Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

3.2 osgearth or other integrated real time satellite data?  Topic is solved

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

Re: 3.2 osgearth or other integrated real time satellite dat

Postby Hooray » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:09 pm

spend some time reading, and you will find instructions on building osgEarth on Linux
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Balaji » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:07 am

spend some time reading, and you will find instructions on building osgEarth on Linux

I spent 1 week.But didn't get clear idea.Please give me the link which i have to read.

Thanks.
Balaji

Postby Hooray » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:35 pm

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:38 pm

Wow this looks awesome!! Is this for the entire world? And how to properly install this? Thanks in advance :)
You know me from youtube :)
I'm VladFlyer, take a look :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBOvOg ... yNsYKuAxbw
Vladimir Akimov

Callsign: VladFlyer
Version: 3.2.0

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:53 pm

it is what it is, and being what it is (a set of external patches), it has a certain barrier to entry, and learning curve, associated with it.
Basically, people wanting to use this, will need to know how to build FlightGear from source, how to use git and how to apply patches.
People with a working build environment should have no problems getting this to work - the main caveat being currently that some recent sg/fg developments would not be integrated yet.

But otherwise, all the documentation that you can find on the wiki about building FlightGear from source, using git, will be applicable - the main difference is that once you have everything set up and working to build stock fgfs, you would add poweroftwo's gitlab branches as git remotes, and then build an older version of SimGear/FlightGear which contains the corresponding patches.

This was originally put up for review a few years ago, but many things happened in the meantime, such as gitorious shutdown, but also community turmoil revolving around the fgdata/fgaddon split, bad timing (release preparations), as well as a review process that ended up looking fairly tedious and stringent given the nature of the commits made by other core developments during the same timeframe - so that it is pretty safe to say that the integration of those patches got stalled, and that these osgEarth patches are currently only available to "power users" who are able to build from source.

To be fair, Curt did try to raise this again on the devel list a while back, but it seems pretty obvious that the latencies involved in getting such patches reviewed, discussed and integrated in a timely fashion may to be all that appealing for people who are not just volunteers doing this in their spare time.

Likewise, given the recent progress made in SimGear and FlightGear, it is also becoming more and more unlikely that those patches will apply cleanly, i.e. could be git-rebased easily - so that getting this integrated would require a fairly orchestrated effort among all the parties involved, as well as concessions by those doing the review/integration, which may not be as simple as it sounds, because a number of people have already spent considerable time on this, to no avail.

All this needs to be put into perspective, i.e. taking into account that this is a fairly substantial patch touching quite a few areas that are not actively maintained by other core developers, and that there's generally a shortage of active core developers - especially those handling merge requests and doing reviews. For the time being, Torsten, James and Stuart are the main people handling such things.

If, when and how this may be made available in the future, or even just picked up again by other core developers is up to others to decide - but I guess, your best bet is learning how to build FlightGear from source.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:58 pm

Okey then. Thanks for the reply.
You know me from youtube :)
I'm VladFlyer, take a look :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBOvOg ... yNsYKuAxbw
Vladimir Akimov

Callsign: VladFlyer
Version: 3.2.0

Postby hamzaalloush » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:32 pm

we're limited to 3.4 aren't we for OSGEarth integration?
hamzaalloush

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:44 pm

I'd say, yes - based on looking at this: https://gitlab.com/poweroftwo/flightgea ... FG3.4-Kdis

However, most SG/FG related changes that would conflict with a merge are relatively trivial, i.e. could be resolved by manual edits pretty easily - I don't think that there's lots of scenery related code that got updated recently, i.e. anything affecting the osgEarth patch - simply because FG/osgEarth overrides much of the standard scenery engine anyway.

I *assume* that merge conflicts should be relatively straightforward to fix up - but it would make sense to look at the latest release branch in that case.

But even that, people would still need to build the whole shebang - unless we want to revisit mxe-cross builds anytime soon :D
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby hamzaalloush » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:03 pm

Hooray wrote in Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:44 pm:But even that, people would still need to build the whole shebang - unless we want to revisit mxe-cross builds anytime soon :D

or alternatively, i got my Windows build environment working again, so that probably works just as well, not as amazing an effort as MXE, but useful nonetheless.
hamzaalloush

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:08 pm

okay, if you'd like to give it a try, why not - feel free to post any follow-ups here, i.e. if you need help resolving build issues - obviously, it would be great if you could review the instructions on the wiki accordingly. I am not a Windows guy myself, but I don't mind walking you through the git specifics and/or the sg/fg merge conflicts that may need to be resolved.

Note that you don't need 3.4 - you can really just use the git branches you have and then add the simperative repositories as git remotes, at that point, you can git checkout the latest version and try to get it to build - if/when that works, we can look at rebasing the whole onto sg/fg next

I am not sure if any core developers are still interested in getting this applied or not, but if nothing else, it will at least help lower the barrier to entry for those wanting to patch their own fg ...
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Previous

Return to osgEarth