Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

[SOLVED] Install osgEarth feature on Win7 64b with FG git  Topic is solved

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

Re: Help me! Install osgEarth feature on Win7 64b with FG gi

Postby wlbragg » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:30 am

I would be interested in applying osgearth to FG next. I attempted this a while back with some success but forgot the major step of fgdata. I haven't tried building FG since the move to SF though. I'll see if I can get it to build in the next week or two and continue on with my attempt at osgearth (next) or provide any assistance as needed.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby hamzaalloush » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:13 am

I'll start a build environment on a Windows 7 spare machine, hopefully will be done by tomorrow, but I never compiled FG/SG with osgEarth patch, only FG git. I'll probably need assistance along the way if necessary alongside the wiki.
hamzaalloush

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:48 am

I'm stuck on "Note: The first build is very long so be patient. The meta solution should automatically install the binaries at the location specified in CMake. The FlightGear project of the meta solution does not contain the source code, so you should edit it by openning the FlightGear solution instead (e.g. D:\Projets\fgbuild\fgbuild\FlightGear.sln). And to be able to run the last built version, you must build the INSTALL project." of the building section. There's no fgbuild\FlightGear.sln on the whole folder.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:18 pm

To fix the error described above with CMake I followed these steps, under Windows 7 64-bit
1 - Preparations: Be sure that there is no previous installation of Visual Studio on your system, if so uninstall it
2 - Download the following programs required: Git for Windows, CMake GUI, Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Visual C++ 2010 Express (only Visual C++ 2010 Express package) and Subversion client (Cmake needs it).
3 - Install required software: Install (on this order): Git, CMake, Windows SDK, Visual Studio C++ 2010 and finally the subversion client
4 - Downloading FG (latest): Open Git for Windows in your C drive and type:
Code: Select all
mkdir fgmeta
(or create the folder with Windows and open this folder with right-click "Git Bash"). Then, execute:
Code: Select all
git clone --recursive git://git.code.sf.net/p/flightgear/fgmeta flightgear-fgmeta
to download FG (all branches). This can take a while.
5 - CMake step: When done, open CMake Gui and specify the location of your local repository including fgmeta. It is C:\fgmeta. Then, specify where you want to create the solution file. It's more conveniant to create it in another folder such as C:\fgbuild. Click on Configure and Yes if fgbuild folder was not created. Then, select your generator (here Visual Studio 10 2010 WIn64) and Finish button. Then you should get two lines or more specifically two variables. The which one we interested in is the following CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX. This is where your binaries, when built, will be installed. Type something like C:/fginstall and press Generate. This can take a while.
6 - Visual Studio step: Go in the build directory (C:/fgbuild) and open FlightGear-Meta.sln with Visual Studio 2010. On the solution explorer select OSG an then the configuration at the top (there're some options: Debug, Release, RelWithDebInfo, etc). We select the Release for OSG, then. right-click on the OSG branch and click Generate. This can take a while. Once OSG is built, do the same with Simgear, Flightgear and FGRun branches separately but with the RelWithDebInfo config.

I have not done anything more because I have no fginstall binary files and no C:\fgbuild\fgbuild\FlightGear.sln as it is described in the wiki.
Catalanoic

Postby poweroftwo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:21 pm

wlbragg wrote in Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:30 am:I would be interested in applying osgearth to FG next. I attempted this a while back with some success but forgot the major step of fgdata. I haven't tried building FG since the move to SF though. I'll see if I can get it to build in the next week or two and continue on with my attempt at osgearth (next) or provide any assistance as needed.

A few weeks ago i ported the osgEarth integration to a FG 3.4 tag. You might start with that.

The branch name is: OsgEarth-FG3.4 for simgear / flightgear / fgdata

[edited April 19,2015, now points to gitlab for repos location]

flightgear:
https://gitlab.com/poweroftwo/flightgear-osgearth.git (branch: OsgEarth-FG3.4)

simgear:
https://gitlab.com/poweroftwo/simgear-osgearth.git (branch: OsgEarth-FG3.4)

the fgdata repository is here:
git clone https://simperative@bitbucket.org/simpe ... fgdata.git (branch: OsgEarth-FG3.4)
Last edited by poweroftwo on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
poweroftwo

Postby wlbragg » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:53 pm

poweroftwo wrote in Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:21 pm:A few weeks ago i ported the osgEarth integration to a FG 3.4 tag. You might start with that.

Your wonderful, thank you for your efforts.
Last edited by wlbragg on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wlbragg

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:06 pm

it seems that Linux users can more easily compile this project
Catalanoic

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:32 pm

Linux/Unix users are generally more accustomed to building software from source - on Unix-based platforms it isn't rare even for non-developers to regularly configure/compile and install software - whereas it is much less common on Windows, which is why you need to install a bunch of things to even end up with a working build environment, whereas a Unix-based system will often have everything pre-installed. In addition, FlightGear is a complex piece of software, especially in terms of build-time/run-time dependencies - so people entirely new to the whole process of building software from source are likely to find this pretty frustrating. Personally, I also find setting up a build environment on Linux much easier than doing the same on Windows, despite being pretty familiar with the required workflows - but that doesn't have to do much with FG - the superbuild should help automate most of the required steps these days.
Then again, like I said previously, people struggling with even just building stock FG from source, will definitely not appreciate having to deal with git and other command line tools to build a customized FG versions, such as the osgEarth branch.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:47 pm

The user Saga on the wikie wrote this instructions. I do not know how to contact him for more information. My problem now is the generation of the program in Visual Studio. Someone with experience in the field can help me? Thanks!
Catalanoic

Postby wlbragg » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:41 pm

poweroftwo wrote in Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:21 pm:A few weeks ago i ported the osgEarth integration to a FG 3.4 tag. You might start with that.

I sure hope you moved or backed up your repo, they are not on gitorious anymore as it shut down. Do you have a new location for them?
wlbragg

Postby poweroftwo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:43 pm

wlbragg wrote in Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:41 pm:

I sure hope you moved or backed up your repo, they are not on gitorious anymore as it shut down. Do you have a new location for them?

Gitorious is still working but they do seem a bit slow lately. I expect to move to GitLab soon.
poweroftwo

Postby wlbragg » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:46 pm

OK, I'll keep trying then. They must be having trouble right now.

It took awhile but I was finally able to get it all. Thanks again.
wlbragg

Postby chriscalef » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:20 am

Just wanted to say hello on this thread, I don't have a lot of time right now but I would be interested in being a part of the effort to make windows compiles easier. I'm a relatively experienced game developer in a windows environment, but I also had a lot of trouble getting all the flightgear dependencies to line up. Glad you got it working!
chriscalef

Postby elgaton » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:23 am

Me too! (May I suggest you join the flightgear-devel mailing list as well, if you are not already subscribed to it? I'm currently trying to port FlightGear to VS2013 and have got a couple of proposals related to the build process).
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:13 pm

if the mailing list is not an option, just put up merge requests and use the infrastructure there to discuss any proposals/changes - alternatively, I'd suggest to use the wiki for that, to keep everybody in the loop, especially those using neither the forum, nor the devel list.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

PreviousNext

Return to osgEarth