Board index Other Forum

forum.flightgear.org hacked? / AV-software warning

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

Re: forum.flightgear.org hacked? / AV-software warning

Postby polly » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:33 pm

that can only come from an american...
Really ?
polly

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:46 pm

Gijs wrote in Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:46 pm:
OE-LML wrote in Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:36 pm:Seems to be the links (?too?).

No, that's most likely triggered bg Husky Dynamics' avatar (which is hosted at his website).

then why does my avatar not trigger the same warning? i, too, host my own...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:47 pm

merspieler wrote in Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:54 pm:My ff quietly suppresses that, gives the this message when I look into it: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

ahhhhh, yes, that will cause problems... and rightly so...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:16 am

t is correct and important that this not only throws and error but also doesn't load at all without your explicit confirmation, else someone could tamper with your DNS (very easy, ISPs often mess with your DNS), point your banks URL at their own server and then pretend to be your bank and get your bank details... this is one of the very things SSL was designed to prevent.

If internet banking is truly in danger by the mere fact that an avatar image for a random forum is not on an encrypting server, then I'd say that internet banking is in serious trouble.

Obviously there's different security needs for different operations in the web (and different people may decide upon their private security level just as well) - and personally I don't see downloading an image over an open connection as an issue (while I see internet banking as a highly sensitive issue for which I accept quite different level of trouble).

It's actually similar to your possessions - while you'd lock a famous painting into a vault and chain your mountainbike to a pole, you'd presumably not lock your teacup into a vault. So some things can be stolen from you more easily than others - and there's a reason for that if you think about it. It makes no sense to assign one blanket security level to all of your possessions.
Thorsten

Postby MariuszXC » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:42 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:46 pm:then why does my avatar not trigger the same warning? i, too, host my own...

Your avatar seems to be hosted on a https supporting server, with a valid certificate (issued by Let's Encrypt), so it appears 'legit' to all browsers.
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby polly » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:04 pm

Follwing my banker's advice I've dragged bitwisetech into this century. It still thinks the other one had its points.
polly

Postby Octal450 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:49 pm

merspieler wrote in Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:25 pm:that can only come from an american... all data is worth protecting from highly motivated criminal ornanizations... Such as 3-letter government agencies

You seem to be very paranoid.
I typically await evidence before following tin-foil-hat conspiracies.

Besides. If they want to see me research aircraft and electronics? Why do I care? :mrgreen: Besides, anyone who carries a mobile phone is tracked about way more "critical" and "important" things such as location etc...

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby merspieler » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:22 pm

You've got to be paranoid before hand, afterwards it's too late.

Octal450 wrote in Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:49 pm: Besides, anyone who carries a mobile phone is tracked about way more "critical" and "important" things such as location etc...

Guess who doesn't carry a phone around?
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby MariuszXC » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:35 pm

Just pointing out, that these days _not_ carrying a phone also raises some flags..
How about that level of paranoia within paranoia? :D
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby Octal450 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:21 pm

You are free to be paranoid if you wish, I personally don't really worry about it that much. I turn off options as I see fit and whatever else is there, so be it.

Personally, I more important things to worry about and when I'm not worrying about that, I rather enjoy life!

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby Thorsten » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:21 am

You are free to be paranoid if you wish,

I guess that about summarizes it.

You may insist in always having a safe to store your teacups in the cooking place (for some reason I may not post the real word 'kitch**', the forum software says so...) rather than a cupboard, but that doesn't oblige any landlord to provide that for you. So there will be many flats which you can't rent then.

Likewise, you may insist in only visiting encrypted sites in the internet, there's just some you won't see then.

And that's all there is to it (and it'll be the same 2032 because it is not a question of technology but attitude).
Thorsten

Previous

Return to Forum