Board index FlightGear Support Installation

problem to dowload scenary

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

problem to dowload scenary

Postby IronBat333 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:35 pm

Hi,
For 2 days, I have a problem with the scenary, I wanted to download the scenary again from the site http://geoffair.org/fg/site/Downloads/s ... 1.0.1.html (due to a problem with my computer). But it gives me an error. how can I have scenary ?
Thank you !
IronBat333

Re: problem to dowload scenary

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:52 pm

i don't know what is wrong there but that site is also failing for me when testing it just now, too... i suspect it is because the links are ftp which is being actively demoted in many browsers these days... it is possible the destination site, ibiblio, has also turned off ftp access...

[time passes]

further searching and it appears that ibiblio doesn't host the FG scenery any more... at least i'm unable to find anything like i was a year or so back... i'm not sure where one might find the ancient WS1.0 scenery any more...

at this time, the general recommendation is to enable "Scenery Download" in the launcher and let FG download your scenery as you go... this will be WS2.0, though... also be sure to be using the latest LTS release, 2020.3...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Gijs » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:34 am

Hi and welcome!

To complemented wkitty, I think the mirror still has the old scenery at http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/f ... ery-v2.12/ ? World Scenery 2.0 was released with FlightGear 3.0, so at the time of FlightGear 2.12 it was still WS1.0.
However, unless you have a very good reason to want this old scenery, I'd definitely recommend using the automatic scenery download feature as mentioned before.

Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:04 pm

rooting around on the mirror link gijs posted shows that the old Scenery-1.0.1 directory is also no longer on the mirror... not sure where one might find an archive of it... if one really really needs the old WS1.0 scenery, they might inquire on the devs' mailing list, flightgear-devel, at the "mailing lists" link at the top of these forums pages...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Gijs » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:48 pm

I think you misunderstood my comment. Scenery-v2.12 equals WS1.0. See the description at https://www.flightgear.org/download/scenery/
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:20 pm

OH! i have been thinking that was WS2 because "v2.12" in the directory name... the geoffair site links to tiles with "1.0.1" in the directory name... WS0??
Code: Select all
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/flightgear/ftp/Scenery-1.0.1/w010n50.tgz

code tags specifically to show a url from the geoffair site... that's what specifically makes me think the OP is looking for older scenery than the v2.12 stuff...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby IronBat333 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:00 pm

Thank you very much for your answers, I found an alternative, I took TerraMaster it’s WS2.0 and you can download what you want, continent or country or a island if you want. I give you the link if you are interesting ! ( https://wiki.flightgear.org/TerraMaster )
With the pleasure to see you in the sky !
IronBat333

Return to Installation