Board index Other Forum

New moderator - Bugman

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

New moderator - Bugman

Postby Gijs » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi all,

Along with the publishing of the Forum Rules, the forum team decided that we need to increase the number of moderators to share the burden and hopefully ensure more timely moderation. After considering a number of candidates we asked Edward (bugman) to become a moderator, and we're delighted that he's accepted. Together with Stuart, Johan and myself, he will do his best to make the forum a pleasant and constructive place for our community. Let me emphasize that you can contribute your share to that, by clicking the report (!) icon next to posts that require moderator attention.

At the same time, we would like to thank Hooray for his help moving topics to the proper subfora. Since the addoption of the current forum structure, the majority of topics is now correctly categorised. Hooray has been in a rather unique position as he didn't have full moderation rights, and hasn't been involved in discussions such as that which resulted in the Forum Rules. That's a bit unsatisfactory as well as confusing to users, and Hooray has asked that we revoke his moderator privileges.

A complete list of the current forum team can be found in this overview

Cheers,
Gijs (moderator)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Re: New moderator - Bugman

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:21 pm

I would like to reiterate the other suggestion we have discussed behind the scenes to also provide bugman with admin access on the wiki - to see why, you can look at this contributions for yourself: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Special:Contributions/Bugman

Personally, I will be too busy with other things - like I mentioned recently in private.

And like I also mentioned a few times previously, please do feel free to downgrade my wiki access/account, too.

Thank you
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:18 pm

Bugman -- very happy to see you join the moderation team, and I'm sure you will do an excellent job.

Hooray -- sorry to see you step back a little. Ever since I have known you, you have done an excellent job here.
Thanks!
Jonathan
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:42 pm

@legoboyvdlp: Well, thank you, but cutting back on virtual stuff like FG is unrelated to recent events/debates - it has more to do with real life and changing priorities.

Apart from that, let me say: you can be the change you want to see - so no matter if you disagree with others or not, and unrelated to their seniority or position - I think you have seen enough people around here who made quite a difference without necessarily requiring certain "privileges".
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Bomber » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:10 pm

Wow..... saying the right stuff really does get you places around here...

Step in the wrong direction.....
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:57 pm

I don't know what exactly you are referring to - but I completely agree with the decision, in fact I originally sent out the message to Curt, Gijs and other moderators to consider nominating bugman accordingly - just like I did it with Red Leader and Johan G previously (referring to the wiki here).

I do wholeheartedly think that these people are more suitable to be moderators/admins around here than others, myself included.

Personally, I didn't particularly appreciate the fact that I was permanently being told by /some/ people that I should tread more carefully because I was listed as "part of the team".

Equally, I do believe in a separation of powers - i.e. I find it pretty unfortunate that some people around here have to juggle so many roles and are wearing so many hats: in some cases, that is very obvious - e.g. core developers involved in moderating the forum and the wiki, who are obviously "over-qualified" on the one hand (because they know how to patch/rebuild C++ code), but on the other hand not necessarily the most lenient people to deal with - despite not being avid posters around here, while (often at the same time) certain behavior would be tolerated on the devel list, especially by those who are considered "more senior".

Therefore, it's a liberating thing from my perspective - and as just another user, I am confident that the people I helped nominate, will deal fairly with others and not be over-zealous when it comes to moderating the forum.

As someone who has helped with some forum and wiki matters for several years, I think this is one of the strengths of the forum and the wiki, because it isn't much of a risk to nominate/promote people to help with these affairs - so that we don't need to face a shortage of helping hands, like the shortage "currently" faced by the group of remaining core developers.

And I really do appreciate that Gijs and Curt considered/discussed my nominations behind the scenes despite some fairly heated debates and my role in them.

I do sincerely hope that this practice of nominating potential successors will be kept up by those who are taking a hiatus from FG matters, and that it will hopefully spread to other parts of the project, especially core development - as someone who's been using FlightGear professionally for the better part of the last decade, I am convinced that there's tons of manpower that could be leveraged if more core developers had done that - manpower that currently lies dormant - having a team of just 3 project admins (i.e. those who can add new members) listed on sourceforge, and no procedures in place to rejuvenate the project, is rather unfortunate, especially taking into account that not all of them are actively involved in core development matters.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:07 pm

Hooray wrote in Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:42 pm: has more to do with real life and changing priorities.

Exactly.

who made quite a difference without necessarily requiring certain "privileges".

I couldn't agree with that more.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby bugman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 am

Thanks everyone! Hopefully I can help lighten the load for the current mods, help in the epic battle against spam bots (first one down, thanks for reporting Lydiot), and help things to run smoothly.

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Postby jharris1993 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Hooray wrote in Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:57 pm:I don't know what exactly you are referring to - but I completely agree with the decision, in fact I originally sent out the message to Curt, Gijs and other moderators to consider nominating bugman accordingly - just like I did it with Red Leader and Johan G previously (referring to the wiki here).

I do wholeheartedly think that these people are more suitable to be moderators/admins around here than others, myself included.

<the rest of his posting included herein by reference :wink: >

Hooray,

First of all, let me quote a Russian figure of speech my wife uses: "I could sign my name under everything he said!"
In other words, I could not agree more with both what you said and all the effort you've put into making the FG fora the place I'm spending most of my time nowadays. Taking into account your patience, consideration and skill, I am rather surprised to learn you were not a moderator here. :shock: :cry:

You, yourself, have been one of the beacons of light that have guided my way and inspired me to write my "Thank You!" posting, understanding full well that the bald phrase "thank you" is an incredible example of an understatement.

Knowing the other moderators around here, (as little as I do), and valuing your recommendations as much as I do, I am sure that Bugman will continue in the time-honored tradition of the FG moderators, and I look forward to his contributions.

Jim (JR)
What say ye?

Jim (JR)

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb
jharris1993

Callsign: $%^&ing Idiot!
Version: Whatever..

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:38 pm

hooray was a moderator here... they just never used that privilege... not sure if they even set that group as their primary group so their name color would be matched with the moderator group...

FWIW: one can easily see who the moderators are by looking in the moderator group... the color of one's name may give a hint but only to that of their selected primary group...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:19 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:38 pm:FWIW: one can easily see who the moderators are by looking in the moderator group...

One can also click the link The team found at the right bottom of every forum page. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby BBmine » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:59 am

Bugman? Is this the bugman that plays Minetest?
BBmine

Callsign: BBmine

Postby bugman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:09 am

No, I'm not. Bugman is unfortunately an extremely common user/login name. On Gmail for example there are literally hundreds of combinations that use 'bugman' in it.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Return to Forum