Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

3.2 osgearth or other integrated real time satellite data?  Topic is solved

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

3.2 osgearth or other integrated real time satellite data?

Postby SmergFerguson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:01 am

Anyone know how to integrate osgearth with version 3.2?
or anything that can stream satellite imagery to FG on the fly?

Is 2.12 +osgearth still the best experience?

I am not the brightest barrel in the bunch but i tried real hard to figure it out.
the terrasync data if i am seeing it is far from satellite quality? or have a installed it improperly?

I am looking for accurate road map overlays and terrain data to practice flights from one city to another and my problem is with terrasync (if it is working right) I cannot recognize ANYTHING on the ground in my own city. (SanFrancisco)
Where is the Golden Gate Bridge? lol the Bay looks ALL Wrong. What am I doing wrong?
SmergFerguson

Re: 3.2 osgearth or other integrated real time satellite dat

Postby jarl.arntzen » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:31 am

Do you have a screenshot or two? I'm also curious about OSGEarth integration in 3.2
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Postby SmergFerguson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:57 am

well you can see it in action on youtube it is AMAZING to play... so real.
there is a hi res map for the grandcanyon that is awesome too.

but i only ever had it all working in 2.12

trying to get 3.2 up to speed having troubles.

search term on youtube - 2.12 osgearth
that will give you lots of videos to see on it
SmergFerguson

Postby jarl.arntzen » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:09 am

SmergFerguson wrote in Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:01 am:the terrasync data if i am seeing it is far from satellite quality? or have a installed it improperly?

I am looking for accurate road map overlays and terrain data to practice flights from one city to another and my problem is with terrasync (if it is working right) I cannot recognize ANYTHING on the ground in my own city. (SanFrancisco)
Where is the Golden Gate Bridge? lol the Bay looks ALL Wrong. What am I doing wrong?

Do you have any screenshots of what you are seeing in your installation of OSGEarth? What does San Francisco look like for you? Any screenshots will help tremedously in figuring out what might be wrong.
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Postby Hooray » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:13 am

you need to be more specific than this - at least tell us what OS you're using, what you're doing to make it work and what you're seeing (errors etc) instead.
Otherwise, it will be next to impossible without us having to ask you dozens of questions over the course of the next few weeks, which is going to be a tedious and boring process, so that most people won't be interested in following the thread, let alone helping out here.

Someone able to build from source should still be able to get osgEarth working without too much effort - on Windows there should even be some kind of "overlay" (set of patch files) - I am not sure if those have recently been updated for 3.2 though. But overall this is not rocket science - the really difficult work has already been completed by poweroftwo (i.e. coding & integration) - as much as we'd like to help folks having issues, we first of all need to understand the nature of the problem - and exact errors messages, log files and screen shots would tremendously help with that - even without people having to be overly familiar with FlightGear, or computers, in general.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby SmergFerguson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:55 pm

sry guys i didnt make myself clear.
I do not have osg installed as there is no compatible version of it that i can find.
i have been unable to get anything to work that can show the actual roads where they belong.
all i could show you is a screenshot of what the default install would show which is no where near reality for sure.
and then i would also not know how to post it...
all this new fangled internet stuff is not from my days.
but i do own a real airplane does that count? haha
i do appreciate any advice or help you can give me that will lead to a 3.2 version of this that displays
satellite map data. i read the wiki's and did what they said but no roads yet.
clearly i am missing something simple a child could find, unfortunately I am no child haha
still trying everything i can I will let you know when i figure it out and post the solution.

and im on an 8core amd Piledriver 4.3ghz windows 7 dual nvidia gt730's with 2gig gddr5 ram each at 40mbs/second transfer each and 8gig 2133 ram

thanks for your help^^
SmergFerguson

Postby Thorsten » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:08 pm

all i could show you is a screenshot of what the default install would show which is no where near reality for sure.

Which is precisely what we want to see, because if you say there's a problem and the bay area doesn't look right, we'd like to understand what it is you're seeing instead.
Thorsten

Postby SmergFerguson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:10 pm

well there are no highways, the interstate is gone. higway 101 is missing. the golden gate bridge is missing. there is one long bridge going out to sea

And i don't know how to post a screenshot to a forum.
really. none of the buttons on this page indicate they would accept the upload or i would be happy to.

