Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

Initial FlightGear / OsgEarth integration

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

Re: Initial FlightGear / OsgEarth integration

Postby Hooray » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:10 pm

I can't seem to find that info anywhere, so:
what's your osgEarth version ?
and what version of FG are you trying to run with it ?

If in doubt, post the git hashes here for sg/fg and osgEarth
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Gijs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:35 am

Latest of all, and it suddenly worked this morning after adding Cléments gdal library!

Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby F-JJTH » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Great ! finally we got rid of all these deps ! :)
F-JJTH

Postby hi-fly-bye » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Can we get manual about how to install OSGEarth, which is optimised for end-user.
Where and how to get/install. I'm interested in W7x64 tutorial.

Primitive guide for stupid user like this:
1. go to gitorius...
2. download folder X
3. install ofgearth
4. copy/paste 'this' into 'there'
6. ...

Thx.
hi-fly-bye

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:41 pm

see the first page of this thread, all the basic steps are listed there, including links to 2 very detailed sets of instructions, including a wiki article on using gitorious to set up 2.12
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby mongrol » Sun May 25, 2014 8:17 am

Hmm, I'm getting permission denied (publickey) error on the repo's in the first post.
mongrol

Postby AndersG » Sun May 25, 2014 9:10 am

It looks like the OP posted the authenticated git over SSH URLs and not the read-only "public" URLs.
It is easy to translate the URLs given to public ones. Here is an example from my fgdata clone, master-fgdata is the authenticated URL while origin is open for all.
Code: Select all
master-fgdata  git@gitorious.org:fg/fgdata.git
origin         git://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata.git
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby mongrol » Sun May 25, 2014 9:24 am

Sorted thanks.
mongrol

Postby Alant » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:30 pm

For the last couple of weeks I have been trying to get a working FG-OSGearth system on Windows.

I started with the same problems that Gijs reported earlier, but have since then have gone around in circles.

Does anybody have a working set of compatible FG+OSG+OSGearth 3rd party libraries, or any other solution, that I can build from?

Alan

P.S. This for my WIP - the TSR2.

Next week I am off to the UK and will meet one of my former bosses who was Chief Aerodynamicist at that time. The 2.0 scenery is impressive when I engage the terrain following mode of the autopilot at Mach 1, 200 ft, but I think that the OSGearth may be even more frightening.
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby poweroftwo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:27 am

I can help here. I am actively working on yet another automatic builder that will build the osgEarth version of FG for Windows 64bit. Hope to have it ready very soon.

jeff
poweroftwo

Postby Alant » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks for that. I can help with any testing.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby rebootl » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:15 pm

This is fantastic!

I was just re-reading this old and tiresome thread: http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?t=12005
Dreaming about possibly use FG for spaceflights, and learning about osgEarth.

Just to find out a bit later that, _we actually have it_.

Thanks for your amazing work.

Now, I tried building and have a little issue...
I'm not sure whether I'm doing it all right so I'd be glad for any pointer.

I'm on Arch Linux and used the following distro packages:
boost 1.56.0-2
openal 1.16.0-1
freealut 1.1.0-5
plib 1.8.5-5
openscenegraph 3.2.1-2
gdal 1.11.1-1
(and their deps, headers/-dev are included on Arch by default)

I'm using the repos given in the wiki (http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_FlightGear_with_osgEarth_Integration Edit: The ones in the note box.).

Compiling and installing osgearth and simgear went well, using cmake.
(I had to undo the changes that add "gdal" to the path (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21351#p194338) but that might be distro specific and I don't think it's the problem.)

Now flightgear is complaining (at 100%):
Code: Select all
Linking CXX executable fgfs
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/__/Viewer/OsgEarthHeightField.cxx.o: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN17GDALDriverManager15GetDriverByNameEPKc'
/usr/lib/libgdal.so.1: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/build.make:8831: recipe for target 'src/Main/fgfs' failed
make[2]: *** [src/Main/fgfs] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1555: recipe for target 'src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:137: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

(There are more errors or warnings above, but I think that's the crucial one. I could upload to pastebin if helpful.)

Do I need a different gdal version maybe ?
Thanks

Edit: I'll continue trying.

Edit: My exact steps: http://pastebin.com/YaPx2sYd
Maybe I did something wrong replacing the gdal paths ? Though, it does find the headers now, it didn't before...

Maybe someone who got this working could me tell the versions of osg and gdal used ?

Edit: I think I might be missing some compile time options on gdal (e.g. --with-libkml) ?
Edit: Building gdal with libkml support did unfortunately not help. I'm still not sure whether the osg version is the right one.
I'm used to basic git usage and 'd be glad if I can help testing this on Linux. But the above error leaves me a bit helpless. Sorry if I'm overseeing something obvious.
rebootl

Postby vitos » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:31 am

rebootl wrote in Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:15 pm:/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/__/Viewer/OsgEarthHeightField.cxx.o: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN17GDALDriverManager15GetDriverByNameEPKc'
/usr/lib/libgdal.so.1: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line

I have similar mistake at Ubuntu:

Linking CXX executable fgfs
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/__/Viewer/OsgEarthHeightField.cxx.o: undefined reference to symbol 'VSIFree'
/opt/FlightGear/gdal/lib/libgdal.so.1: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line

If I do comment that function call out in .c file then I have just previous result.

