Board index FlightGear Release candidates 2.10

fgfs.exe has stopped working

This is the archive of topics about the 2.10 release candidates.

fgfs.exe has stopped working

Postby shadowofdeath1994 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Hello
I just downloaded flightgear 2.10 for my Win 8 platform but every time I launch, it shows fgfs.exe has stopped working
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
32 bit OS, x64 based processor
4GB RAM
Please Help :)
Last edited by Gijs on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: More descriptive title
shadowofdeath1994

Re: fgfs.exe has stopped working

Postby Hooray » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi & welcome to the FlightGear community, thanks for providing feedback

Do you know what sort of graphics card you got, and what about your startup settings ?

Here are some other questions that would help us:

Have you previously run other versions of FlightGear on the same computer ?
    Have you recently modified your system (software/OS/hardware) ?
    What version of FlightGear are you using (please only report bugs after checking the latest release first!) ?
    What graphics card (GPU) are you using ?
    Is the problem specific to FlightGear, i.e. are you able to run other OpenGL-based software (simulators/games) without seeing this ?
    How about other osgviewer-based software such as fgviewer ?
    If this happens with other OpenGL software (simulators/games): What graphics drivers are you using, and have you considered updating or downgrading drivers ?
    Did you modify any of the startup settings, or is this with the FG defaults (try the defaults first!) ?
    Are there any messages shown in the console (warnings/errors)?
    What is your shader detail level ?
    Could you please check if reducing/disabling features in the rendering settings dialog has an effect here ?
    Do all rendering artifacts go away once you disable textures (wireframe mode) ?

Please see the following links to learn more about the type of information that you need to provide in order to enable us to help you further:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Debugg ... ar_Crashes
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Requesting_Technical_Help
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Troubl ... _Artifacts
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Troubleshooting_Problems
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby shadowofdeath1994 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:45 pm

I upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 8 pro last month
All the versions used to work just fine on my Vista, on the same machine.
None of them work on Win 8
shadowofdeath1994

Postby Hooray » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:58 pm

First of all we need to check if this issue is FG specific or if other applications are also affected:

Again:
Are you able to run other OpenGL-based software (simulators/games) ?

So far, I would *guess* that your OpenGL support may not be working properly, you should first of all check if that's the case by running other OpenGL software, such as FurMark3D or other OpenGL benchmarks - there's tons of free OpenGL test/benchmarking software available for windows.

Also, please look again at the questions and links I posted, so that you can provide the required information to enable us to help you.
Nobody here is going to repeat previously asked questions until you answer them :D Keep in mind that there are lots of other users who need help, and obviously it's more enjoyable and gratifying for us once people actually follow up on the questions and requests made.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby shadowofdeath1994 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Have you previously run other versions of FlightGear on the same computer ? Yes, previously on Winn Vista
Have you recently modified your system (software/OS/hardware) ? Last month
What version of FlightGear are you using (please only report bugs after checking the latest release first!) ? ver 2.10 RC
What graphics card (GPU) are you using ? ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series
Is the problem specific to FlightGear, i.e. are you able to run other OpenGL-based software (simulators/games) without seeing this ? Everything else is compatible with this version of Windows
How about other osgviewer-based software such as fgviewer ? Works fine
If this happens with other OpenGL software (simulators/games): What graphics drivers are you using, and have you considered updating or downgrading drivers ? Works fine with other S/W
Did you modify any of the startup settings, or is this with the FG defaults (try the defaults first!) ? Tried defaults, didn't help. Then tried compatibility settings, chose my last OS on which fg worked fine, didn't help either
Are there any messages shown in the console (warnings/errors)? None, just shows fgfs.exe has stopped working
Could you please check if reducing/disabling features in the rendering settings dialog has an effect here ?No effect
Do all rendering artifacts go away once you disable textures (wireframe mode) ?Yup
shadowofdeath1994

Postby Hooray » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Thanks for taking the time for trying to answer my questions, but either I misunderstand, or your answers are totally inconsistent ... I mean, are you able to start/use FG or not ? What about the crash, when does it happen ? Or rather, why do you claim now that certain features have an effect, even though you may not even use them (wireframe etc) ?

Maybe you could post some screen shots first ?

Also, have you actually TRIED to run another piece of OpenGL software to verify that your OpenGL installation works okay ?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to 2.10