look for that fgdata on the site you pulled the code for osgearth from... to be honest, it can't exist anywhere else AFAIK... especially with all the changes and not seeing anything similar in the official repos... you should note that if you do find such a fgdata-osgearth repo, it will likely be waaaay out of date compared to the current fgdata...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby rebootl » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:27 am

Well, thanks for your reply. But it's not really helpful.

Yeah, of course I looked there, I even posted the link (gitlab), however I couldn't find it. As already mentioned.

It used to be on gitorious, also see the outdated wiki article. http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_FlightGear_with_osgEarth_Integration

Am I missing something ?

Regarding the "outdated" comment:
As Hooray mentioned in another thread, poweroftwo rebased the changes onto 2016.2.0, which I assumed is the 2016.2.0-OsgEarth branch I used (or one of these, there are several). So, that's not _that_ outdated at all. Furthermore I think the critical parts are not in fgdata anyway.

So, I assume at least poweroftwo does have some fgdata-osgearth for 2016.2.0.
Does anyone else has the rebased 2016.2.0 osgearth branch running ?

Or can someone tell what the changes on fgdata-osgearth compared to a regular fgdata are ? Maybe from an older osgearth integration
(git diff maybe).

Thanks
rebootl

Postby wlbragg » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:20 am

@rebootl I have a local copy of fgdata-osgearth but it is over 11 gig. I am zipping it up to see what the final size is.
I also have fgmindata. Which is approx. 666 meg. See if the fgmindata will work first. If not we can discuss the full package.

Maybe I could trade you for a build package when you are successfully finished setting it up?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby rebootl » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks wlbragg. I can report back that it worked, sort of.

After fixing the version file I was able to start fg using the fgmindata. Loading stopped at the splash screen at "loading scenery". Switching to osgearth at this point (via the menu) lead to a crash complaining about missing kml models or so.
However using LSZH airport (no model) switching to osgearth actually worked!
Some issues are there e.g. a white square where the sun should be, but I think those should be fixable.

I think Jeff (poweroftwo) made a great job, creating this, but also in rebasing it on 2016.2.0.
So, I could imagine trying to rebase the data part and e.g. create a fork on sourceforge if that's possible. But I would need to know the differences. I think I'll try to contact poweroftwo. So it may take some time..

11GB is a lot, I guess it must be from before the fgaddon split.
@wlbragg is your fgdata-osgearth a git repository ? (Did you clone it, does it contain a .git directory.)

As for a package. Packagin in linux is hard. Even if I'd provide you the binaries it's likely to not work because of shared library issues etc.. As mentioned previously I plan on document/update the build process on the wiki so that hopefully more people can use this on linux. Also getting it to bulid well on linux it may increase the chance of getting it included in the main fg at some point. Currently there are still some issues I'd like to figure out or evtl. fix/get fixed (before documenting it).
rebootl

Postby wlbragg » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:49 am

I plan on document/update the build process on the wiki so that hopefully more people can use this on linux.

That'll work!

is your fgdata-osgearth a git repository ?

Yes, actually it is.

It is on a Windows drive and looks like I actually have the compiled fgfs.exe and probably everything to run it. Appears to be version 3.1.0.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby rebootl » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:45 pm

Ok. I just got pointed at: https://bitbucket.org/simperative/fgdata.git

I think that's the current location for the "fgdata-osgearth". Haven't checked it out yet, it'll all take some time.

Thanks again.
rebootl

Return to osgEarth