Board index FlightGear Release candidates 3.0

Can not start FG with a plane on a start-up location.  Topic is solved

This is the archive of topics about the 3.0 release candidates.

Can not start FG with a plane on a start-up location.

Postby voltizle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:32 am

i have recently downloaded the FG 3.0.0 on my win 8.1 64bit laptop, before that i was using the 2.12.1 version with some problems like i couldn't save the tape recorder and whenever i tried to do so the FG crashes..
After downloaded the 3.0.0 version i also had the the Game mode issue and i resolved it as mentioned in other posts.
But Now i have noticed something..when i start flightgear and i select the parking point not a runway( any parking location at any airport having a parking location) it just doesn't work..instead the FG load with the plane on the runway..i have tried this for several airport with different planes but the same result..though i can fly without any other problem..

aaand one more thing...I CAN NOW SAVE THE FLIGHT RECORDER TAPE....which i have never succeeded in any of the earlier version before..Otherwise nice work to all FG team.
http://www.globalvirtualair.com
Pilot ID: GVA0306
Profile: http://www.globalvirtualair.com/lib/sig ... VA0306.png
Aircrafts: Boeing 777-200, Boeing 787-8i, Dhc 6.
voltizle

Callsign: GVA0306
Version: 3.2.0

Re: Can not start FG with a plane on a start-up location.

Postby zakalawe » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:18 am

Whereabouts are you selecting the startup location? (FGRun or the 'select airport' dialog inside FG?) Also please give some specific examples you've tried and I'll test.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby voltizle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:51 pm

zakalawe wrote in Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:18 am:Whereabouts are you selecting the startup location? (FGRun or the 'select airport' dialog inside FG?) Also please give some specific examples you've tried and I'll test.

Ok here are the process i do in pictures..

As usual i load fg:

And then i select the airport example here i selected LOWI and parking position G01:

Then next:

and RUN..the FG loads as usual:

aaaand look where i am:

even if i try to load the airport from within the FG screen i dont get the parking position option..if i click it but the drop down selection option is grayed out..not functioning:

This happens to all the airport i have selected like KSFO, EDDF,KLAX and others i dont remember..but they all start on the runway instead of a parking position...
voltizle

Postby zakalawe » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:54 pm

Just tested with 3.0 here and starting with --parkpos=GA01 --airport=LOWI worked. So it's something relating to your install. The fact the parking list is empty suggests you don't have the 'XML airport data' which is normally downloaded by TerraSync. If you enable terrasync and let it run it should download the data, and the next time you start the sim it should have the parking positions available. (Depending on your Internet connection, the airport data might take a while to download)
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby clrCoda » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:46 am

Being that the parking definition is listed in your SELECT A LOCATION > PARKING box, the file with the definition resides somewhere in the file system that FGRUN searches.

If It's not loading, then the "ICAO".groundnet.xml is not where FGFS.exe expects it to be, which it expects it to be in the file system pointed to in the FG_SCENERY box on the SELECT PATHS pane of FGRUN.

SO, it is there but it is not accessible

I suggest looking in \data\AI\Airports\ to see if you have an "ICAO" folder, where ICAO is the airport of interest and if you do, see if you have a file called "parking.xml" in that ICAO folder. This is also a place where FGRUN searches and finds and lists parking positions.

Copy this parking.xml file from the ICAO folder of interest and put it in one of two places.

If you look on your SELECT PATHS>FG_SCENERY you may have a scenery folder or a terrasync folder or both so put the parking.xml file in either:

/scenery/Airports/I/C/A/ folder or
terrasync/Airports/I/C/A/ folder

and rename the file to
"ICAO".groundnet.xml

so for the KLAX file going into the scenery folder the path would be

<flightgearFolder>/scenery/Airports/K/L/A/KLAX.groundnet.xml

Now start FGRUN and you may have to go to the LOCATIONS pane and hit the REFRESH to rebuild your airports.txt file. this can take a while and sometimes FGRUN crashes during the processes, so after a few seconds after hitting REFRESH and the list of airports whites out, I usually just close and restart FGRUN
After restart you can go to SELECT PATHS pane and watch the airports.txt file rebuild because when it is done rebuilding the delete key will no longer be grayed out.

Now try selecting the parking position again and starting FG normally. The sim may take a bit longer than normal to load as it rebuilds the NAVcache.

This mentioning of taking a while is for those of us that happen to have most of the world downloaded and the airport.txt and navCache has to rebuild everything by looking at thousands of folders and files in your scenery database. But if you don't have very much scenery yet, then it doesn't take very long at all and you might not even notice.
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby voltizle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Thank you guyz,
i have solved the problm by reformatting my notebook...i tried everything b4 like reinstalling FG now and then but ddnt work so yesterday i decided to reformatt and install a fresh copy of FG 3.0.0 and its working fine so far..
voltizle

Return to 3.0