Board index Other Forum

"Documentation" as a "Development" topic?

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

"Documentation" as a "Development" topic?

Postby jharris1993 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:08 am

Hello everyone!

I have had the pleasure of reading a number of the forum posts all around here, (I'm a fairly fast reader), and this appears to be a hoppin' bunch!

I like flight sims in general, and the idea of an open source sim absolutely facinates me. In fact, I even wrote an article aobut it in my own blog, QA Tech-Tips where I talk about the 2.6 release.

Now, I do know a little bit about coding, (a software QA engineer should know somthing about the process), but I do not claim to be a "coder" per se. However, I am pretty good at writing, and I believe that working on, creating, or improving documentation is an essential part of the process.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a lack of discussion - or a particular home for that matter - for discussion about documentaton issues, what needs to be done, what the priorities are, etc. etc. etc. Even trying to find any links or clues as to how to contribute to the documentation process has been an exercise in frustration.

I would like to humbly suggest that - in addition to the other "development" categories already listed - a category be created for documentation. This way, those of us who want to help with documentation issues can get together, organize our efforts, and begin working to fill a known vacuum in the project.

Likewise, on the project's main page, where the categories of effort are listed, a "documentation" category would be gratefully appreciated.

( p.s. Feel free to visit my blog at http://www.qatechtips.com to see an example of my ramblings on a variety of computer related topics.)

What say ye?

Jim (JR)
What say ye?

Jim (JR)

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb
jharris1993

Callsign: $%^&ing Idiot!
Version: Whatever..

Re: "Documentation" as a "Development" topic?

Postby stuart » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi Jim,

Welcome!

Having Documentation as a Development topic sounds like a great idea. I'll see what I can do to add it - I don't have permission myself.

I'm one of the maintainers of the official FlightGear Manual, which is distributed with each release. If you'd like to contribute to that you would be very welcome.

The source is in Latex. You can either download the source from gitorious (https://gitorious.org/fg/getstart) and compile it yourself, or just email me updates.

The other major source of documentation is the wiki (link at top of page).

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby stuart » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:39 pm

BTW - Gijs has very kindly just created a new Documentation sub-forum.

Fell free to post any follow-up questions/ideas there.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby jharris1993 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:57 pm

stuart wrote in Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:22 pm:Hi Jim,

Welcome!

Having Documentation as a Development topic sounds like a great idea. I'll see what I can do to add it - I don't have permission myself.

I'm one of the maintainers of the official FlightGear Manual, which is distributed with each release. If you'd like to contribute to that you would be very welcome.

The source is in Latex. You can either download the source from gitorious (https://gitorious.org/fg/getstart) and compile it yourself, or just email me updates.

The other major source of documentation is the wiki (link at top of page).

-Stuart

Stuart,

Thanks! Giji has stepped in and is helping to move this along too.

Though I do a certain amount of work in Linux, (primarily file server configs, etc.), my favorite documentation tool is Word Perfect in Windows, if for no other reason than I know it well having used it for years. (. . . .and the fact that it is a pretty darn good "DTP" application doesn't hurt.) I'm not knocking LaTex, I just have not used it and, (at least for now), I would rather contribute something useful instead of banging my head against yet another writing tool.

Is there some common format that these two tools share, such as Rich Text, that we can use to collaborate effectively? (I don't think that WP can create LaTex "source" files, but I could be wrong - I'll have to go check.) It would be damn handy if I could produce output that you can import directly, and you likewise to me.

I also agree that the Flight Gear Manual is a great place for us to start. It's 99% of the way there, primarily needing updating, so this will be a good way for us to sync our efforts. We can tackle other, more daunting, projects later when we've gotten the kinks worked out.

Of course, the REAL "rock in the road" that I see is that we keep misspelling each others words. ( :lol: )

Ideas?

Thanks!

Jim (JR)
What say ye?

Jim (JR)

Robert F. Kennedy

Old Chinese Proverb
jharris1993

Postby jharris1993 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:58 pm

Stuart,

Since the object of this thread has been graciously granted, I have decided to "migrate" this discussion - which is rapidly transforming itself into a "how do we sync our efforts, work out the kinks, and collaborate effectively?" topic - to the newly created "Documentation" sub-forum. located at viewtopic.php?f=72&t=18343, since I believe that it is more (ahem!) "topical" there. (laughing!)

I have also left a pointer there, referencing this discussion, so that anyone who may wish to join us will have a sense of the history of this topic.

I will also PM both Giji and yourself.

=============================

Giji,
Since this thread's topic has been graciously granted by you, and since I have tried to move this discussion to that forum you created for us, you may wish to close this topic at this time.

Again, thanks for all your help!

Jim (JR)
What say ye?

Jim (JR)

Robert F. Kennedy

Old Chinese Proverb
jharris1993

Return to Forum