Board index Other Forum

Dark theme (style)

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

Dark theme (style)

Postby C-FABP » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:54 pm

Is there a way to switch the forum to a dark theme (phpBB style)?

I keep forgetting to put on my sunglasses before opening the forum.
C-FABP

Callsign: C-FABP
Version: 2019.2.0

Re: Dark theme (style)

Postby Octal450 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:07 pm

I don't understand you dark-theme people. Its been known for a long time scientifically that light text on a dark background is harder on the eyes and harder to read than dark text on a light background.

If your screen is too bright - you may try turning down the brightness on your monitor :mrgreen:

But - it looks like we use a custom style for phpBB so probably someone would need to make a dark style for this - I'm not sure if phpBB supports dynamic themes switchable by the user?

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:11 pm

phpbb does support multiple themes and switching easily in the UCP... but someone has to create the themes on sites that use custom ones...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby icecode » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:35 pm

I don't understand you dark-theme people. Its been known for a long time scientifically that light text on a dark background is harder on the eyes and harder to read than dark text on a light background.

I disagree, and no scientific text is going to tell me what's harder to read for my very own eyes. :mrgreen:
icecode

Postby C-FABP » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:39 pm

Just found this demo site: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/prosilver/demo/3.2

Up in the top bar you can "Select a style". I quite like the "Multi Design". Well except for the banner.
C-FABP

Postby Gijs » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, somehow missed this topic. An (optional) dark variant is one of the new features that we'll be introducing with our upcoming forum update ;-)

Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby C-FABP » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:17 pm

Gijs wrote in Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:27 pm: our upcoming forum update ;-)
Gijs

If you are going to be doing a forum update any way, would you consider switching to something like Discourse?

I'm old so it took a while to get used to the modern look of Discourse after decades of traditional BBSs like phpBB, but now it's hard to go back.

They do free hosting for FLOSS projects like Flightgear, or you can install it on your own server.

What’s different about it?

Discourse is a from-scratch reboot, an attempt to reimagine what a modern Internet discussion forum should be today, in a world of ubiquitous smartphones, tablets, Facebook, and Twitter.

We’re civilized.
Our trust system means that the community builds a natural immune system to defend itself from trolls, bad actors, and spammers — and the most engaged forum members can assist in the governance of their community. We put a trash can on every street corner with a simple, low-friction flagging system. Positive behaviors are encouraged through likes and badges. We gently, constantly educate members in a just-in-time manner on the universal rules of civilized discourse.

Uncompromisingly open source.
There is only one version of Discourse – the awesome open source version. There’s no super secret special paid commercial version with better or more complete features. Because Discourse is 100% open source forum software, now and forever, it belongs to you as much as it belongs to us. That’s how community works.

Everything that most communities would want is included out of the box; a giant collection of complex plugins should not be required to have a great experience.

Simple. Modern. Fun.
Discourse pares all the complexity away and puts just the essential stuff on screen – the conversations you care most about, based on your participation.

All the modern amenities you’d expect from a big social website like Twitter or Facebook are present in Discourse. Mention someone by @name. Paste in a link or an image, and we make it awesome on your behalf. Simple quoting and linking of replies and topics. Reply wherever you are, online or via email.
C-FABP

Postby C-FABP » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:05 pm

We have robust, tested converters for vBulletin, phpBB, Vanilla, bbPress, SMF, Discuz, Drupal, and many more. We can work with you to migrate your existing forum software to Discourse.
C-FABP

Postby Delta5142 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:17 pm

I'm pretty late, but I have an application for chrome that can turn any website into dark mode. Check it out:
Come to think of it, the forum looks pretty good in dark mode. :)
Delta5142

Callsign: DAL5142

Postby TaiFrai » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:06 am

What is the name of the app?I like the style of the dark theme, and it doesn't strain my eyes too much.
TaiFrai

Postby Delta5142 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:03 pm

Ok, here we go. Prerequisites: you need to be using the google chrome browser. If you use any other, i.e. Bing, Ecosia, DuckDuckGo, it won't work. You OS doesn't matter. Make sure you have chrome 88. If you have anything less, it won't work. Go to "chrome://flags". What this is isa bunch of experimental features for chrome created by developers. Search up, "dark mode" in the search bar. Choose, "Force Dark Mode for Web Contents" and say "Enabled" on the drop down bar on the side. Relaunch chrome and pretty much all websites will be converted to dark mode. Hope this helped.
Delta5142

Callsign: DAL5142

Return to Forum