Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

Dual Linux/Windows users:Cross-compiling FG/osgEarth for Win

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

Dual Linux/Windows users:Cross-compiling FG/osgEarth for Win

Postby Hooray » Sun May 31, 2015 3:16 pm

Referring to: Subject: [SOLVED] Install osgEarth feature on Win7 64b with FG git
elgaton wrote:I agree completely, introducing cross-compiling support could be a good idea.

during the last two weeks, hamzaalloush and saiarcot895 have been making lots of progress using mxe/mingw to build Windows binaries on Linux. The mid-term goal here is to provide FG/osgEarth binaries for Windows end-users via cross-compiling on Linux, so that end-users no longer need to be able to patch & build FG from soure, but can just download pre-compiled binaries for 3.4 (and probably 3.6 in a few months time).

We're looking for people with access to Linux/Windows to help with testing/developing cross-compiled binaries for Windows on Linux using the mxe toolchain.

If anybody wants to get involved, please leave your system specs (OS, distro) here - so that we can grow a list of people familiar with both, Linux and Windows (alternatively, emulation/virtualization via VirtualBox/Qemu etc) - for now, we are primarily looking for people familiar with building FG from source, and ideally also familiar with using git.

Note that most testing/development is currently taking place on Ubuntu 14.04 - so people on a different distro should be prepared to do some integration/porting work (e.g. matching packages etc).

Currently, we're able to cross-compile OpenSceneGraph on Linux for Windows and run most OSG examples:

The next steps ahead are getting osgEarth.mk to compile/link via mxe, and creating corresponding simgear.mk/flightgear.mk for mxe, at which point we will investigate porting poweroftwo's autobuilder to use mxe instead.

People familiar with cmake/autotools or gcc internals are obviously also invited to get involved :D

For details and updates, please refer to: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_Fli ... _Compiling
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: Dual Linux/Windows users:Cross-compiling FG/osgEarth for

Postby elgaton » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:30 am

Though I don't have much time right now, I'm leaving my specifications here, hoping I'll be able to contribute starting from September/October:
  • Installed OSs: Arch Linux + Windows 8.1 (to be upgraded to Windows 10); since I've had access to a DreamSpark account until the last days, I'm also able to virtualize all major Microsoft OS versions (XP/Vista/7/...)
  • Familiar with Git/SVN; able to compile FlightGear under Linux
  • Current "roadblocks": slow Internet connection, some FG Windows compilation problems I still need to solve
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Return to osgEarth