Board index FlightGear Release candidates 2.10

Mac 2.10 RC Atmospheric light scattering bug

This is the archive of topics about the 2.10 release candidates.

Re: Mac 2.10 RC Atmospheric light scattering bug

Postby zakalawe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:17 pm

I think I've got an idea about the numkey pad issue, but, it's a bit horrible. There's no actual bug on Mac - the bug is that we don't store key-bindings referenced by any kind of scan or ID code. OS-X is sending a special 'keypad' code, but FlightGear apparently just wants a plain digit. Really I should replace the whole damn system so we can have proper keybindings everywhere.

But, for 2.10, I can probably tell the Mac to just pretend the keypad is sending normal number keys.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby someguy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 am

Thanks to Neilson, I've got AA working again. The visuals get better every release. Sometimes the views are simply breathtaking. Small bugs aside, this RC seems better behaved than 2.8, with less crashing on quitting and less disk thrashing. If only there weren't so much lag every time another user spawns in mp. I've deleted all the airliner models, which helped, but didn't solve the issue completely.
someguy

Version: 2016.2.1

Postby zakalawe » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:08 am

New RC is currently building, MSAA should work from the GUI, as should Preview and the num-keypad. Preview will be strange for some models (including the c172p, alas) while I decide how risky it is to merge a bug-fix to the release branch.
zakalawe

Postby Neilson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:04 pm

atmospheric light scattering bug.

I found by each town the building textures nere by, each town land class had all the buildings in one spot.

did not know if this would help.

The buildings nere the land class for it.

The pupal and orange bit in the water, is the buildings, each town here has a set each.

One thing is the DDS scenery active in this release candidate? If so thats makes all the ground black and grey, i know in the FGX luncher the DDS scenery texture works.
Neilson

Callsign: Neilson
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Thorsten » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:34 pm

Is this a new RC or same RC /same bug as discussed in the first post?
Thorsten

Postby Neilson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 pm

This was the first one,same bug as discussed in the first post.

Just looked the next one is there, ill get that and have a look.
Neilson

Postby someguy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Alrighty, then. I grabbed RC2, and the conflict between atmospheric scattering and random buildings is resolved. Anti-aliasing responds properly to its Launcher setting. The numerical keypad is recognized by the chat window. Nice work, and done quickly. Thanks!

The conflict between scattering and the maximized landmass shader still exists, with flicking, pixilated smudges on paved runways, taxiways, and aprons. I have not yet visited grass or dirt runways in 2.10. The runway shader is very pretty, so I'm prepared to ignore a few smudges. :)

Not a new item, but if I set the transition shader past one notch up, the grass around runways turns black. I presume that's a video card issue. I have no idea what I might be missing from the higher settings.

Still no copy/paste. But I'm delighted with the progress of FG visuals on Macintosh. I have most options enabled at high levels, with big LOD settings, and I get 30 fps if no other aircraft are around and it's not overcast. Try a late afternoon METAR flight out of CYPS with winter scenery. Gorgeous!
someguy

Postby Neilson » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:14 am

same as above for me with the fixes

Anti-aliasing slider works

atmospheric scattering and random buildings seems fixed

I have not seen the smuge marks yet ill see if i can find some
Neilson

Postby zakalawe » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:42 am

someguy wrote in Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 pm:still no copy-paste

Confused here - your comments suggest it worked before? But if so I've no idea how. We don't add new features during the bug-fixing cycle, and no one had ever requested this feature to me until this thread. I can look at adding it to 2.11, and back port to make a 2.10.1 for Mac, but I'd like to understand the history first.
zakalawe

Postby Thorsten » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:55 am

The conflict between scattering and the maximized landmass shader still exists, with flicking, pixilated smudges on paved runways, taxiways, and aprons. I have not yet visited grass or dirt runways in 2.10. The runway shader is very pretty, so I'm prepared to ignore a few smudges.

Well, we didn't do anything on that one, because without being able to reproduce it and without any error messages it's damn near impossible to find.

Not a new item, but if I set the transition shader past one notch up, the grass around runways turns black. I presume that's a video card issue. I have no idea what I might be missing from the higher settings.

That probably switches on the RealGrass(TM) shader (I don't recall the assignment off-hand). Hate to repeat myself, but... any errors in the console?
Thorsten

Postby someguy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:05 pm

Thorsten, I clicked the View Log button in the Launcher, but there were no errors. Is there something else I can try to help you?
someguy

Postby Neilson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:01 am

Been trying to replicate the smudge thing,

I dont see any at all on RC1 and RC2

The conflict between scattering and the maximized landmass shader still exists, with flicking, pixilated smudges on paved runways, taxiways, and aprons.

Some times at high altitude 26000ft and up the water has a strange flicker in it

Water slider all the way up, as Atmospheric light scattering needs this to have nice looking water,
Atmospheric light scattering on,

same for normal weather and advance

It flickers quite a bit, could not repeat it with Atmospheric light scattering off.
Neilson

Postby Neilson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:21 am

Atmospheric light scattering on

Atmospheric light scattering off, no flickering.

The sun is behind my back, as the sun move's so do the bits of flickering. Like i am a pivert for it.
Neilson

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:09 am

we should add a menu item to dump the current position and all rendering/environment settings to an XML file, so that we can more easily reproduce such things, just by loading a config from a file.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby someguy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:39 am

That's a super idea! It wouldn't surprise me if some of these glitches are peculiar to specific hardware configurations, either, so perhaps that might be part of the report as well. I'll paste XML into forum posts all day if it helps the devs fix bugs.
someguy

PreviousNext

Return to 2.10