Board index Other Forum

Trying to post with screenshot; no option 4 screenshot

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

Trying to post with screenshot; no option 4 screenshot

Postby captainjack » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:10 am

Hello,
I would like to make a post to this forum with screenshot attatched.
I see no option anywhere to add an image file so that the screenshot can be included in the post.
I know the "add screenshot to post" option must exist somewhere, because I see so many other posts where screenshots are included in the post.
If the option is there, it is not intuitive and I cannot find it.
Can somebody please advise me on the proper technique to add a screenshot image to a post.
Thank you,
cj
captainjack

Re: Trying to post with screenshot; no option 4 screenshot

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:37 am

You'll need to get an external online photo hosting website like Google Photo, Imgur or Photobucket, and link photos, FG forum has no uploading and hosting of photos.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby captainjack » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:03 am

LesterBoffo,
Thank you for the reply.
John
captainjack

Postby captainjack » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:03 am

I don't want any external hosting involvement.
I don't want google or Photobucket or any other image-hosting site inside my computer.
I don't want to register with any such site.
I don't want any of them inside my email box.
I don't want to register with any of them at all.
I don't want to have anything to do at all with any such image-hosting site.
These are "third party" entities and it ruins my Flightgear experience to have to deal with any of them, at all.
Does that mean I cannot post a screenshot in the FlightGear forums?
cj
captainjack

Postby PINTO » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:41 am

Imgur (at least) does not require registration. But, if you're not going to use third party image hosting, then yeah you're out of luck.

e: another way is for you to make your own website (even a free one, like blogger) and host the images yourself.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:27 pm

in other words, these forums host the verbiage... you need to host or find a host for your images so these forums' server(s) are not having to spend gigabytes and gigabytes and gigabytes of space for all the thousands of images people post...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:46 pm

PINTO wrote in Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:41 am:Imgur (at least) does not require registration. But, if you're not going to use third party image hosting, then yeah you're out of luck.

e: another way is for you to make your own website (even a free one, like blogger) and host the images yourself.

hello PINTO,
and thank you for the reply.
I appreciate a clear answer, and you answered my question fully and perfectly and without many words.
I now understand my options should I wish to post a screenshot in any of my posts here in the forum.
best wishes,
cj
captainjack

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:51 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:27 pm:in other words, these forums host the verbiage... you need to host or find a host for your images so these forums' server(s) are not having to spend gigabytes and gigabytes and gigabytes of space for all the thousands of images people post...

hi there wkitty42,
thanks for your reply.
From your reply I understand that without 3rd party image hosting sites, the FG forum site would have to hold all of the screenshots,
and that doing so would be very expensive for the FG forum site in terms of data storage.
Because of your answer, I understand this better now than I did before my post, and thanks again.
cj
captainjack

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:48 pm

you are quite welcome, sir :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby captainjack » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:35 am

captainjack

Postby Johan G » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:33 am

@captainjack:
While I see that your questions have been answered, I am a bit surprised that no one pointed you to the FAQ: Screenshots sticky topic in the Media subforum. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:58 am

Johan G wrote in Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:33 am:@captainjack:
While I see that your questions have been answered, I am a bit surprised that no one pointed you to the FAQ: Screenshots sticky topic in the Media subforum. ;)

Hello Johan G,
You are correct when you state that nobody pointed me there.
I think nobody pointed me there because my question was answered both directly and generally here in the forum, so there was no need to point me to any other location elsewhere in the forum.
I understand now that the FG project uses outside image hosting sites for screenshots so that they do not have to host user screenshots on their own servers, and it now makes perfect sense to me why the FG forum controllers would use freely available, outside image hosting services to host user screenshots rather than accept the storage burden of hosting such images into its own servers.
Thank you for taking your time to respond to my post, I appreciate that alot.
cj
captainjack

Return to Forum