Board index FlightGear Release candidates 2.10

[Windows 7] Issues with display, sound, and FgRun Launcher

This is the archive of topics about the 2.10 release candidates.

[Windows 7] Issues with display, sound, and FgRun Launcher

Postby Saint19 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:32 am

Hi,

I did a bug report on this at the bug tracker:

My System:
AMD Athlon 2 x2 250 3ghz
4mb Ram
XFX Radeon 4550 1gb
Realtek Sound card
Windows 7 Home Premium

1. In 2.8 I had issues with SOME of the aircraft not displaying properly as the screen would shift into a smaller box on the bottom left of the screen. I had to use the wradar fix in the instrumentation file to get them to work.

Now in 2.10 NONE of the aircraft are displaying properly. The wradar fix worked in the C172 and the Bo105. I've not tried it with any others.

2. My framerate, and also engine sound "skips" or or has some sort of choppiness to it. The framerate seems to skip every few seconds. The engine sound skips or has some sort of feedback, choppiness to it. I don't know how to describe it. The other sounds such as the traffic sounds are working just fine.

3. It doesn't matter what FGrun file I use whatever version I had it set in the 1st page sticks. So if I'm trying to fly 2.8, I have used the 1.6.2 launch control, it wants to start with whatever settings I've setup for 2.10. I have to go back in and reset all of the directories to use 2.8. It's the same for launch control 1.7, if I have flown 2.8 earlier, then that 1.7 wants to use the directories from 2.8. I hope I'm not confusing anyone here. Is there a way to make it so that each version stays separate?

Hope this information helps.
Saint19

Re: [Windows 7] Issues with display, sound, and FgRun Launch

Postby Hooray » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:39 am

actually the wxradar workaround should no longer be needed because beginning with the 2.10 RCs there's a hard-coded ATI-VIEWPORT-HACK enabled by default, there should be a corresponding startup message shown.
Could you please check (via the property tree browser or the nasal console) the value of /sim/ati-viewport-hack and let us know what it is ?

Just asking because it would obviously be relevant to know if the hardcoded workaround doesn't work as "well" as the wxradar workaround.

Now in 2.10 NONE of the aircraft are displaying properly. The wradar fix worked in the C172 and the Bo105. I've not tried it with any others.

Could you please post screen shots (before & after) so that we can see what's going on ?

It doesn't matter what FGrun file I use whatever version I had it set in the 1st page sticks
Is there a way to make it so that each version stays separate?

that's a known issue - also previously brought up on the devel list ... it seems to be a matter of fixing the windows installer accordingly, not sure about fgrun requirements (not using it).
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Saint19 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:59 am

Hi,

I don't see the "/sim/ati-viewport-hack". I went to the Debug option of the menu and scrolled down to "browse internal properties". From there I scrolled down to "sim" and there was nothing listed regarding ati.

But basically the entire image of the sim is shifted down and to the left and is less than 1/4 the size of my actual monitor. However, after applying the wradar fix. It works fine and displays the entire screen.

Saint19

Postby Hooray » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:41 am

just to be on the safe side, could you please also post a screenshot showing the HELP/ABOUT dialog so that we can see what version/RC you are running - this is just to check if your binary even has the ATI viewport hack or not (seems it doesn't, which would explain things).
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby mr_no » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:21 pm

2. I'm having some sound issues too. Looping sound of the engine kind of flickers for a while at times. Sounds like left speaker to right exchange of volume and then interruptions.
Mosquito-XE JT-5B-autogyro Extra-300s STOL-Ch701
mr_no

Postby Saint19 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 am

That's a better description of what's happening with my sound as well. The framerate does this skipping as well.

Here is the pic you asked for:

Saint19

Postby Saint19 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:04 am

I downloaded RC2. I uninstalled RC1 and then installed RC2. I still have the same issue with the display.
Saint19

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:26 am

Could you please check in RC2 if you see the ATI hack being available and enabled (see previous instructions posted earlier)? Because if you do, while still seeing these issues, that would obviously be relevant.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Saint19 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:43 pm

I should have stated that I uninstalled EVERYTHING. 2.8, 2.10rc1, and 2.10rc2. I deleted registry stuff and the stuff in flightgear.org.

I then installed 2.10rc2. Nope. Same behavior. There was no indication of the ATI-Viewport-Hack in /sims.
Saint19

Postby jimkberry » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:12 am

I also found /sim/ati-viewport-hack not set by default in either RC1 or RC2. Setting it manually made the problem stop.

Saint19: In the launcher, select "advanced" (above the "run" button) and then "properties". Press "new" and enter "/sim/ati-viewport-hack=1".

The screen should then display full.

-jim
jimkberry

Postby Saint19 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:22 am

Thanx Jim,

That did work for the display.

My engine sounds are still doing that skipping. I looked at the sound and it only shows Generic Sound Card or Software. I do not see my sound card and don't know if it's supposed to show.
Saint19

Postby mr_no » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Ati hack works. Sound is still flickering.
Mosquito-XE JT-5B-autogyro Extra-300s STOL-Ch701
mr_no

Postby Neilson » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Sound flickering is on the Mac FG 2.10 RC2 too
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=19005

Apparently GIT FG2.11 the sound is ok.

This part in the FGUK FGR2 sounds file was coursing the problem, other aircraft i cant find any thing.
In FG 2.8 it is ok and 2.11

Code: Select all
<orientation>
   <x>90.0</x>
       <y>0.0</y>
       <z>0.0</z>
       <inner-angle>80.0</inner-angle>
      <outer-angle>110.0</outer-angle>
      <outer-gain>0.5</outer-gain>
   </orientation>

Neilson

Callsign: Neilson
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Saint19 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:52 am

I looked for the entries above in the sound files for the aircraft I've flown. However, I did not find them. So I put them in...to no avail. The sound was still choppy.
Saint19

Return to 2.10