Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

Initial FlightGear / OsgEarth integration

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

Re: Initial FlightGear / OsgEarth integration

Postby Hooray » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:32 pm

ok, sure, if you know what you are doing, you can obviously proceed as is - if in doubt, you may want to document to journey to help others who don't understand the process, i.e. working with git, cmake and the various dependencies.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby DF_Hammack » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:36 pm

OK.... Back to Square One.... I just read back an found FG/osgE-Next isn't compiling on Linux....... I was trying Next. I will Build stock from scratch, and look for the patch..... Good thing I like a challenge as much as I like flight simming ;)
Thanks for sending back looking, Hooray.
DF_Hammack

Callsign: SilverSplash
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby Hooray » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Not sure what you are referring to, but if in doubt, refer back to the gitlab branches that poweroftwo has been maintaining - I haven't tried to build FG with osgEarth in quite a while, but overall the process is like building any other set of SG/FG topic branches that come with their own dependencies
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby DF_Hammack » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:14 pm

No problem, I decided to take your advice, and build from the main repos, and apply the patch..... I just finished that build and am getting ready to test it. Then I'll go look for the patch. Thanks for the help! You know, FlightGear is a lot like other things in life. You appreciate it a little more when you work for it. and you get an added sense of accomplishment when you're done, and it all just works.
Thanks,
Dave

EDIT: It works :D Off to find that osgEarth patch
Last edited by bugman on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the entire previous post.
DF_Hammack

Callsign: SilverSplash
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby Hooray » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:27 pm

once you are able to build sg/fg from source (so that you end up with a working FlightGear build), your next step would usually be adding the corresponding remote repositories/branches to your locally checked out sg/fg and fgdata repositories - at that point, you would have to make sure to install the corresponding dependencies (e.g. libopenscenegraph-dev) and then re-run cmake for the checked out sg/fg topic branches respectively - once the rebuild is running, you can check out the fgdata repositories that contains the necessary fgdata changes.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Previous

Return to osgEarth