Board index Other Forum

Banning of Bomber and usairways231 (was Discord).

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

Re: Discord

Postby Octal450 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Yeah... no.
https://discordapp.com/company

Discord is their own company.

You were banned for misbehavior. This doesn't mean that you need to now try to get everyone else to leave. Your continued trolling in Mumble and Discord, including threats for hacking, and abuse just shows that you are troll.

Go back to your corner.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Last edited by Octal450 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby PINTO » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:26 pm

Discord works great for OPRF, I see no reason to leave. It doesn’t harm computers at all.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Clive2670 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:41 pm

I have discord and not had any problems with it "infecting" my laptop.....Can anyone tell me what "usairways231"s problem is please? Can't usairways231 be banned for abusive messages to pinto? I noticed "he"only joined on the 25/09/17 and is upseeting the community already!!!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Octal450 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:45 pm

+1
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby Bomber » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:21 pm

What abusive messages ?

Could we deal in some facts here ?
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Clive2670 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:46 pm

The one above.....BIG RED letters " This is your first warning"....It seemed like a threat to me?????? Maybe wrong?
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Bomber » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:53 pm

Is it abusive, which is what you called for him being banned for ?

And you can interpret it as being threatening.... but what's he actually threatening ?

#everyone
But whilst we're talking about Discord, the warbirds development side of it does need more people/developers interested in this type of plane... so why not join and have a conversation about the planes you'd like to see and possibly work on,
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Wecsje » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:58 pm

This is a troll that has been trolling both discord servers in the past, not sure how it is on the other server, but on the FG Community discord he came back a few times with different acounts and idk what, now he is trying to make us look bad on the forums lol.

C.
Twitch Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/wecsjelive
Contact methods: Discord (Wecsje#6351), FlightSims United discord (https://discord.me/flightsimsunited), Steam (Wecsje)
Track me on VATSIM: https://vatstats.net/pilots/1397313
Wecsje

Callsign: WS208J
Version: Newest

Postby Bomber » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:11 am

Just for the record Thorsten.... I don't really wish you were dead.

It's just a saying... maybe you could Google it and see.
Bomber

Postby Thorsten » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:04 pm

Actually nearly the first page of google results with the wording you've chosen leads to a Breaking Bad quote - Walter Junior screaming at his father who tries to contact him after it came to light that he's not only a Meth Kingpin but also has killed several people, including the kids' uncle. We may assume from the context that he means it and wishes his father dead at this point of the series.

In any case - also 'f$$$ you' is 'just' a saying without actually implying sexual intercourse - that still doesn't make it any better suited for a forum.

There's certain expressions which disqualify people from civilized conversation and puts them into the realm of trolls when used in a forum. Go figure...
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:23 pm

I do think Thorsten got a point though, anyone following the forum does know that the two of us had literally dozens of debates, and clashes over the years (and even more so in private) - but this kind of language is inappropriate, even without having to be religious or particularly educated. It makes collaboration increasingly difficult, if not even impossible.
Apart from that, at times I've personally dealt with other contributors for a number months only to realize much later that I was indeed talking to a teenager or contributors much younger than that.

Obviously, these things can be taken more lightly if English is your first language, but if it isn't, it's hard to put a proper context around these kinds of "exchanges".
Like I said elsewhere, I am not easily offended, and I am familiar with colloquial English - but it's simply inappropriate, and ineffective, to deal with others like that.

I think it's about time for a reality check here to see for yourself - e.g. the fgmembers "founders" used to be using that kind of language and tactics all over the place, and it's basically not served them too well, despite fgmembers generally consisting of motivated and talented individuals with a lot of expertise that they could potentially bring to the table (DrDavid comes to my mind) - it's this kind of language, attitude and mentality that "tainted" their reputation in my opinion - and I'd say, that also goes for other people using similar tactics.

We've seen other, less dedicated - and sometimes even much less-experienced/skilled, contributors getting to shape the FlightGear project much more than people who ought to be in a much better position to do so on purely technical grounds - which goes to show that we're dealing with people here, not machines.

To be fair though, this also isn't unheard of even on the devel list - it seems things became a bit calmer over there once some of the more regular contributors began teaming up to meet at certain FlightGear related events (think FSWeekend/LinuxTag) - which kinda makes sense, it is unlikely for people to yell at each other on a public forum like this if they have actually met, and spoken to each other, in person.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a lesson to be learnt here ? For instance, maybe this would also be something that could work for people interested in T4T/combat related FlightGear development, or fgmembers as a whole ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby curt » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:28 pm

Sorry everyone, bomber is done here. My full time job is not being a judge of forum squabbles, but once the subject gets steered to people wishing or not wishing other people's death, that is just way too far for me. Sorry bomber, you were already way into extended time on the forum here anyway.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:51 pm

While it may certainly seem unfortunate to some people, it's probably been long overdue in the light of the events - and it is also covered by the forum rules.

I guess that had Stuart noticed certain postings, this would have happened much earlier, which goes to show that we do indeed deal differently, i.e. much more lenient, with people based on their track record and reputation, I don't think this community, and certainly not its moderators, would have been as forgiving had Bomber not been such a talentend aircraft developer.

Anyway, too bad - but not exactly unexpected, I would have myself expected to be excluded from this community had I made certain postings/comments, and rightly so ... I guess, it's a fairly elegant way to "retire" while making this community and its moderators look bad to people who are into conspiracy theories.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Octal450 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:57 pm

(Disregard)
Last edited by Octal450 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Octal450

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:31 pm

It's not arguing, it's putting things into perspective - and that's for a reason, because some people over at the other place will come up with all sorts of conspiracy theories, possibly suggesting again that Thorsten is being protected by senior project members and that they're not being treated fair - whereas Bomber himself was a seasoned forum member himself, and received more than just a few warnings in response to such comments and postings, but also complained about -and possibly reported- other users using much controversial tactics and language (myself included).
Given Bomber's own track record and experience dealing with this forum and community, I am pretty sure he knew exactly what he was doing and that this is just another "game" for him, so that this community will look bad - whereas he was the one who crossed a line, more than just once.

(And no, I am certainly not defending Thorsten, nor do I think he wants/needs to be defended - this could have been any other user, even just someone with a new account, it would still not have been acceptable)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Next

Return to Forum