Board index Other Forum

Seeking direct communication with user Gijs

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

Seeking direct communication with user Gijs

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:13 pm

I have reason to communicate with user Gijs directly.
When I attempt to contact him or her using the private message feature of the FlightGear Forum,
I receive the error message:
"The requested users to be added do not exist."
Please respond quickly, as user Gijs has shown a tendency to move my posts from where they were originally posted to a new destination on the forum of his or her choosing, and me, I pay for internet access by the minute, so, it is very expensive for me to chase after my own posts according to the decisions of moderator Gijs.
I tried several times to contact him or her privately by using the private message function of the forum, but each time I tried to send him or her a private message, I received the error message " The requested users to be added do not exist."
Now, I would like all persons reading this post to consider something from the point of view of the end user.
I am the end user.
First, I make a post in the forum about a support issue.
Then, member Gijs (apparently a moderator) moves my post to some other part of the forum.
Then, I use the private message function of the forum to contact moderator Gijs directly,
Then, I cannot reach Gijs directly, and instead I get an error message.
All this time, I am paying money per minute for my internet access.
Somebody should fix this, and fix it very fast.
No end user should ever have to face this kind of a situation when entering into the forums.
The FlightGear forum is not a whorehouse.
FlightGear is better than that.
As an end user, I expect this problem to be addressed immediately, and fixed immediately (meaning before tomorrow).
If user Gijs as moderator is moving my posts around from one area of the forum to another area in the forum, that's ok, it is his or her right as a moderator to do so, but I should be able to contact him or her immediately in response by private message and without receiving any error message as a result of my attempts to reach him or her.
Please fix it.
cj
Last edited by captainjack on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
captainjack

Re: Seeking direct communication with user Gijs

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:22 pm

captainjack wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:13 pm:I pay for internet access by the minute, so, it is very expensive for me to chase after my own posts according to the decisions of Gjis.

look at the logo picture at the top of this page... see that black bar under it? the 5th link over is "your posts"... it will show you all your own posts... no need to go digging and rooting about wasting your hard earned $$$ ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:51 pm

wkitty42,
At the top of the forum window regardless of browser type, there is always a link available "Your posts".
By clicking on the "Your posts" option available in any browser, any user can see immediately a list of his or her posts in the forum.
This is understood by (almost) all of us.
Thank you for taking your time to reply to my post.
You are very prolific and helpful in your responses, but I think you should spend just a bit more time reading posts and understanding the spirit of their import before you click the "Submit" button in order to reply to them.
And yes, I realize that you have been associated with the Flightgear project for 20 or so years.
Every time you post in one of my threads, I am happy about it, and I look forward to reading anything that you have to say.
I have known you for only a month or so, and I make a proper judgment that you click on "Submit" too quickly, and that you should spend a little bit more time reading the original post and figuring out what the original poster is looking for before you click on "Submit" in response.
If I may suggest to you, do not try to be helpful to everyone all of the time.
Instead, try to be helpful to some, and only some of the time, only when you really have a good point to share that would help the Original Poster in his or her specific problem.
I am grateful for your participation in the forum, and I thank you for all of the times when I posted a problem and you came immediately to try to assist me.
your friend here in the forums,
cj
captainjack

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:06 pm

AGAIN:
I have reason to communicate with user Gijs directly.
When I attempt to contact him or her using the private message feature of the FlightGear Forum,
I receive the error message:
"The requested users to be added do not exist."
Please respond quickly, as user Gijs has shown a tendency to move my posts from where they were originally posted to a new destination on the forum of his or her choosing, and me, I pay for internet access by the minute, so, it is very expensive for me to chase after my own posts according to the decisions of moderator Gijs.
I tried several times to contact him or her privately by using the private message function of the forum, but each time I tried to send him or her a private message, I received the error message " The requested users to be added do not exist."
Now, I would like all persons reading this post to consider something from the point of view of the end user.
I am the end user.
First, I make a post in the forum about a support issue.
Then, member Gijs (apparently a moderator) moves my post to some other part of the forum.
Then, I use the private message function of the forum to contact moderator Gijs directly,
Then, I cannot reach Gijs directly, and instead I get an error message.
All this time, I am paying money per minute for my internet access.
Somebody should fix this, and fix it very fast.
No end user should ever have to face this kind of a situation when entering into the forums.
The FlightGear forum is not a whorehouse.
FlightGear is better than that.
As an end user, I expect this problem to be addressed immediately, and fixed immediately (meaning before tomorrow).
If user Gijs as moderator is moving my posts around from one area of the forum to another area in the forum, that's ok, it is his or her right as a moderator to do so, but I should be able to contact him or her immediately in response by private message and without receiving any error message as a result of my attempts to reach him or her.
Please fix it.
cj
captainjack