Pretty funny to have it after day full of installs and compilations, at last bit of linking. Tried to make everything to point linker to correct library, cmake command looks as that:

cmake CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="Release" -D CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mtune=native -I /opt/FlightGear/OpenSceneGraph/include -I /opt/FlightGear/gdal/include/ -I /opt/FlightGear/OsgEarth/include/ -I /opt/FlightGear/simgear/include -L /opt/FlightGear/OpenSceneGraph/lib64 -L opt/FlightGear/gdal/lib -L /opt/FlightGear/OsgEarth/lib64/ -L /opt/FlightGear/simgear/lib" -D CMAKE_C_FLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mtune=native -I /opt/FlightGear/OpenSceneGraph/include -I /opt/FlightGear/gdal/include/ -I /opt/FlightGear/OsgEarth/include/ -I /opt/FlightGear/simgear/include -L /opt/FlightGear/OpenSceneGraph/lib64 -L opt/FlightGear/gdal/lib -L /opt/FlightGear/OsgEarth/lib64/ -L /opt/FlightGear/simgear/lib" -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:STRING="/opt/FlightGear/flightgear" -D CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH="/opt/FlightGear/OpenSceneGraph;/opt/FlightGear/gdal;/opt/FlightGear/OpenSceneGraph/include;/opt/FlightGear/gdal/include/;/opt/FlightGear/OpenSceneGraph/lib64/;opt/FlightGear/gdal/lib;/opt/FlightGear/OsgEarth;/opt/FlightGear/OsgEarth;/opt/FlightGear/OsgEarth/include;/opt/FlightGear/OsgEarth/lib64/;/opt/FlightGear/simgear;/opt/FlightGear/simgear/include;/opt/FlightGear/lib"-D CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH="/opt/FlightGear/OpenSceneGraph/include;/opt/FlightGear/gdal/include/;/opt/FlightGear/OsgEarth/include/;/opt/FlightGear/simgear/include" -D CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/FlightGear/OpenSceneGraph/lib64;opt/FlightGear/gdal/lib;/opt/FlightGear/OsgEarth/lib64/;/opt/FlightGear/simgear/lib" -D SIMGEAR_DIR='/opt/FlightGear/simgear' --enable-osgviewer .

Plus I tried

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/FlightGear/OpenSceneGraph/lib64:/opt/FlightGear/gdal/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

It seeems that just wont work. Most probably gdal version is not needed one. I took source of latest stable 1.11 from oiginal web site. Maybe it would be correct to use 1.10 instead, or even 1.7, which worked with others previously. Well, 1.10 from repo seems to not work too. maybe I could try to test 1.7 from scratch insead, and maybe it would start even.

But I do not know if with that level of complexity it could get to any release.
Waste of time: too unprofitable for work, too exhausting for hobby.
vitos

Callsign: vitos
IRC name: vitos
Version: 3.4

Postby Hooray » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:31 am

those linker errors are unrelated to the osgEarth integration as such - they seem to be due to conflicting C++ ABIs, i.e. different gcc compiler versions being mixed - which is something that may happen once you mix pre-compiled binaries with custom-built sources, after updating your system libs (e.g. gcc)

I haven't looked at those errors in detail, but whenever I've seen g++ level linker errors due to name mangling, it's usually because of mixing incompatible library/compiler versions.
The easiest "solution" is to only use pre-built libraries or custom-built binaries - otherwise, you really have to know how to explicitly mix different compiler binaries properly.

To see if that's the case (name mangling/g++ versions), you only need to use ld/nm to check if the symbol is included or not - if it is, it's name mangling (=compiler/linker version) related - if it isn't, you are trying to mix the wrong sources - which also won't work, but is much easier to fix...
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby vitos » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:32 am

Hooray wrote in Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:31 am:those linker errors are unrelated to the osgEarth integration as such - they seem to be due to conflicting C++ ABIs, i.e. different gcc compiler versions being mixed

That should not be, since I do compile plib, osg, gdal, osgearth, simgear and flightgear manually, as I did previously, which worked. I do it on clear os install, to avoid any miscomprehending. Don't You mean that I need to compie each library manually? If it would work with precompiled versions then I would use that way - when it, as I could remember, had conflict You meant.

Nah, and of course I had checked if called library have function called - it is.
Last edited by vitos on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Waste of time: too unprofitable for work, too exhausting for hobby.
vitos

Callsign: vitos
IRC name: vitos
Version: 3.4

PreviousNext

Return to osgEarth