Board index Other Forum

Why does the Search ignore "engine"?

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

Why does the Search ignore "engine"?

Postby flywisher » Tue May 26, 2015 6:14 am

I was looking under "Flying" for any mention of jet engine controls. I wanted to try the in-cockpit startup of the F-14b (JSBsim) that is said to be possible now. I actually did it months ago. Since it loads with engines running, you first have to shut them down.

The instructions say to pull out the Fuel Cutoffs. Well, I did tonight and they had no effect. So I opened the Fuel and Stores screen and set all tanks to zero. Still no change. It just kept running.

In the past, I'm sure I saw a way to shutdown a jet engine in FlightGear. I used it last year with the F-80 and it worked.

But I can't remember what it was.

I tried querying the "Flying" forum for "jet engine controls", or "jet engine start", or similar. A perfectly reasonable query.

But it consistently tells me it ignores the word "engine", even when I put a "+" in front of it! Why? That's an important context filter word in aviation discussion. "Jet controls" gets me all manner of discussion of FLIGHT controls and SIMULATOR controls. Not the same thing at all!
flywisher

Callsign: flywisher

Re: Why does the Search ignore "engine"?

Postby Johan G » Tue May 26, 2015 9:39 am

I often bump in to the issue of words that can not be found using the forum search function. :roll: I do not fully know why, but I would guess it has to do with the size of the search index.

My usual work around is to use Google search and end the search string with 'site:forum.flightgear.org'. It has helped me many, many times. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Tue May 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby flywisher » Tue May 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Thank you Hooray. Now I understand. Even learned a couple new things - the "site" specific search and "lmgtry". Neat!
flywisher

Callsign: flywisher

Return to Forum