Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

3.2 osgearth or other integrated real time satellite data?  Topic is solved

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

Re: 3.2 osgearth or other integrated real time satellite dat

Postby SmergFerguson » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:24 pm

tried a fresh unzip to the desktop still get the unknown command-line option:control
SmergFerguson

Postby Philosopher » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:26 pm

Check your "advanced" settings in FGRun.... IIRC it should be set to "default" or something (aka don't set it to mouse, keyboard, or joystick) because more recent FG binaries reject the option.
Philosopher

Postby poweroftwo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:28 pm

the init parameters don't match that of the batch file. Probably caused by fgrun's cache store.

try this:

1) clear the fgrun cache by deleting fgrun.prefs (something like: C:/Users/Tony/AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org\fgrun.prefs)
2) extract the zip file to desktop or c:/ (but not Program Files)
3) run fgrunWin64.bat
poweroftwo

Postby poweroftwo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:30 pm

one more thing to try with fgrun behavior. When the fgrun UI initially appears, choose the "Prev" button, then hit "Next". Seems to repopulate the cache after that.

jeff
poweroftwo

Postby poweroftwo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:46 pm

Here is the direct route to run Flightgear from that package:

place this file in the same directory as fgrunWin64.bat

"ufo@KSFO.bat"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-l3k5Nss9POFVHT2NkUW95QU0/view?usp=sharing

this should directly run Flightgear with the correct run time parameters.
poweroftwo

Postby wlbragg » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:16 pm

I downloaded & installed your new package at 11:46 Central Time and it worked flawlessly. It even worked without having to do anything to users data (Windows) which really surprised me. The last thing I ran prior to installing your package was 3.3 totally customized. It basically ignored that config, I guess. The only err in console was it couldn't find a specific airplane cache, but defaulted to the included one in fgmindata.

clear the fgrun cache by deleting fgrun.prefs (something like: C:/Users/Tony/AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org\fgrun.prefs)

If Smerg is only installing this osgearth build he might as well delete or rename the entire C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org folder.
That should clear it up and it should run as is..

Edit: Oh, and your fixes were right on. I previously had a problem with models sunk a bit and they are correct now.
Well done, thank you!
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:45 pm

I previously had a problem with models sunk a bit and they are correct now.

Not true, it starts out correct but as soon as I leave the area and come back is when they seem to sink.
Still thrilled to have OSGEarth integration.

Maybe not the right place to ask, but why is this not included as an option in the default build of FlightGear, GPL?
wlbragg

Postby poweroftwo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:13 pm

With osgEarth scenery enabled, terrain height is derived from different height samples than those used in the native Flightgear scenery. Because of the difference, 3D elements such as buildings and airport lights must be surface clamped. The clamping occurs based on viewport proximity to retain decent performance, however there are occasional artifacts including some objects that don't clamp correctly.

With regards to incorporation into the core of Flightgear, the license is all fine but I ran low on energy as I did not sense that the Flightgear community was particularly excited about the idea. I still use Flightgear with OsgEarth in my daily work so it will continue to be supported. However, not sure if or when it will incorporated into the core.

jeff
poweroftwo

Postby wlbragg » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks for the info on models.

I did not sense that the Flightgear community was particularly excited about the idea

I don't see why not.
I would never want it to replace any existing scenery effort, only as an additional option.
It is value added and unless there are other issues it would be a win, win.
To me, the ideal integration would be an option to have it kick in at a certain AGL if requested.
With osm2city on the other AGL end, if checked off.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:45 am

With regards to incorporation into the core of Flightgear, the license is all fine but I ran low on energy as I did not sense that the Flightgear community was particularly excited about the idea.

Honestly, as far as excitement in the community goes, osgearth scored pretty high. There's a fair number of users who have expressed interest early on, there's frequent questions when it will be available, there's to my knowledge an in principle agreement core developer side to accept the patch, although I understand there's some technical concerns which need to be ironed out (and I remember you stating 'The ball is in my court' at some point).

Just to give a sense of perspective - Advanced Weather was greeted by a combination of 'This will never work anyway, we don't need another weather system, Nasal is too slow, you're wasting your time.' What the heck - I did it anyway. ALS to this day continues to be greeted by some as 'Crap, against the spirit of Flightgear, taking away resources from really important developments, ... The realistic radio propagation model patch met outspoken opposition from some core developers even in principle which was why it was dropped. I'm not sure what you did expect to happen.

