Board index FlightGear Support Tools OpenRadar

Possible bug/annoyance

OpenRadar is a standalone radar screen which connects to the FlightGear multiplayer servers. It is currently being developed.

Possible bug/annoyance

Postby morlanius » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the updates, the latest one is really useful. One problem I've been having for a while (about 2 updates) is this:

Assign someone a runway and a route on the ground, when they start moving the assigned runway clears so the route isn't displayed. I normally have to wait until they are at some altitude before reselecting the runway so their route is displayed.

This only happens to contacts moving on the ground, if I assign a runway to an airborne contact there is no problem, until the moment they are on the ground then it will sometimes clear the runway, sometimes not.

Thanks, OR is my preferred tool of choice, great work.

Morlan/ATCJay
morlanius

Re: Possible bug/annoyance

Postby wagnerw » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi, thanks for your report.
Do you use the current or the next version of OR?
Which airport do you use? Are all the taxiways and runways on the same level?
Wolfram
wagnerw

Callsign: D-W794

Postby morlanius » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:33 pm

I think its the latest version, I have the new strip sections. But the issue has been around for a while. I normally am at EGSS and yes I believe they are all at the same level.
morlanius

Postby wagnerw » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi,
I know one spot, maybe there is another one. Departing aircrafts, with groundspeed > 60 NMPH get their departure runway cleared. We assume, that aircrafts on ground go slower than that until they actually start.

But maybe there is another issue. Does this happen for aircraft that you "officially control"? Are there other OpenRadar or ATCPie instances around? If it is not a local issue it may come in from other instances...
I tried today and found nothing yet... Please try to find pattern / more information about it! Thank you!
Wolfram
wagnerw

Postby jomo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:49 am

wagnerw wrote in Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:31 pm:Hi,
I know one spot, maybe there is another one. Departing aircrafts, with groundspeed > 60 NMPH get their departure runway cleared. We assume, that aircrafts on ground go slower than that until they actually start

That explains one of my "dislikes" with the Flight-plans!
Right now assigning a SID displays directly that SID on OR - and the best is:
* only that SID is shown if "STAR/SID" (in line at bottom) and "Start,SID" at Runway-Assignment are both disabled
* That disappears as soon the the RW is reset (because the SID depends on runway!)
* You then must enable those two Options to see the SID within all the SIDs belonging to that runway! - and that means on big airports it is getting very very crowded - hardly to control!

i.e. I usually do not activate the "Start,SID" (at runway setting) - thus just the SID of the active plane is displayed - thus I can estimate very easy what his route is and if there is crossing traffic. That is wonderful (as long as the plane is on GND (or slow)) - afterwards that becomes very difficult!

Why do you reset the runway? I cannot think of any need for that!
If there is a need for that because in FP there is only 1 runway-field (for Arrival+Departure) than we should use 2! But I do not see a need for that: As it is, it is very easy to reassign the wanted runway for departure/arrival! (An ATC that is confused about the "still" indicated departure runway - can always reassign with a single mouse-click.

Please erase that reset of the runway!
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby wagnerw » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am

Thanks Jomo for making this clear for me. You are completely right. This dependency is not right.

I think the logic should be like this:
In the FP you should see all Routes for the active Runways. Otherwise (all routes available for selection) you will never find the one you are looking for in the list. If you select a route, it should stay selected as long as it is available in the list of active routes (for the active runways).
If no runway is active, show all routes

I think, automatic runway deselection should stay active to help you in your work. BUT the route must stay selected and must be highlighted when you select the contact, regardless if you check the STAR/SID checkbox.

I will check what causes the route deselection.
wagnerw

Postby jomo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:06 am

Thx Wolfgang for checking into that.
Till now that was not a severe problem (for me) because SIDs are used very seldom. But when you are revisiting that design pls consider my little demo on a big airport:
http://www.emmerich-j.de/EDDF/Films/SID_Prob.ogv.
Consider that there are runways not in parallel - i.e. needing different SIDs at the same time! And there are many of them!

Here my wish in summary:
1) Whenever a SID is assigned to a Target - that SID is always shown highlighted when that target is selected -- independent of any other settings! Because if I am interested in a target I am also interested in his foreseeable route and possible traffic-conflicts - may it still be on GND or already flying! Without that I can never foresee where that target will go and if there may be conflicting traffic! Note the difference: If I just assign hdg's etc. I can foresee where he is going - on a SID he will change directions unexpectedly (if I do not see the SID!)

2) All the SIDs I need only if I want to suggest a route to a pilot asking me for help! And it is fine that with the button "START,SID" (at runway selection) I can reduce the amount of infos by displaying only all the SIDs for the unique runway or all of them!

I am definitely against always having to see all SIDs when I just am interested in the future movement of my selected target!

Anther possibility would be to always display ALL SIDs actually assigned to a target! But right now the usage of SIDs is that rare that may even cause problems e.g. due to not cancelled assignments when someone returns to the airport - if he leaves the area there would not be a problem - because another ATC would not see the SID - and the ATC that assigned that SID should reset anyhow with new (landing) runway etc.

How about that?
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Re: Possible bug/annoyance => OR Updated

Postby wagnerw » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:14 pm

I have changed this, if a contact is selected and it has a route assigned this route will be displayed. The only condition now is that if there is a zoom level constraint, the route will not be displayed if you are outside the range. So if you are too close to the ground, or completely zoomed out, it may not be visible, if you have defined this in the route definitions.

The zips are updated. For those, who know what that means, I have provided a JAR. Please replace your existing JAR with the new one.

Latest:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openra ... 20release/
New/Next release
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openra ... 20release/
wagnerw

Return to OpenRadar