Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

3.2 osgearth or other integrated real time satellite data?  Topic is solved

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

Re: 3.2 osgearth or other integrated real time satellite dat

Postby wlbragg » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:59 am

While it's not osgearth, SF is still there.
Right where it should be
The top image is stock scenery and if your not seeing it then you definitely have something wrong.
The bottom image is a picture of a feature that also comes with FlightGear. The plane is my position as I was taking the top picture.
But like others have said, we need more info from you in order to figure out what went wrong.

To post an image you would need to put the image at a file or image hosting site and then link to it from a post here using either the "insert URL" tool or the "Insert Image" tool.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby poweroftwo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:22 am

I have not taken time to port to 3.2 yet, but here is a Windows 64 bit runtime version of Flightgear 3.1 with osgEarth including a subset of fgData.

fg3.1.0-OsgEarth.zip (updated link)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-l3k5Nss9PZkZFeERDRGdIMGs/view?usp=sharing

Updated - combined binaries (3rdParty, OSG, and FG) into a single bin directory; added base scenery of KSFO; removed conflicting rendering dialog xml files; uses correct earth files for NAIP sources.
Updated Jan 04, 2014 - fix a structure clamping bug, fixed far clipping range in detailed (local) weather mode.

Required: Windows 64 bit OS and a good graphics card

Steps:
1) download
2) extract somewhere
3) run fgrunWin64.bat (should launch fgrun)
4) choose UFO, then next button
5) choose airport, then next button
6) suggest enabling TerraSync, set time of day to noon
7) run button (this should start Flightgear using native scenery)

to enable osgEarth rendering:
1) Menu->View->Rendering Options
2) enable Atmospheric light scattering
3) osgEarth enable checkbox (should begin loading osgEarth imagery and elevation data)
note: depending on your internet connection speed, download performance will vary

KSFO runway with osgEarth enabled:
Last edited by poweroftwo on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
poweroftwo

Postby wlbragg » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:29 am

Way cool, thank you! I'll give it a try.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:52 am

There are no interstates on the version 3.2 I downloaded. I watched terrasync download additional data. Still no accurate roads.

The default install is flawed on the GAME SIDE.

Look, this isn't rocket science. Some bugs are just too big to be unnoticed, so they can't be simulation-side. Version 3.2 has been used by the developers during the devel phase and for instance I have regularly looked at KSFO or followed interstates from Las Vegas to Indian Springs during tests. It has been looked at during the release candidate phase by additional users. It's now out for a few months and has been flown by yet more users across the world. Nobody has reported the Golden Gate Bridge missing or the bay area being all wrong before. You're the only one.

So, it's either that there's a huge simulation-side problem in FG and thousands of people across the world just missed it for some unexplained reason. Or it's just on your end. Since I don't go for conspiracies and don't see it myself, I feel rather certain that it's on your end only (you can generalize that to any huge show-stopping bug).

Which is why we're still waiting for that screenshot of yours because we still don't know what you see and how you operate FG and we don't have the problems you describe.

I am not laughing anymore. Do things seem more 'normal' when they are callous and cold and humorless to you?
we should teach the international community that english users have no joy and laughter in us?

We're trying to assess whether what you're seeing is a bug which needs to be addressed. That's a technical issue, and the information flow would be much helped if you'd give the cold hard facts we need rather than 'hahaha' which we don't.

Don't respond unless you want me to go off on the many reasons why what you said is so mucked up.

*shrugs*

I'm pretty much the only active developer regularly posting in the forum and dealing with bug reports, i.e. probably your best bet at getting a fix (I guess I have a fairly good track record at figuring out problem causes or passing them on to the right people). But if you think I need to cultivate a hippie attitude to talk to you, then I'll remove myself from this thread. I'm interested in understanding a possible bug, not in the conversation with you.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:22 am

The osgearth link provided works. This was the first time I've had the good fortune to see it in action OUTSTANDING!

Unfortunately, in my system it required combining the osg and 3rd party files with the fgfs.exe in the install directory.
In other words I had to do some files arranging, it didn't work just by unzipping it. Although I did drop it on the desktop, maybe that was an issue and I have a couple other versions of FG hanging around. That may have caused some conflict also.

But the bottom line is you provided everything necessary to run FG-OSGEarth and have satellite scenery.
wlbragg

Postby Avionyx » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:33 pm

Enjoyed playing with this earlier although it took a bit of tweaking to get working as previously reported by wlbragg.
Many thanks for putting together this compiled version, it's really appreciated.

What does one need to do to get the scenery working in other areas of the globe? More than happy to roll my sleeves up and give it a go, as well as document the process if successful, but could do with a steer on getting started.

Alex

[edited to add more images]
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby poweroftwo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:08 pm

What does one need to do to get the scenery working in other areas of the globe? More than happy to roll my sleeves up and give it a go, as well as document the process if successful, but could do with a steer on getting started.

