Board index Other Forum

Where to discuss the flying itself?

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

Where to discuss the flying itself?

Postby mifi » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi

I just noticed there does not seem to be a Topic for discussions about the flying itself.

Hints and tips about particular aircraft would be helpful for the interested (you know: "In this aircraft, push this button for that" kind of discussions). Hints and tips about navigation could be helpful too.

I am trying to teach myself how to fly the helicopter, for instance. (Yes I have read the wiki etc.. and I have started by using the bo105.) I can get it off the ground, fly around and land with the help of the wiki. However, hovering is proving to be quite a challenge. It would be nice to be able to discuss progress somewhere.

Is there a place where such discussions should be held? All I can think of now is 'General Help', which does not quite cover the subject. And it is full of all sorts of other help.

m
mifi

Version: git next

Re: Where to discuss the flying itself?

Postby 2011futuremarine » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:04 pm

I agree...it seems alot of folks are discouraged from asking these types of questions, and are rather pointed to the wiki...I'm sure alot of us don't mind answering these types of questions :)
Aircraft: primarily military
2011futuremarine

Callsign: Dodger4

Postby MD-Terp » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:13 am

The description for "General Help" reads: "Got it up and running? Now what? Questions and discussions about running FlightGear." To me, that's where the "how do I..." questions go.

2011futuremarine wrote:it seems alot of folks are discouraged from asking these types of questions

Only when they're the most basic, simple questions that could easily be answered by clicking on "Help" or reading ANY of the documentation, like "how do I start" or "what button controls the gear," etcetera. When it's clear that the poster made absolutely no effort to find or figure out the answer for themselves before posting the question, and especially when they wait less than an hour or two and post a response going "Why hasn't anyone responded yet?", this is what I think many veteran users get frustrated over. I speak for myself at the very least.
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby 2011futuremarine » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:29 pm

Yeah, that could be true
Aircraft: primarily military
2011futuremarine

Callsign: Dodger4

Return to Forum