Board index FlightGear Development Tutorials and missions

git repo (fgdata clone)

Interactive in-sim tutorials and missions

git repo (fgdata clone)

Postby Hooray » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:37 am

could someone set up a repo where all contributors could commit their stuff ? I am specifically referring to Marius_A's Nasal changes, and DFaber's models & Nasal. Now that ludomotico is also interested in helping with things, it would surely be a good idea to set up either a shared clone or a dedicated team clone so that people can easily collaborate and prototype things without having to directly commit to fgdata.

Specifically, I am also interested in adding 2-3 features, including a MapStructure-based canvas map to the tutorial.xml dialog, which would be optionally shown to demonstrate a mission and its main geographic objectives/waypoints, kinda like a "mission preview" - for example to show the Red Bull air race track or something like that. But this could also be used for missions involving search & rescue.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: git repo (fgdata clone)

Postby hvengel » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:08 am

Anyone who has a gitorious account can setup a fgdata clone on gitorious and then give others update permission to that clone. Then to get changes moved into the main repository you request that your changes be merged into fgdata. One of the issues with this is that there is no way that I am aware of to sync that clone to fgdata (IE. there is no way to do a pull from origin into the clone).

In addition each user wanting to contribute to fgdata could make their own clone on gitorious and then request merges when their changes are ready.

If you would like I can setup a clone on gitorious and then grant updates rights to Marius, DFaber and you. Please PM me your gitorious IDs and I will set this up.
hvengel
Retired

Postby Philosopher » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:24 am

There's plenty of ways to sync it back up with origin/master! Probably the easiest is this one:
Code: Select all
git checkout master
git pull # update from (implicit) origin
git checkout tutorials-and-missions # topic branch linked with remote
git merge master # execute a merge, might need to fix some conflicts and execute git commit
git push # push to (implicit) team clone, and noone will shout because you rebased their commits...

Instead of checking out master, pulling, and going back to the topic branch, I think "git remote update" works pretty much the same, except the result will only be visible in ref "origin/master", instead of the "master" branch. Make sure remotes are correctly configured for git push!

Merging back into origin/master is a little bit more work if you want a clean commit, and the easiest option is to go around git because rebase -i doesn't much like merges, but it's all doable. I've kept up my own branch of FG and SG for nearly a year (up to date with my work and their work), and I could make my 20+ commits into 1 in a few minutes.

P.S. rebasing is okay (even encouraged!) when it's only your local commits, i.e. nothing that has been pushed. Having too many unecessary merges makes things too complex in the logs, but OTOH merges are good if you anticipate or run into non-trivial conflicts. Just my 2¢ on how to use Git :D
Philosopher

Postby Hooray » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:45 am

hvengel wrote in Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:08 am:Anyone who has a gitorious account can setup a fgdata clone on gitorious and then give others update permission to that clone.

lol, thanks for that - in fact, we're using exactly this method for several efforts - there's several repos and branches where I am collaborating with Philosopher for example. And then there's also the canvas team clone (which I set up). So I am aware of that option - I just wanted it to be set up by the people who have the data already. It would be kinda pointless to set up a clone without the proper people using it, and that's usually easier if they're the ones to set it up in the first place. Sorry for not clarifying earlier ...

Speaking from experience, most people have a hard time figuring out how to set up remotes etc - I had to document all this stuff for the canvas team clone, so I thought this would be a better option.

If you would like I can setup a clone on gitorious and then grant updates rights to Marius, DFaber and you. Please PM me your gitorious IDs and I will set this up.

thanks so much for the offer (really, this is a testimony to just how AWESOME our community is!), but as I said - I am already using gitorious and several repos/clones there, I just wanted it to be set up by those people who already have the proper fgdata branches (which I don't) - otherwise, I would also volunteer to handle it. Sorry for the confusion. But thanks again for being so willing to help with this !

EDIT: https://gitorious.org/fg/missions-fgdata
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Tutorials and missions