Board index FlightGear Development Tutorials and missions

Pax and cargo contracts, career and reputation ideas

Interactive in-sim tutorials and missions

Pax and cargo contracts, career and reputation ideas

Postby Johan G » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:14 pm

This topic is created from selected parts of posts from A320-family development.

I would have split the topic If the posts would not have been so "entagled" with both topics, the A320 aircraft and this general FlightGear improvement idea.

Cole wrote in Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:36 pm:[...] I feel like there are a few items that flightgear, as a whole, could develop to, honestly, be a better "sim" than other expensive "sims" out there: a save/resume function, a random baggage/passengers button you could push to have it sort it out without the artificial feeling of "choosing it yourself", and a generalized system of cargo/passengers much like "eurotrucks sim" has done for itself, where you get some random "contracts" to take stuff from point A to point B. This is not something that should be perfect, but any simple solution that would "engage" a little bit more, I think would make flightgear better than others out there. Things that are not related to graphics or some other more "budget-related" issues. But things that would allow the player to not have to play as a "god" that decides everything around him including how many passengers. A sort of a "career mode" would be a huge deal for flightgear. And I am not saying it ought to be something complex and huge, any simple system would make a big difference. [...] The level of graphics of flightgear is perfectly reasonable already, what I think now should be a priority for flightgear as a whole would be finding optimized solutions to major hotas products out there, and work on a "career" system of some simple kind, or at least randomized passenger manifests.

Not everything has to be a "graphics competition", that problem will never be solved, its always possible to spot major graphics failures, regardless what machine you have, the attention ought to be focused now on other "back office" aspects of "flying".

Cole wrote in Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:25 am:Have you ever used "euro truck simulator 2"? They have a really good working system of random contracts of cargo, something much simpler, that does not even need to have anything to do with money but would simply say "ok if you want to fly from EDDL to EDDH, at this moment, there are 110 people who want to fly there at this particular hour, from 11:00 to 12:00" for example.

In a slightly more advanced stage, passenger numbers could accumulate in the 48 hours they are dispatched and enable real "feeder" airliners to work in conjunction with jumbo jets...

Some sort of a crude algorithm that would, regardless of how realistic it would be, assign passenger quotas every hour, would be really great.

This would also mean that if 1 A320 is taking off from EDDL full with all passengers in that hour who want to go to EDDH, then if another online multiplayer "pilot" would want to take passengers also from EDDL to EDDH, he would have to wait for the next hour, because there would be no more passengers from 11:00 to 12:00... For example.

merspieler wrote in Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:48 am:Asinging random PAX/Fright is something a want to work on (adding all the paperwork ) at some point...

Bjoern wrote in Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:09 am:If you need inspiration for an aircraft-independent "haul payload, earn reputation for better contracts and money to spend on maintenance and repairs lest a part fails" add-on (mechanics and initial balancing), you can check out my magnum opus for FSX. If the reverse polish notation in the code doesn't scare you off, you can even outright port it to FG and GPL license it.

I also have a Lua-based remake for X-Plane in the works whose code should be easier to read, but it isn't complete yet as I get sidetracked way too often with recreating stuff as I learn new coding and UI styling tricks.

This is something that comes up from time to time.

This could be made to work standalone for example as an addon, or pretty much like a virtual airline with a select number of airports and a website for coordination. It would also be possible to make an addon that uses a separate server that would allow for such things as accumulation of passengers and cargo on airports, contracts/flights for airliner and charter flights, and I guess also more shady missions with fugitives, contraband and bounties for those that would find that interesting. :wink: A nice touch would be those rare cargo items, like works of art, VIPs and live animals.

For inspiration there is also these older topics with similar ideas:

Edit: Better link to the FlightGear wiki article Addon then the FGAddon/Addons/Skeleton directory
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Tutorials and missions