Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

[SOLVED] Install osgEarth feature on Win7 64b with FG git  Topic is solved

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

[SOLVED] Install osgEarth feature on Win7 64b with FG git

Postby Catalanoic » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi, I started this thread about osgEarth because the osgEarth installation information on the wiki and forum is outdated and it is unclear for beginners.
Objective: I want this feature in latest FG (git) on Windows 7 64b because this can help me locate shared objects to be placed later with more precision and faster as the normal method with coordinates.
What have I done: I tried to install this feature based on the first post created by poweroftwo but without success because it is intended for a different version of FG. Later, Hooray told me that I need to compile the simulator and the osgEarth-plugin feature codes manually to have the feature available. Then, I followed the instructions at:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_using_CMake_-_Windows
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_FlightGear_with_osgEarth_Integration
but i have some problems.
1 - I've downloaded and installed: Git for Windows, CMake GUI, Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Express (Visual C# 2010 Express package) and Visual Studio 2010 SP1.
2 - I've downloaded the three repositories (with Git for Windows): simgear, flightgear and fgdata and the osgEarth repository too.
3 - I'm stuck in the process of Configuring Simgear (point 4 on Building section). When i select Visual Studio 2010 Win64 and i press OK shows a Error window with the text: "Error in configuration process, project files may be invalid" therefore the configuration step is incomplete and appeared errors. :roll:

What shall I do?

Thankyou, I apologize because I do not write English correctly so if there are any questions please let me know.

EDIT (18/04/2015): Solution (my own): Definitely I installed the prepared version of poweroftwo (3.1.0), read this post.
Last edited by Catalanoic on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Re: Help me! Install osgEarth feature on Win7 64b with FG gi

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:51 pm

For people entirely new to building software, the cmake superbuild is generally considered the most accessible method:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Superbuild
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Superbuild_on_Windows

However, like I said previously - you really need to take step-by-step here, or the whole experience will be frustrating - applying the osgEarth patches is only the final step, but there are quite a few steps necessary before you can even look at the osgEarth branch.

Basically, you need to make sure that all FG dependencies are available and that you can build FG from source - once that is the case, you would apply the osgEarth patches.

Depending on your background, you may want to get in touch with a few other Windows-based contributors interested in osgEarth and maybe work out a way to work together on this - a few people here regularly build FG from source (including on Windows), and others regularly use osgEarth - so if you find even just building "stock FG" difficult, it might be easier to do a little research on the forum and do a bit of networking to work out a team of people who might be interested in regularly providing pre-built binaries with osgEarth support. Along the way, you could help to update the osgEarth docs on the wiki accordingly.

The other option is filing a feature request so that the osgEarth branch will be built by the build server, so that you and others can simply download the binaries.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:06 pm

Thankyou! But the gitorious links on the wiki are invalid! Today is all at github, right?
fgdata: https://github.com/FGDATA/fgdata
fgmeta: https://github.com/FlightGear/fgmeta

Hooray wrote in Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:51 pm:The other option is filing a feature request so that the osgEarth branch will be built by the build server, so that you and others can simply download the binaries.

This seems like a good idea, a way to get this feature in the simulator to more people.
Hooray wrote in Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:51 pm:Along the way, you could help to update the osgEarth docs on the wiki accordingly.

I don't think I have enough knowledge of english to write documentation in the wiki
Catalanoic

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:37 pm

see the latest newsletter released for the repository changes or click on "Source" at the top of the forum.
And your English seems just fine to me - we have many other people who regularly contribute to the wiki without possessing your English skills, so don't worry about that - also, there are others willing to help review/edit contributions made by non-native speakers. Besides, it is even possible to contribute to the wiki in your native language, too - which is another excellent way for getting involved.

EDIT: Here's a recent posting from the devel list detailing how to build FG itself on Windows: http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/mai ... /33714945/
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks! Therefore, the official repository is Sourceforge? Then I wrote:
Code: Select all
git clone --recursive git://git.code.sf.net/p/flightgear/fgmeta flightgear-fgmeta
to get all branches.
EDIT: Thankyou! I can write in Spanish, Catalan and some German too.
Catalanoic

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:36 pm

When i do the Cmake step i've obtained the same error as before
CMakeError.log:
http://pastebin.com/UdGqmnSK

Maybe someone can help with this problem
Catalanoic

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:44 pm

it seems that cmake/the GUI itself isn't yet configured properly - are you able to build trivial hello-world style applications[1] using the cmake GUI ?

[1]: https://github.com/jameskbride/cmake-hello-world
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:05 pm

Hooray wrote in Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:44 pm:it seems that cmake/the GUI itself isn't yet configured properly - are you able to build trivial hello-world style applications[1] using the cmake GUI ?

[1]: https://github.com/jameskbride/cmake-hello-world

Same error: http://pastebin.com/Q6D2fFbn
Catalanoic

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Okay, then it's unrelated to FG - and related to either your VC++ installation and/or cmake/GUI:

I am not on Windows, and haven't used VC++ in years - so take this with a grain of salt, but I got this when googling error MSB4019: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1971 ... th-was-not

So might be worth trying (if you succeed, please update the wiki accordingly)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:31 pm

as I had said from the beginning, the process is tedious, confusing and not clear, and we see that we are losing enough time. Now I do not know what steps to follow and what is the best direction to fix this (I know, linux, but now I'm using Windows, then I have my reasons). It seems to compile the code is not so easy
Catalanoic

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:49 pm

have you tried the fix suggested above ?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:16 am

I did not understand anything about the link you provided me. So I uninstalled everything, and I did the process again
Catalanoic

Postby ludomotico » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:21 am

Hooray, Catalaonic is downloading the last git version of simgear & flightgear.

Is that version compatible with osgEarth?

As far as I know, the commands and repositories available in the wiki are still valid and the only outdated information is the number of the version. osgEarth only works with version 3.1 and you have to download the repositories in gitorious, not in sourceforge.

In any case, compiling from the source code is not an easy task, as Catalaonic have just discovered.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:24 am

No, the patches available do not apply cleanly onto 3.4+ - but a while ago, someone posted patches necessary to make this work - i.e. it's a handful of files that are affected IIRC, mostly the SG/FG changes due to the recent PagedLOD efforts. Pretty much everything else should apply as is using git rebase. I think poweroftwo also stated somewhere on the forum that he wants to supports "next" if possible. So yeah, I was posting under the assumption that this is what this thread is about: applying the osgEarth patches onto next.

I haven't built FG in months, so I may not be up to date WRT recent changes related to this - but as far I can see, the number of files affected should still be relatively small.
But it seems that this thread is more about building even just FG itself on Windows.

Like I said previously, it might make sense to gather a team of people familiar with building SG/FG on Windows who have shown an interest in using the osgEarth branch and work through patching things (FG/SG) accordingly, so that the branches and instructions can be updated - and maybe even so that the build server can provide binaries in the future - currently, the barrier to entry seems pretty high for people entirely new to building software from source.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:45 am

I solved the error. I'll write about how I made it to work on my system.
EDIT: I am now compiling, and that takes a while
Catalanoic

Next

Return to osgEarth