Postby wlbragg » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:39 pm

In the private message area, did you try "Find a member" and type in the "username" field Gijs, click on search. At the bottom of that search page you get his initials as a green link with a check box next to. Click on the green link initials and then choose "Send private message". That should get you a correctly addressed private message to fill out and send to him.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:09 pm

wlbragg wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:39 pm:In the private message area, did you try "Find a member" and type in the "username" field Gijs, click on search. At the bottom of that search page you get his initials as a green link with a check box next to. Click on the green link initials and then choose "Send private message". That should get you a correctly addressed private message to fill out and send to him.

wlbragg thank you.
First, I received a private message from him. It is important to remember this fact.
I just tried the "reply" option.
then I clicked on his green username and tried the " send " option.
I ended up with the same error message each time.
I was only trying to reply to the private message that he had already sent to me.
You know, I've been using email on the open web for twenty years now, and it is very intuitive and very consistent in its behavior.
Not so with FlightGear Private messages.
Private email here within the FlightGear forums is not intuitive at all.
Long story short, I tried two ways, neither way worked.
In each case I was trying to respond to the private message that I had already received from his account.
I realize that this is not his fault, I have no problem at all with him. My complaint is against this awkward, inneficient, broken communication system within the FlightGear forum messaging system.
I appreciate your input.
cj
captainjack

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:47 am

captainjack wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:51 pm:And yes, I realize that you have been associated with the Flightgear project for 20 or so years.

no... i've only been doing the flightgear thing for two years... the flightgear project is 20 years old... i wish that i had found flightgear way back when, though...

on the other hand, i am a coder, developer, engineer and understand how projects work... i've also been a tech support person and run my own tech consulting and retail sales firm... what i do today in these forums and those of other things i support (firewalls, intrusion detection, network security) i do as a volunteer as most folks here are doing... we don't get paid to do this ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:51 am

when replying to a PM that you have received, you only need click the reply or quote button... the destination name is already filled out...

you can also go to the bottom of the pages and click on the "team members" link... you will see that he is an administrator as well as a moderator... if you click on his name, it will take you to his user record... from there you can click on the private message link and send him a message... there is no need to click the "add" button as he is already in the To: field...

whatever it is that you are doing, something isn't being done properly... especially if the system is telling you he can't be found... that indicates that the name is wrong, if nothing else...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wlbragg » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:57 am

First, I received a private message from him. It is important to remember this fact.
I just tried the "reply" option.
then I clicked on his green username and tried the " send " option.
I ended up with the same error message each time.

Sorry captainjack, that does sound like a bum deal and I can see how it could be really frustrating especially with limited Internet access.

However, I have never heard of this happening before so I wouldn't be too quick to make a federal case out of it even though to you it appears that way.

I am the end user.

Please see http://wiki.flightgear.org/How_the_FlightGear_project_works for some insight on the inner workings of this community of which you are now a part of.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:07 am

wlbragg wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:57 am:
Sorry captainjack, that does sound like a bum deal and I can see how it could be really frustrating especially with limited Internet access.

However, I have never heard of this happening before so I wouldn't be too quick to make a federal case out of it even though to you it appears that way.

hello wlbragg, and thank you for your reply.
It is my personality style to make a federal case out of everything!
That is not ideal.
I am learning to relax a bit here and to not make a federal case out of everything.
Thank you for your advice, it is good advice, and I am now following it.
cj
captainjack

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:08 am

wkitty42 wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:47 am:
captainjack wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:51 pm:And yes, I realize that you have been associated with the Flightgear project for 20 or so years.

no... i've only been doing the flightgear thing for two years... the flightgear project is 20 years old... i wish that i had found flightgear way back when, though...

on the other hand, i am a coder, developer, engineer and understand how projects work... i've also been a tech support person and run my own tech consulting and retail sales firm... what i do today in these forums and those of other things i support (firewalls, intrusion detection, network security) i do as a volunteer as most folks here are doing... we don't get paid to do this ;)

wkitty42,
I stand corrected, and thank you for correcting me.
cj
captainjack

Return to Forum