Board index Other Forum

When you see spam...

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

When you see spam...

Postby Kugelfang » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:35 am

When you see a spam posting please report it to the moderators, by clicking the ! icon next to the post, and leave it at that. Reporting spam does help us a bit. Complaining about spam does not. We know that the bots have cracked the phbb captcha. However, bear in mind that posting about spam means that our volunteers have to spend even more time cleaning up the complaints.

Remember that posts you make on the FlightGear forum are a reflection of the FlightGear community. I have asked Curt to install additional human-centric registration modules. Until he sees fit to do that, we'll just have to deal with the spam as best we can. Please don't add to the burden.

Thank you.

--jeff
We were set in our ways. We believed in a good God, a bad Devil and a hot Hell, and more than anything else we believed that the same good God did not intend man should ever fly.
--Bill Tate (Crouch, The Bishop's Boys)
Kugelfang

Version: 2020.4.0

Re: When you see spam...

Postby Kugelfang » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:50 pm

Looks like we've got the upper hand again. Let's all give Curt a round of applause.

clap! clap! clap!

--jeff
We were set in our ways. We believed in a good God, a bad Devil and a hot Hell, and more than anything else we believed that the same good God did not intend man should ever fly.
--Bill Tate (Crouch, The Bishop's Boys)
Kugelfang

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby BrianVanSpeybroeck » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:59 am

Whoo Hoo! Thanks to Mod and Admin. we are free of the spammers. :D

Thank you!
Done!
BrianVanSpeybroeck

Postby MyName » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:59 am

It seems to be working, we're hoping that the bots won't come back again! :D
MyName

Postby Turnit » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:57 am

Ive seen an increasing amount of spam on the fourms, what are the admins doing to stop this?
Harbor Air Virutal - Launching 11/28/2019
Turnit

Callsign: Turnit
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby bugman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:59 am

Turnit wrote in Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:57 am:Ive seen an increasing amount of spam on the fourms, what are the admins doing to stop this?

They are waiting for you to report it ;) There's also a strong correlation of the amount of spam you see and the amount of time you spend on the forum :)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:58 pm

yep and there's the thing that you cannot stop it without some radical changes... the best thing to do is to stay on top of it and simply delete the accounts and their posts as soon as possible... yes, i'm an admin on several phpbb forums and this is the best course to take... eventually they will stop but it takes a while... one site that i admin used to retain the accounts and posts but the posts were moved to a private area for analysis so that tools could be worked on to prevent these incursions... as the spamming is all done with bots that create and validate accounts, it is going to be, just like anti-virus and anti-malware, a chase game... always... since that one forum stopped leaving the accounts and simply deleting them and their posts, the spam has dropped to almost nil but it has taken several years... their bots don't care but when the operators of those bots start seeing the back-links to their c4rp site diminish, it just isn't worth their time any more... so, as a good forum citizen and netizen, report the spammy posts using the "!" icon in the top right of the post...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:09 am

By the way, I guess the latest spam is the funnies one ever.... ironing tips!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:34 am

heh! i don't see it ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:35 am

Nope, it was deleted.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:47 am

or at least moved out of the view of us mere mortals ;) ;) ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Turnit » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:57 am

Its kind of funny how stupid some of the spam is. I remember one from a while back where he was a "pissed off customer" but never said what he was mad about.
Harbor Air Virutal - Launching 11/28/2019
Turnit

Callsign: Turnit
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:15 am

@turnit: you have to stop and remember that the spam is generally made up of nonsense quotes from where ever... all they care about is three things...

1. their post lasts some time for the search engine spiders to find the back-links they put in it
2. that the post seems realistic enough to pass being deleted
3. that viewers click on their links

in reference to #2, i've seen spam postings on sites where they take part of or an entire quote from another post and post that to try to legitimize their spammy posting... in 30+ years, nothing from spammers surprises me any more... many youthful and newcomers to the web simply don't know how the social engineering stuff works... especially when there are waaaaaaaaay tooo many intimate details being posted as a matter of course these days... really, though... do you need to tell others that you're leaving for a family reunion 3 hours away? that is one of the things that thieves look for because they know that they have at least six hours to rob your home...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Forum