Board index FlightGear Support Tools OpenRadar

How to edit a ground net ?

OpenRadar is a standalone radar screen which connects to the FlightGear multiplayer servers. It is currently being developed.

How to edit a ground net ?

Postby xxx-246 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:30 am

Hello,

currently I want to edit the ground net of an airport (EDDL - Düsseldorf) to add taxiways and proper labeling.
I started to edit the route file at data/routes/EDDL/EDDL.xml and added point lines, curves and texts.

Edit: It's finished now:

But I guess this is not the correct way of adding taxi ways or ?
And how do I add parking positions labels, that could be switched off via the map -> PPN: Parking/Gate names option in OpenRadar ?

Maybe a dev can push me in the right direction. I can't find any wiki pages showing how to edit this data properly (except for adding routes).
Edit:
If the way I'm doing it right now is the "correct" or the only currently working one, who should I send the xml file to add it in the release routes/EDDL/EDDL-ground.xml directory ?

The park gate name disable is now solved with the maxZoom setting. So this zoom setting is the roughest, that can see the park labels.

Edit:
I'll fork the repository at sourceforge, add this EDDL.ground.xml and do a merge request.
I don't know where to put it. The directory routes actually isn't located in the sourceforce repo.
Please tell me, who might need to get the file.

The file can be downloaded here (rightclick - save as):
https://flightgear-246.de/downloads/EDDL.ground.xml

Regards
Chris
xxx-246

Re: How to edit a ground net ?

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:31 pm

what program did you edit that with?? WED or something else?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby mickybadia » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:34 am

I think the XML format shown is only for drawing in O-R, and if so you will not get the PKG pos's hooked up to the menus.
FYI the taxiway network and parking positions are already included in the current EDDL apt.dat on the X-plane gateway. I checked it and they seemed rather complete.
mickybadia

Postby xxx-246 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:35 am

what program did you edit that with?

I fetched the points for the curves etc. from google maps and edited the xml file with a text editor (with F12 you can get OR to copy the current cursor pos to the clipboard).
Then I reloaded the xml file with Shift+F12 I think and checked if the entered data fits. Don't now if there is an editor, which creates data OR can read.

I think the XML format shown is only for drawing in O-R, and if so you will not get the PKG pos's hooked up to the menus.

I think so, too.

FYI the taxiway network and parking positions are already included in the current EDDL apt.dat on the X-plane gateway. I checked it and they seemed rather complete.

How do you open the dat files, to see what is inside ? And where is the OR dat file located that I can push updates to the official OpenRadar repository ?
In the current OR release the data for EDDL aren't included.

Regards
xxx-246

Postby mickybadia » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:38 pm

xxx-246 wrote in Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:35 am:How do you open the dat files, to see what is inside ?

The apt.dat files are text files whose every line is prefixed with a "row code". Any text editor should do to open and edit. Ground network codes are 1200--1206 and parking positions 1300.

xxx-246 wrote in Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:35 am:And where is the OR dat file located that I can push updates to the official OpenRadar repository ?
In the current OR release the data for EDDL aren't included.

I do not think OpenRadar can make use of them directly, but I would have tried to source from the (in principle reviewed) data to generate the XML instead of F12-pasting every point manually. Such things easily get complicated though, I was just saying. Too late now I suppose.
In any case X-plane has its own update process, and you should not at this point expect O-R or FG to update automatically.

For the record here is what EDDL ground looks like when sourced from the currently recommended file on the gateway. A couple of TWYs are missing compared to yours, but you could contribute your additions. ;-)
mickybadia

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:57 pm

argh!! i just realized i was in the open radar sub-forum... i thought the question was about editing FG's ground nets and such... sorry for the noise...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to OpenRadar