Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

New FG and need some help

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

New FG and need some help

Postby eben » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:15 pm

Hey all,

I am new to Flightgear my first flight was two days ago, and my 1st post is now.

I am running a live version of ubuntu off a usb stick, and I have flightgear installed on it. It works pretty good, no real issues. I thought it may be slow and laggy...but it runs smooth.
So I want to try and test better scenery and found the youtube video showing flightgear with osgearth.

I thought they looked pretty nice and wanted to try it out, but I am finding it hard to get good documentation on how to install it. I found this...

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_FlightGear_with_osgEarth_Integration

but I am having a little bit of hard time following it. For one example this is under the assumptions...

You already have working branches of SG/FG and FGData, you only need to add the simperative branches as remote tracking branches

I'm thinking, what's a branch? What's SG? .... SimGear do I have that and I wonder if it got installed with flighthgear, and did FGData get installed with the ubuntu binary ?
I don't know this stuff because I just did an "apt-get" to install Flightgear and had the program less than a week.

so my question is, is there any updated information on the linux install or any binaries already created for osgearth?
Or maybe some other options I am not aware of, so any input or advice would be nice.

thanks,
eben

Re: New FG and need some help

Postby Hooray » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi & welcome,

please see below:

Subject: 3.2 osgearth or other integrated real time satellite data?
Hooray wrote:you do need osgEarth support for that, which is not included in any of the standard releases so far - which is why you need to follow the instructions from the osgEarth thread - however, osgEarth in 3.2 is a completely different matter, because this may very well involve building FlightGear from source (patching and building FlightGear from source using git and a compiler) - all of this is fairly well documented via a number of different wiki articles.
However, it is a fairly technical and tedious process, certainly for people new to compiling software. In other words, osgEarth support in FlightGear in its current form hasn't yet been included in any official release, which means that it must be considered an experimental feature, which is primarily supported by the community, through a number of wiki articles, forum threads/postings and instructions on getting it to work.

In general, you are unlikely to succeed building FG/osgEarth from source unless you already understand how to build "stock" FlightGear from source - ideally, via git - including most of its dependencies.
Currently, you are using a so called package manager, for installing pre-compiled binaries.

It would however be possible to use the FlightGear build server to automatically build the osgEarth branch until osgEarth has been reviewed/committed into mainline - for that, please file a feature request and get in touch with other users suggesting to do the same. Once there's a sufficient number of users interested in using osgEarth provided the build server, it should be possible to set up a Jenkins job to automate FG/osgearth builds, analogous to our nightly snapshots.

To file a feature request, please visit: https://code.google.com/p/flightgear-bu ... %20request

Alternatively, you could get in touch with the ppa maintainer to ask him to also provide osgEarth-based binaries via apt.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby elgaton » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:48 pm

At present, since osgEarth is still in development, there aren't any binaries for Linux - you need to download and compile FlightGear from source.

We use Git to manage the source code, so most of the terms you encountered are related to it. Specifically:
  • the source code is held in multiple repositories or, for brevity, repos (think of them as "virtual collections" of related files);
  • a branch is a "section" a developer creates in the repository to edit the code without affecting the work of others.
(You might want to have a look at Git for Laymen to know more about Git). In this case, osgEarth-related work is kept in separate branches because it's best not to integrate it into the main FlightGear program until it's ready for general use and stable.

SG or SimGear is the simulation engine used by FlightGear, and fgdata is the collection of data (scripts, aircraft...) used by FlightGear. Generally speaking, the versions of SimGear, fgdata and FlightGear must match; so, even if you've got SG and fgdata installed on your USB stick, if you decide to compile FlightGear from source you'll need to download and build them again.

I don't know if building from source would be feasible in your case since the full source code and data take 18/20 GB. Should you wish to do so, the Ubuntu page on the wiki, and the wiki page, you linked to, provide compilation instructions.
As an alternative, you can file a feature request (as Hooray suggested) so that, if there's enough interest, we can start offering osgEarth builds.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby eben » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:23 am

So I thought I try my luck at downloading and compile FlightGear from source but I am having a few issues.

The links listed here seem to be older...
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_FlightGear_with_osgEarth_Integration
and these locations don't seem to be there...
git://gitorious.org/fg/simgear-osgearth.git

Also I getting error when I try to clone just the normal fightgear. Has anybody know what to do about this....

