Board index FlightGear Support Tools OpenRadar

OpenRadar releases updated

OpenRadar is a standalone radar screen which connects to the FlightGear multiplayer servers. It is currently being developed.

OpenRadar releases updated

Postby wagnerw » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:44 am

Hi everybody,

I just updated the files on our download server. There have been minor changes:

- The METAR download URLs have been changed to the working servers as described in this forum.
- The FGCOM binaries has been updated to the latest version.
- A small detail in multiplayer communication protocol has been changed as work around for a bug in FGFS. The FGFS bug has been fixed in the source code. So it might be not that problematic anymore.
This issue caused, that latest FGFS instances crashed as soon as they came into MP range of a OpenRadar or ATCPie instance.

The Airport Download Server (Error 500) is still down, but I contacted the admin and he will fix it soon.

So if you have updated the METAR URLs yourself, I see no reason to update...

The current version: https://sourceforge.net/projects/openra ... 20release/
The next version: https://sourceforge.net/projects/openra ... 20release/

Have a nice flight!
Wolfram
wagnerw

Callsign: D-W794

Re: OpenRadar releases updated

Postby Johan G » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:43 pm

wagnerw wrote in Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:44 am:- A small detail in multiplayer communication protocol has been changed as work around for a bug in FGFS. The FGFS bug has been fixed in the source code. So it might be not that problematic anymore.
This issue caused, that latest FGFS instances crashed as soon as they came into MP range of a OpenRadar or ATCPie instance.

Ouch. Déjà vu.

I am happy it has been fixed and that there is a workaround in the mean time. What was triggering the bug this time?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wagnerw » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:23 am

This issue was discovered by Guy, and finally he also confirmed that my theory about is was true. Thanks Guy!!!

My workaround was to fill a value in the multiplayer protocol that I did not know with something different from zero. This value tells other FGFS instances how often you send updates about your position. So they can interpolate your position and orientation in space a lot better.
I did not know what it was for and as OpenRadar does not change its position / orientation I sent out a zero... for years without problems...

Here is the explanation by the FGFS developer who fixed it on their side. It seems as my workaround did not help in all cases, but anyway, this was seemingly a new bug on the other side.

----- Forwarded message from Erik Hofman <ehofman@users.sf.net> -----

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 22:19:42 +0000

I think I finally figured this one out. The problem wass initializing an
SGVec[234] class with a vlaue of 0. So changing dt fixed this for this
particular case but not for all. The fix is in git now (and did not
affect previous stable versions of FlightGear).

<https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/1927/>

As long as we are able to find and fix issues that fast, I am happy. Thanks to everybody involved!
wagnerw

Callsign: D-W794

Postby Johan G » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:46 pm

Interesting problem and workaround. Thank you for the info. :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to OpenRadar