Alex

Alex,

ArcGis imagery is available at some level throughout the world. To fly elsewhere, from fgrun, when choosing airport, make sure "All Airports" is checked. Try these:

LEBL - Barcelona
EHAM - Amsterdam, Schiphol
LOWI - Innsbruck
poweroftwo

Postby poweroftwo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:10 pm

wlbragg wrote in Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:22 am:The osgearth link provided works. This was the first time I've had the good fortune to see it in action OUTSTANDING!

Unfortunately, in my system it required combining the osg and 3rd party files with the fgfs.exe in the install directory.
In other words I had to do some files arranging, it didn't work just by unzipping it. Although I did drop it on the desktop, maybe that was an issue and I have a couple other versions of FG hanging around. That may have caused some conflict also.

Thanks for testing. I will repackage into a single directory and upload it.
poweroftwo

Postby Avionyx » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi There,
Thanks for the feedback, it seems the problem I had loading outside of the USA was due to models.
I had to copy the entire contents of my previously downloaded data/Models directory into the \fgOsgEarth\fgmindata\Models directory and then everything loaded perfectly.

As this rather beautifully dark and moody scene at Innsbruck shows:
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby poweroftwo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:44 pm

updated the download link to the Flightgear 3.1.0 with osgEarth runtime. The update combines all binaries into a single directory; fixes a conflict with multiple rendering dialog files; added base scenery files for KSFO.

http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=25000&start=15#p228522
poweroftwo

Postby SmergFerguson » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:01 pm

wow awesome man I will let you know if a dumb hippie like me can figure it out hahaha :D

I am so not trying to upset you mr. developer man for real. i appreciate everything you do.
But you got to appreciate that not everyone out here is capable of what you are capable of.
I would love to post a screenshot but as i described I do not know how to do the thing known
as posting a screenshot to a forum on this particular forum as i see no upload button on the page.

Not here to stress you out i promise.
I know things.. amazing things...I know astrotheology and song composition, The answers to lifes most difficult riddles of alchemy, religion, and the true nature of the stars and sun and moon that spin over our heads. I can build a house from the foundation up, survive in all climates, navigate from the ground anywhere in the planet, or strip down an m-16 and reassemble it blindfolded,
but computer programming and even general usage is way out of my league.
i feel lucky I could even post. Sorry for being too happy hippie about it I will chill, i mean respectively stop talking.
except to tell this guy his compilation thing is idiot proof if it works :)
thank you ^^
SmergFerguson

Postby SmergFerguson » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:09 pm

well the bat file opens the command prompt that then runs some stuff and honks at me and says it is a non specific error as it lists a list of command options in a windows window.
and then when i try to run fgrun from the folder it gives am an error that says: Unknown command-line option:control

i copyied the contents Models folder over from the 3.2 install into the fgmindata/Models folder as it seemed a but barren by comparison but still same error.

I tried running the bat file as admin also it runs real quick then disappears and no visible actions take place after.
this is the bat file as I got it below:

set root=%cd%

rem set environment path
set path=%root%\bin\

set bin=%root%\bin

pushd "%bin%"
call fgrun.exe --fg-exe=%bin%/fgfs.exe --fg-root=%root%\fgmindata --fg-scenery=%bin%/0 --terrasync-dir=%bin%/0
popd

Win7 professional, 8core AMD 4.3ghz per core, dual nvidia 730's, 8 gig 2133 ram
SmergFerguson

Postby poweroftwo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:15 pm

I have made several updates to the package this morning, so it is possible I goofed up something. I will test on a different machine to confirm.

Until you get it working, I don't recommend copying files into the package.

jeff
poweroftwo

Postby SmergFerguson » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:19 pm

yes i did try before copying things and smart to ask me haha
I did make some progress.
I orginially unzipped the folder to Program Files
then i moved it to C: and when I clicked the bat file it lauched the fgrun but when i went to start it gave me the Unknown command-line option: control
I copied the console view right before launch from fgrun by clicking the little box for it here it is:

C:\fgOsgEarth\bin/fgfs.exe
--fg-root=C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\data
--fg-scenery=C:\Users\Tony\Documents\FlightGear\Custom Scenery;C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\data\Scenery;C:\Users\Tony\Documents\FlightGear\TerraSync
--terrasync-dir=C:\fgOsgEarth\bin/0
--fg-aircraft=C:\Users\Tony\Documents\FlightGear\Aircraft
--airport=KSFO
--aircraft=ufo
--control=joystick
--console
--enable-random-objects
--enable-auto-coordination
--enable-ai-models
--disable-ai-traffic
--fdm=ufo
--in-air
--disable-real-weather-fetch
--enable-fullscreen
--prop:/sim/frame-rate-throttle-hz=60
--prop:/sim/menubar/autovisibility/enabled=1
--geometry=1920x1200
--bpp=32
--fov=90
--timeofday=noon
--enable-terrasync
--disable-fgcom

Hope this helps^^
SmergFerguson

Postby SmergFerguson » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:22 pm

I changed the control to mouse and got same error too.

and when i run the bat file as admin it just runs real fast and closes nothing else.
too fast to read the words.
SmergFerguson

PreviousNext

Return to osgEarth