Board index Other Forum

Quoting guidelines

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

Quoting guidelines

Postby Gijs » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:45 am

Hi,

Guidelines
Please note that these are just guidelines. We won't punish anyone for mistakes and in certain situations it might be even advised to deviate from these guidelines.
  • if someone uses inappropriate language, report this to the moderators, but do not respond in the thread itself and especially not with a quote of the specific text.
  • if you reply to something, place the quote above your reply.
  • reading the same thing twice gets boring, for all of us. Therefore:
    • do not quote entire messages. Only quote the sentences that you reply to. If you reply to a whole post, just quote the key sentences. We'll all know what post you reply to. This also means, that you should omit "non-contributing" things like greetings. Please note that it might be better to post multiple quote-blocks instead of just one, when a post covers multiple sub-subjects.
    • try to avoid quoting quotes. In e-mails, it is common to attach the previous mails, but on a forum the previous posts are automatically displayed when replying to a thread.
    • never quote images, unless they were posted a few pages back, or posted a while ago.
    • if you reply to the post directly above you, do not quote at all, unless it is a long post where you may apply #1 to

How to quote?
Beside each post, you will find a couple of buttons. One of which is this one Image. Clicking this button will bring you to the reply-form, where you will find the entire post between quote tags. You can edit the quote block (deleting sentences, following the guidelines above) as you edit any other text. If you would like to create a quote yourself (e.g.. if you quote from some external website/book), you can click the Quote button above the write-field. An example of a quote block:

Code: Select all
[quote="Gijs"]Beside each post, you will find a couple of buttons.[/quote]

shows up as:
Gijs wrote:Beside each post, you will find a couple of buttons.

When attaching a name to the quote, make sure there are " around the name! Optionally you can add a link to the respective post by appending the post id, like this (happens automatically when clicking Image):
Code: Select all
[quote="Gijs";p=92471]Optionally you can add a link to the respective post[/quote]

which shows up as:
Gijs wrote in Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:45 am:Optionally you can add a link to the respective post

You are encouraged to use the Preview button to check your message before posting it.

Thanks a lot for your cooperation! Together we make this forum a pleasant place for all of us.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Re: Quoting guidelines

Postby Gijs » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:52 am

A small reminder for those that didn't see this yet, or forgot it already ;)
Gijs

Postby Oliver » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:59 pm

Gijs wrote:if you reply to the post directly above you, do not quote at all.

In my opinion it makes more sense to quote if the post directly above is very large.
It's better if you're able to show the users on what part exactly of the very large posting above you are answering.
Oliver

Postby Gijs » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks Oliver, I've adjusted the guidelines to be more clear on that part ;)
Gijs

Postby Gijs » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:46 am

A little bump for this one, as some of you still seem to forget it every now and then...

Summary: use less quoting rather than useless quoting ;)
Gijs

Postby VicMar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:48 am

Hi Gijs,

I think you misunderstood. I am saying I cannot get the field for quotes to appear by clicking on the 'Quote' box.

Neither can I get Smilies to appear in my posts.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby gooneybird » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:03 pm

You can get the quote etc. working by doing it longhand.
If you rest the mouse pointer over the quote etc. box you will get a pop-up showing the correct syntax, smilies can be done by typing the text equivalent. :)

Hopefully this will be corrected soon It's confusing my little old brain ;)
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby VicMar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks Brett,
I already knew that. I thought I was reporting something new.
DOH!
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby gooneybird » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:27 am

Yeah, I assumed that, but not everyone is as wise as us older buggers :wink: :twisted:
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby VicMar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:45 pm

not everyone is as wise as us older buggers
I suppose I should read EVERY post on the forum before thinking I can start a new thread.:oops:
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby Lydiot » Wed May 18, 2016 10:09 pm

There should be something in the guidelines about quoting and keeping the original context. Or at least moderators having the capacity to do so.
Lydiot

Postby Hooray » Thu May 19, 2016 4:23 pm

actually, most regular users are already doing this, i.e. either linking back to the original posting, or retaining the phpBB part of the PM quote to accomplish the same thing - personally, I tend to do it whenever I am quoting something/someone that is not to be found on the same of page of the thread I am responding to.

And in fact, bugman has been doing that quite religiously in the recent debate, too: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=29559&start=240#p285609

(In fact if you missed it, the date part is an actual link linking back to the original discussion)

But then again, I am not exactly known around here for using quotes too sparingly ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Lydiot » Thu May 19, 2016 4:41 pm

The problem isn't what you linked to, it's when people - like Bugman - quote without context, and moderators let that stand. Taking quotes out of context to attribute views to others is very shady, especially for a moderator.

Unfortunately we users who have a different opinion about that can't insist on moderators to actually defend that, because then moderators here characterize that as "bickering" or whatever, and close the thread.

It's quite disingenuous.
Lydiot

Postby curt » Thu May 19, 2016 5:13 pm

Guidelines can be helpful, but we can't write guidelines for everything. And guidelines don't solve underlying problems. People should know how to interact in a community and speak and act respectfully to each other. When someone chooses to argue or launch personal attacks, they will ignore guidelines (or contest the guidelines as being unfair or targeting one group more than another) on their way to saying whatever they want to say anyway. Sometimes we just need to let arguments drop and move on. Those people who can't let a few things shed off their backs or feel like they have to respond to every perceived offense will be stuck fighting old battles forever.

Thanks,

Curt.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby Hooray » Thu May 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Agreed, also it makes sense to omit the surrounding context and just provide a link to it, so that people can refer to it if needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_s ... om-posting

As most of you will have noticed by now, I have automated the whole process using a userscript addon, where I can basically turn a copy/paste-style selection into a properly-attributed quote for the forum or the wiki. I think it's an effective compromise; however, I have also been told that I am quoting out-of-context sometimes - which is why attributed quotes work best, so that people can look up the context of all statements.

Besides, I agree with Curt - it does not make sense to quote debates ad absurdum, which is why the aforementioned script is primarily used to quote technical discussions instead of community debates - for instance, the recent "Getting started with Canvas" thread on the devel list, and the responses that Thorsten and Richard posted, were turned into a wiki article without much/any manual work involved: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Introduction

However, it is obvious that sometimes people may need to refer back to the context of the original discussion, which is why providing references, and an appendix, works pretty well, even 10+ years from now: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Intro ... _Framework
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Next

Return to Forum