Board index FlightGear Support Tools OpenRadar

Overlay airport

OpenRadar is a standalone radar screen which connects to the FlightGear multiplayer servers. It is currently being developed.

Overlay airport

Postby tony » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 pm

Good evening
can someone help me remove 4NY2 airport that overlaps with KLGA?
Thanks
ATCPower - LFPG EDDM LKPR LSGS KBWI LFPO
My soul is in the sky
tony

Callsign: AZ318

Re: Overlay airport

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:23 pm

can you be more specific? perhaps a screenshot?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby tony » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:10 am

My soul is in the sky
tony

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:30 pm

it isn't 4NY2... 4NY2 appears to be a seaplane airport near KLGA...

i'm not sure which airport that is with that runway layout... whatever it is, it looks to certainly be out of place... maybe LONG/LAT are reversed or positive when they should be negative?

i haven't looked at OR in a while so i don't recall how to put airports in overlay... maybe something in the OR data directory? what do you show in there?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Gijs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:39 pm

It is definitely 4NY2. And apparently it's been like that in the database for a very long time and you're not the only one wanting to get rid of it: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... fictional/

I don't know where OpenRadar gets its data from, but it may be as simple as removing the respecting lines from its apt.dat file. Maybe one of the OpenRadar users knows. It looks like the base is closed in real life anyway nowadays...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby tony » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:55 pm

Into file AirportIndex.txt (OpenRadar/data) i have found this line:

4NY2|-73.866246|40.783434

if I delete this line do you think it can solve the problem?
My soul is in the sky
tony

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:13 pm

Gijs wrote in Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:39 pm:It is definitely 4NY2.

oh really?? that's interesting... it doesn't appear like that in my FG and when i went to it, it put me over on the edge of water... when i looked it up in FG's in-sim select airport, there was no runway layout... in fact, it came up as "[S] EDO" IIRC beside it which is why i said it appeared to be a seaplane airport...

Gijs wrote in Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:39 pm:And apparently it's been like that in the database for a very long time and you're not the only one wanting to get rid of it: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... fictional/

very interesting...

Gijs wrote in Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:39 pm:I don't know where OpenRadar gets its data from, but it may be as simple as removing the respecting lines from its apt.dat file. Maybe one of the OpenRadar users knows. It looks like the base is closed in real life anyway nowadays...

there are data/airports.zip and data/AptNav.zip files in the openradar install directory... looks like it might require editing the apt.dat inside AptNav.zip to remove it... plus maybe also removing it from the data/AirportIndex.txt file as well as maybe also the index.txt inside airports.zip... maybe...

i note that the airports structure inside Airports.zip has no airports that start with numbers and also no three-letter ones... it even includes .zvn directories which indicates how old it is... besides the fact that most of those are also dated 2009, 2010 and i thin i saw one or two from 2013...
Last edited by wkitty42 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:15 pm

tony wrote in Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:55 pm:Into file AirportIndex.txt (OpenRadar/data) i have found this line:

4NY2|-73.866246|40.783434

if I delete this line do you think it can solve the problem?

that's one of the ones i just spoke of... you might also have to remove the whole section for it from the apt.dat inside the mentioned zip file... i don't know if openradar opens the zip files to get to the data or not... i suspect it does since it draws out the runways...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Gijs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:23 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:13 pm:oh really?? that's interesting... it doesn't appear like that in my FG and when i went to it, it put me over on the edge of water... when i looked it up in FG's in-sim select airport, there was no runway layout... in fact, it came up as "[S] EDO" IIRC beside it which is why i said it appeared to be a seaplane airport...

All correct, but seaplane airports also have "runways", even tough they are not physically there in the scenery ;-) The airport layout is what you're seeing on OpenRadar (which apparently doesn't distinguish between different types of runway, and maybe rightly so). It could be that the in-sim dialog does actually hide water runways.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby jomo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:21 am

Well - in cases like those I usually try to look it up in mpmap-Reality-Photos and blow it up till I see each Airplane, parking truck etc. See e.g.
http://mpmap02.flightgear.org/v3/?ll=50.033305556,8.570455556&t=m&z=6&pilot_label=mouseover&menuminimized
Zoom in and out and make sure you have "Satellite" view activated. Then you see both APs and see that it is correct: What you see then is not worth than any airport with parallel runways.

So you better do not delete either one - because other FGFSpilots want to use either one - and a Water-plane may have problems to land on asphalt - and you cannot hinder anyone landing at that other airport (and better you see what is going on outside your control!) ! So better you see that there are 2 possibilities for Landing! Or would you try to hinder a Multimillionaire landing there! But YOU must (at least) try to coordinate landings/starting on your AP and take care of what is happening on the other.
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Return to OpenRadar