Board index Other Forum

Quoting guidelines

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

Re: Quoting guidelines

Postby Lydiot » Thu May 19, 2016 7:04 pm

curt wrote in Thu May 19, 2016 5:13 pm: Sometimes we just need to let arguments drop and move on. Those people who can't let a few things shed off their backs or feel like they have to respond to every perceived offense will be stuck fighting old battles forever.

Thanks,

Curt.

And weren't you the one accusing others of creating their own warped reality? Yes, yes you were. So clearly you seem to think reality is important when YOU don't like the conclusions other people come to.

So, you simply prove my point. When your guys - and you if I remember correctly - write your version of history, questioning that and the way it is "proven" (by said out-of-context quotes (not by you btw)) is just ignored. And so you get to have your endless repetition of your untrue reality. If we on the other hand press you to acknowledge our refutation of your supposed evidence, THEN we "need to let arguments drop and move on".

Do you get what I'm saying here? You're perfectly fine with bugman and Thorsten quoting people out of context to "prove" their incorrect view of other people, and when that's questioned, and that questioning is subsequently ignored, then we should just be quiet because we need to let arguments drop. If not, you close the thread.

That is how you control your narrative Curt. You let your guys say what they want and repeat it, and place zero responsibility on them to actually argue the merits of their case.Then you shut down conversation when it becomes inconvenient.

When you complained about others rewriting reality I agreed with you. I think you were 100% correct in that PM. But it really doesn't seem like you could care less about having a higher standard here.
Lydiot

Postby Hooray » Thu May 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Honestly, whenever someone disagrees with facts as they're stated, I re-iterate my suggestion to spend some time in the archives to learn more about the events and how they unfolded - that will undoubtedly take more time than writing any angry posting on the forum, but it's also not exactly rocket science, so people can make up their own minds; and if someone truly cares, that someone can /also/ create their own statement to present the facts according to their interpretation of the events, preferably linking back to the discussions that took place, so that people can confirm any controversial statements.

That being said, I take it that many conversations between fgmembers and some FlightGear contributors did indeed take place in private, which is also supported by postings to be found over at the JBW place. In other words, some context may definitely be missing.

Stuart actually did the project, and its contributors, a great service when he locked that thread - including the folks over at the other place, who can now focus on much more interesting matters.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby curt » Thu May 19, 2016 7:17 pm

Lydiot, thanks for expressing your opinion, but you really only need to say things once, I heard you several threads ago.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby Hooray » Thu May 19, 2016 7:50 pm

To be fair, admittedly Lydiot has been playing the "bad cop" here, but people not following the JBW forum should also give him the benefit of the doubt, because I can assure you that he's also questioned some of the people, actions and tactics used by other side, as has KL-666.

Like I said previously, there's some interesting dynamics at work here - it almost seems like some people are turning into "double agents" meanwhile, playing both camps - and some are obviously trying to improve the situation for both sides.

As far as I can tell, that applies to both of the posters I mentioned in this thread - despite them having an interest in fgmembers, they're clearly trying to work out how to create a much more positive environment for both camps.

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Lydiot » Thu May 19, 2016 7:53 pm

curt wrote in Thu May 19, 2016 7:17 pm:Lydiot, thanks for expressing your opinion, but you really only need to say things once, I heard you several threads ago.

Weak response is weak.

But I look forward to you curbing Bugman when he goes on to repeat himself regarding FGMembers. I won't hold my breath though.
Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Thu May 19, 2016 7:55 pm

Hooray wrote in Thu May 19, 2016 7:50 pm: some are obviously trying to improve the situation for both sides.

As far as I can tell, that applies to both of the posters I mentioned in this thread - despite them having an interest in fgmembers, they're clearly trying to work out how to create a much more positive environment for both camps.

In my case I will reserve the right to express my displeasure with people making comparisons that are absurd and completely unnecessary as well as when people just make claims that are allowed to stand unchallenged when they can be not only wrong, but also the foundation of a bigger argument and therefore essential.

I don't care which "side" that happens on.
Lydiot

Postby Torsten » Thu May 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Sigh. Another thread, the same people, the same rubbish.
I have reported the entire second page as off-topic.

Any chance we talk about flight simulation in this forum again?
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Thu May 19, 2016 8:34 pm

you are right, but this is a sub-forum titled "forum", so it is intended to talk about forum matters - which this thread was originally (it being titled quoting guidelines).

But I expected Stuart to delete this anyway, because like you rightly say, the 2nd page is even offtopic given the title of this thread, and the nature of this sub-forum, it's just a continuation of the other debate in a different thread ...

However, postings about "flight simulation" in this forum would indeed be very much offtopic, too :D
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby bugman » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:54 am

I would like to remind all new forum users of our quoting guidelines. Please see the first post in this thread. Recently the amount of work for the moderators removing unnecessary quoting has been a bit excessive.

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Previous

Return to Forum