Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

Initial FlightGear / OsgEarth integration

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

Re: Initial FlightGear / OsgEarth integration

Postby Catalanoic » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi! I tried to install the patch described on the first post ignoring the 2.xx version files but it has not worked (no osgearth submenu on FG menu). How can I install and enable this on FG 3.4 (stable) Win7 64b? No self-installing program for the current version? Or I have to install from source through the instructions in the wiki? Thanks! :o
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Hooray » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:53 pm

you would have to patch the sources and then build FG from source for the time being
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Catalanoic » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:06 pm

Hooray wrote in Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:53 pm:you would have to patch the sources and then build FG from source for the time being

Thankyou but how can i do it? There're three primary git repositories (FlightGear, SimGear and FgData) described on the first post, which of them I should download? Basically I need to know what instructions should I follow to run this because everything is really confusing. The wiki information is outdated and obviously is the first time I do this
Catalanoic

Postby NicoBee » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:58 am

Hello pilots!
I would really like to test the OsgEarth version of FlightGear but I am also really confused about the different approaches/descriptions regarding the build process.
Is there anybody who did it on Linux (preferably Ubuntu) and who would take the time to write the steps down?
Thank you in advance and warm regards!
Nico
NicoBee

Postby Hooray » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:02 pm

it's all on the wiki: follow the instructions for building FlightGear from source, next read up on git, then adapt those instructions to use the new gitlab URLs.
The hard part is rebasing sg/fg (if needed), because that will require some C++ knowledge and familiarity with sg/fg and osg
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby pommesschranke » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:05 am

It's all on the wiki:

For me the wiki page is not helpful.
I cloned from here:
https://gitlab.com/u/poweroftwo/projects

and now ?

from the README.cmake:
cmake ../flightgear

... does not work: CMake Error: The source directory .... does not exist.

from the wiki:
configure via CMake

how?
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby ludomotico » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:34 am

pommesschranke wrote in Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:05 am:from the README.cmake:
cmake ../flightgear

To build the source code, you are expected to have at least a general understanding of the building process to fix the lot of small issues you are going to find for sure. In this case, you cloned the "flightgear-osgearth" repository and the directory name is most probably "flightgear-osgearth". You must pass the name of the source directory to cmake. In your case, the command is, most probably:

cmake ../flightgear-osgearth

We are not at your home. We don't know the specific names of your directories. You must be prepared to fix this kind of things at your own :)

pommesschranke wrote in Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:05 am:from the wiki:
configure via CMake

how?

By running the "cmake ../flightgear-osgearth".
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby pommesschranke » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:57 am

thank you for your quick reply.
I'm building simgear-osgearth now...

*gear-osgearth has so many branches - I don't know which is best to use.

.. now I struggle to tell cmake to use the correct SIMGEAR_DIR.
I installed simgear-osgearth to /usr/local/include/simgear/
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby Catalanoic » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:48 pm

We've more data availible to be included i don't know if there're photoscenery but i think it may be useful:
ASTER data cover 99 percent of Earth's landmass and span from 83 degrees north latitude to 83 degrees south. A single downward-looking ASTER scene covers an area on the ground measuring about 37-by-37 miles (60-by-60-kilometers).
ASTER uses its near-infrared spectral band and downward- and backward-viewing telescopes to create stereo-pair images, merging two slightly offset two-dimensional images to create the three-dimensional effect of depth. Each elevation measurement point in the data is 98 feet (30 meters) apart.

From NASA and Geological Survey of Japan There're digital elevation, temperature, radiance maps, etc, to take a look. From the JPL site confirms: In a joint announcement by the US and Japan, the entire ASTER archive was opened to the public. Any scene, and all derived products, can be ordered by anyone. But i'm not sure is GPL compatible, but we can do derivated works at least.
Catalanoic

Postby Johan G » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:42 am

I read about ASTER some years back and noted that there where different data sets available from different sources, some of them being available only for specific uses. It might be good to look at the terms, but since NASA is involved it would be highly likely that any such terms are rather liberal. :) But would still be good to have it confirmed. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Catalanoic » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:33 pm

Writing directly to the owner can solve the doubt
Catalanoic

Postby DF_Hammack » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:47 pm

pommesschranke wrote in Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:05 am:
It's all on the wiki:

from the README.cmake:
cmake ../flightgear

from the wiki:
configure via CMake

I might suggest installing cmake-qt-gui, from the Ubuntu repo. That way you have a gui to search for your source directory from, as well as to specify your build directory. After specifying the directories, just hit the configure button, then the generate button, then go to the build directory and simply do sudo make install..... and you're done (in a perfect world). Good Luck
DF_Hammack

Callsign: SilverSplash
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby DF_Hammack » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:55 pm

OK.... it's not a perfect world. I am trying to build FG-osgE, but I seem to be running into a problem with the viewer.....
I had no problem building "simgear-osgearth". The Meta-Build just plain doesn't work. I just cloned the repo this morning.
Code: Select all
[ 21%] Built target fgpanel
Scanning dependencies of target fgviewer
[ 21%] Building CXX object utils/fgviewer/CMakeFiles/fgviewer.dir/fgviewer.cxx.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object utils/fgviewer/CMakeFiles/fgviewer.dir/Drawable.cxx.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object utils/fgviewer/CMakeFiles/fgviewer.dir/Renderer.cxx.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object utils/fgviewer/CMakeFiles/fgviewer.dir/SlaveCamera.cxx.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object utils/fgviewer/CMakeFiles/fgviewer.dir/Viewer.cxx.o
[ 22%] Linking CXX executable fgviewer
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/fgviewer.dir/Viewer.cxx.o: undefined reference to symbol 'XResetScreenSaver'
//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
utils/fgviewer/CMakeFiles/fgviewer.dir/build.make:218: recipe for target 'utils/fgviewer/fgviewer' failed
make[2]: *** [utils/fgviewer/fgviewer] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:570: recipe for target 'utils/fgviewer/CMakeFiles/fgviewer.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [utils/fgviewer/CMakeFiles/fgviewer.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:149: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm no programmer, but it looks like something went awry in the configuration...... Help?
(If it will help, I saved the config dialog. There were a lot of warnings.)
Thanks
Dave
Last edited by DF_Hammack on Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DF_Hammack

Postby Hooray » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:19 pm

fgviewer isn't relevant for osgEarth support, but first of all you really need a build system that is able to build stock sg/fg from source - once that is working, you can look at building the patched osgEarth version, like Thorsten said.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby DF_Hammack » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Hooray wrote in Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:19 pm:fgviewer isn't relevant for osgEarth support, but first of all you really need a build system that is able to build stock sg/fg from source - once that is working, you can look at building the patched osgEarth version, like Thorsten said.

Not real sure I follow, Hooray. I cloned the repo, and ran cmake. That output was from cmake's make install. What am I missing here?
Thanks,
Dave
DF_Hammack

PreviousNext

Return to osgEarth