The FG community is very diverse and yes, not everyone is excited. Personally I am unfortunately not, although I recognize osgearth as a valuable feature for some use cases and know that others are. But I am personally interested in modeling detailed interaction between weather, light and terrain, for which any form of photoscenery is simply not suitable because it's always taken under some very specific weather and lighting conditions and I need procedural textures instead. Moreover, I don't have the bandwidth at home to get imagery sufficiently fast, so I can't even try. Which for me is the show-stopper to help you with shader work - I would in principle be ready to help adding some ALS support to osgearth, but if I'm not able to use it in the first place it's dead on arrival, I simply can't develop shaders without being able to run them.

So, what won't happen is that the whole development team drops all they're doing and helps you with implementation of a feature. Hasn't ever happened and won't ever happen to anyone (if only because there's so little time in the first place and people need to priorize). The way this works is that you need to push for what you consider useful, and you need to take care of the details as well, and even in the best case there's resistance and inertia. But if you have a good case, you will be able to find people who can help you with some aspects of the work.

I mean, it'd be nice to live in a world where you can do some feature halfway and then someone else meets you on the other half picks it up and irons out all the pesky integration details. Unfortunately that's pretty difficult (which is why I rarely do it myself) - going through someone else's code, trying to restructure and adapt it and fit it in properly is pretty time-consuming. But ask yourself how much time you'd spend with code from someone else you're maybe not personally excited about, trying to merge it into a larger project and you understand they why.

I guess ultimately it's up to you - the level of excitement in the community is there to make it happen in principle, but the enthusiasm has to come from you - you need to want this to happen.
Thorsten

Postby poweroftwo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:22 pm

wlbragg wrote in Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:47 pm:Thanks for the info on models.

I did not sense that the Flightgear community was particularly excited about the idea

I don't see why not.
I would never want it to replace any existing scenery effort, only as an additional option.
It is value added and unless there are other issues it would be a win, win.
To me, the ideal integration would be an option to have it kick in at a certain AGL if requested.
With osm2city on the other AGL end, if checked off.

@wlbragg, Upon reflection, I made a poor word choice, I meant to say encouraging instead of excited.

thanks,
jeff
poweroftwo

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:58 pm

All I can say is, I am part of that community and you heard what I think.
Personally, I prefer the detail we should be able to achieve "eventually" with three dimensional scenery vs "just" a satellite photo. But the satellite photo has its place too.
I can see why some might not get thrilled over it especially if they thought it was going to be the only path forward.
But to add it as an option, with no downside, well, it's just plain foolish not to.
From time to time in these forums we see and hear comments from drive-by's that don't understand any history of this project and ask for it to be more like something else, simplified. I hope it is never like "something else". I hope it never is taken down the path of simplification in an attempt to appeal to the masses. I didn't sign up for that concept. I can already get that with polish on. I singed up to learn & create. Flying was just an added benefit. I might add though, "simplified" may even have a place here, but not only simplified.

The thing that excites me most about FG is it's versatility. The day the community starts clamping versatility is the day I move on.
Happy New Year!
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Upon reflection, I made a poor word choice, I meant to say encouraging instead of excited.

Okay - what is the stumbling point (I haven't been following the technical discussion of the patch)? I can't magically change the way FG works and I can't make my internet connection 100 times wider, but I can talk to people or I can give you space of the webpage to write an article about your efforts if you need public exposure.

Regardless of my personal interest, it'd be a shame not to bring this option into FG.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:08 am

Thorsten wrote in Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:17 pm:Regardless of my personal interest, it'd be a shame not to bring this option into FG.

I completely agree with that.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby SmergFerguson » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:56 pm

the ufo@KSFO.bat file WORKED!!!!!

Right away boom click enable osgearth and ROADS!!!!

I am no longer lost thank you SO MUCH!!!!!! mark this thread SOLVED!

Is there a way to change plane type in game and keep your altitude and position and direction and such?

and as far as the community thing goes it is simple. people are well... like me... ignorant of what you know. If you KNOW something like this would be a cool great addition then make it anyway. Who cares what people think when you KNOW what you are doing is COOL and they don't even know what your talking about, they are just generally negative towards anything different than what they already understand.

And this osgearth + Flightgear maps thing is COOL!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE HELP AND THE SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!
SmergFerguson

PreviousNext

Return to osgEarth