You guys can see the Interstates? like google maps looking stuff?
SmergFerguson

Postby Hooray » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:22 pm

you do need osgEarth support for that, which is not included in any of the standard releases so far - which is why you need to follow the instructions from the osgEarth thread - however, osgEarth in 3.2 is a completely different matter, because this may very well involve building FlightGear from source - all of this is fairly well documented via a number of different wiki articles. However, it is a fairly technical and tedious process, certainly for people new to compiling software. In other words, osgEarth support in FlightGear in its current form hasn't yet been included in any official release, which means that it must be considered an experimental feature, which is primarily supported by the community, through a number of wiki articles, forum threads/postings and instructions on getting it to work.
So you need to tell us exactly what instructions you've been following so far, and where things stopped working/being clear.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby SmergFerguson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:42 pm

ahh ok that makes sense that is the message I got from looking around too.

I was hoping by now it was implemented in 3.2 because it makes no sense to me to use this if i can't learn how to fly between cities with it without getting lost haha
Would be so easy if i could just follow the interstates...

I will come back in a year or so and see if it works by then as the odds of me getting it working by building from source are about 1 in 100,000 hahaha

thanks for your help and the offer to help further. i will spare you the misery hahaha

Happy Flying :)
SmergFerguson

Postby Thorsten » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:05 pm

I was hoping by now it was implemented in 3.2 because it makes no sense to me to use this if i can't learn how to fly between cities with it without getting lost haha

1) Interstates are definitely in the scenery and you can follow them if you wish
2) The Golden Gate Bridge is definitely in the scenery
3) If you want to learn to fly properly, you shouldn't navigate by following interstates in the KSFO area and rather learn to follow radio beacons (that's what they're for after all)
4) VFR navigation is definitely possible with the current state of FG since pretty much all features which I find in my VFR maps I usually also find in FG

So you may or may not want satellite imagery, but that's a completely different question from VFR navigation.

Given that your system does something weird now, expect it to do the same in a year from now - this is a user-side issue.

P.S.: I think it's rather odd to insert 'hahaha' in so many places in a conversation - please just use normal English (no slang) for communication, as this is an international community with many non-native speakers.
Thorsten

Postby SmergFerguson » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:29 am

yeah laughter is 'rather odd'...
Great new brave world we are all evolving into...

There are no interstates on the version 3.2 I downloaded. I watched terrasync download additional data. Still no accurate roads.

The default install is flawed on the GAME SIDE.

It should work out of the box right?

I am not laughing anymore. Do things seem more 'normal' when they are callous and cold and humorless to you?
we should teach the international community that english users have no joy and laughter in us?

Ever met people from other countries?
they like laughter too you know...
and they hardly find it 'rather odd' LOL - is lol ok? or will it confuse people too much?

thanks for your help, but dam bro work on the attitude. Don't respond unless you want me to go off on the many reasons why what you said is so mucked up.
SmergFerguson

Postby Hooray » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:40 am

SmergFerguson wrote in Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:29 am:thanks for your help, but dam bro work on the attitude. Don't respond unless you want me to go off on the many reasons why what you said is so mucked up.

Thorsten was trying to bring across the point detailed at: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-ques ... #writewell

By following these guidelines, you're ensuring a higher probability for getting the kind of feedback you're looking for - so it should be in your interest to follow some simple rules, regardless of Thorsten being around or not. Keep in mind that there are currently ~140 views of your thread, yet, just a few people bothered to respond - so maybe that helps to put things into perspective: we definitely have other people around here who would be able to help with such issues.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby SmergFerguson » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:43 am

yeah you guys vastly over estimate my educational level lol
SmergFerguson

Postby chriscalef » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:27 am

Just wanted to say hi and glad to have more people interested in linking FG to osgEarth - it would definitely be nice to have that as an easy option to the default flightgear terrain.
chriscalef

Next

Return to osgEarth