Board index Other Forum

Forum search

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

Forum search

Postby awen » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:03 am

Hi, I came to this question when trying to search for a variety of plane models. For example, keywords like "an-24" or "an-24b" yield nothing in any index, but "an24b" leads to a lot of results. Interestingly, one of the results is titled "Re: An-24 Autopilot". This totally does not make sense to me. How does the search function in this forum?
awen

Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Forum search

Postby Johan G » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:17 am

To be honest it is a mystery to people that have been around here for a decade.

I do know that some very common words are not indexed, which can be really frustrating at times.

My workaround when I fail at finding what I look for is to do a Google search and end the search string with site:forum.flightgear.org. Most of the time it will be of help.

To make it easier to find things I try to remember to write out the full name of aircraft (manufacturer, model, version and any common code- or nickname), and the full title of any images or videos together with a short description of the content.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby awen » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:36 pm

Johan G wrote in Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:17 am:... is to do a Google search and end the search string with site:forum.flightgear.org.

Thanks Johan! That's a super helpful suggestion and I now know that Google indexes our forum, which is cool.
awen

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Maerchenprinz » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:37 pm

Hi!

Under the Board index, you can see that Google[bot] is a registered user and logged in all the time... There must be some useful output to google's index!
I use that site: string, too, instead of our grumpy forum search.
@awen: As you seem to have some questions about the An-24, I await your questions impatiently!

Ciao,

Adrian
Maerchenprinz

Callsign: Adrian

Postby Johan G » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:35 am

Some posts were split off to the new topic Antonov An-24 autopilot questions.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Forum