$ sudo git clone git://gitorious.org:fg/flightgear.git
Cloning into 'flightgear'...
fatal: unable to connect to gitorious.org:
gitorious.org: Servname not supported for ai_socktype
eben

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:44 am

eben wrote in Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:23 am:So I thought I try my luck at downloading and compile FlightGear from source but I am having a few issues.

there's a lot of changes going on right now... gitorious has been absorbed by another entity and a lot of things are moving targets right now... if i've been reading between the lines correctly, a lot of movement has been toward sourceforge for various reasons...

if you are trying to use the download_and_compile.sh script, there has been a recent update to it as well as the existing gitorious git:// protocol having been turned off with the absorbtion... one has to use https:// on the same url now... but seriously, wait another few days before trying to pull everything... you'll need fgdata and that was monstrous (over 4gig)... a full load of the (now) old fgdata was 17.8Gig on disk (with next and release/3.4.0 checked out)... and the new fgdata is reportedly around 1.3gig with the aircraft being moved elsewhere along with several other portions... there is a zip file available that's about 970Meg and someone has also done up a tarball... both of the new fgdata... i'm not yet sure where the additional aircraft, ai and scenery will be available from but they will be soon ;)

i'm currently trying to pull the zip file but it is going to take another 4 hours on my connection as long as my line stays up... it is better than the torrent of the original fgdata that took all night and a bit more to come in plus the 12 or 13 additional bundles to recreate the whole fgdata locally...

so yeah, i'd wait a day or two for everything to settle out and give time for the wiki pages to be updated and announcements posted ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby eben » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:52 am

So basically my timing was bad....ok I will try another day....or week
eben

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:32 am

eben wrote in Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:52 am:So basically my timing was bad....ok I will try another day....or week

it won't be long... and i know what you mean about timing... it wasn't but maybe two weeks ago that i pulled the old fgdata via torrent because it was so huge and i had some rough connections with the cold and wet weather affecting my lines... the main bundle was 4.7Gig and another 3.3Gig in 12 update bundles...

my system did finally finish pulling the zip file mentioned above... i also went back and pulled the tarball which is 1.3Gig... both should give a working fgdata but i've not had a chance to play with them yet... i didn't see a .git folder in the zip file which is why i went back for the tarball... it arrived in just over 1.5 hours... the zip took longer coming across the pond from .de... i think the tarball is the project.git bare repo type that you clone from and then change the origin to point to the new sourceforge repo... i'll find out before long but right now imma gonna go get a little more sleep before i get too many more keyboard key imprints in my forehead :lol:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby elgaton » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:59 am

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:32 am:i think the tarball is the project.git bare repo type that you clone from and then change the origin to point to the new sourceforge repo... i'll find out before long but right now imma gonna go get a little more sleep before i get too many more keyboard key imprints in my forehead :lol:

It's better if you wait a little before getting the tarball - since the old fgdata repository was completely stripped of all aircraft, most commit IDs have changed, so you won't be able to get the old clone and simply change the origin; you'll need to perform a fresh checkout instead.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:06 pm

right, it's not a bad idea to wait until the dust has settled, which may easily take another 4-8 weeks - especially people entirely new to patching/building source code and using git would otherwise find this very overwhelming/frustrating probably.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:36 pm

elgaton wrote in Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:59 am:
wkitty42 wrote in Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:32 am:i think the tarball is the project.git bare repo type that you clone from and then change the origin to point to the new sourceforge repo... i'll find out before long but right now imma gonna go get a little more sleep before i get too many more keyboard key imprints in my forehead :lol:

It's better if you wait a little before getting the tarball - since the old fgdata repository was completely stripped of all aircraft, most commit IDs have changed, so you won't be able to get the old clone and simply change the origin; you'll need to perform a fresh checkout instead.

FWIW: i was speaking of the new tarball just uploaded to SF as well as creating a whole new clone in another directory...

i was able, after my lines stablized, to complete a clone from the new fgdata-ng on SF... it works fine with my 3.5.0 from git which i have also updated using the download_and_compile.sh script with a modification to the fgdata section for the version as "next" instead of "master" and to point to the SF repo... so far, it is working fine... i'm just waiting until the new location for the aircraft is reported so that i can clone them, too... i have a neuron kicking the back of my brain saying something about FGADDON which i'll try to search out later and see how it fits into this new schema ;)

the main thing is to not get confused by the duplicate effort by another party... weeding it out from the official stuff in the devel list archives can be daunting... i've had to stop and look closer at the posts to be sure of which is which...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to osgEarth