Board index FlightGear Support Tools OpenRadar

FlightStrip Bay Design

OpenRadar is a standalone radar screen which connects to the FlightGear multiplayer servers. It is currently being developed.

FlightStrip Bay Design

Postby a-v-o » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:37 am

Using OpenRadar for some months I realized that I tried to order the flightstrips in approaching, departing and pattern flights. But there were ATCs "flightstrips" between the aircraft flightstrips. I also used them as separation markers. Then I searched the Internet how a flightstrip bay would look like in real life. And I found images that showed section markers between the flightstrips, e.g. altitudes. So I tried to get them into OR.

In the image you can see the current flightstrip bay on the right below the runways panel. In the box below the current flightstrip bay is a new flightstrip bay with section separators. I combined it with the column design in a variable way. You can have only 1 column (see ATC section at the bottom) or 2, 3, 4, ... columns. a section with its flightstrips can be dragged up or down with the mouse to rearrange the order of the sections.

I've implemented a rule system in which can be defined into which section and column a flightstrip should go, so flightstrips can move "magically" from one section/column to another. For a rule almost any of the contact's or its flightplan's information can be used. A flightstrip can be moved by mouse to another column or within a section up or down.

I've also redesigned the flightstrips to be able to enter assigned flight parameters like assigned altitude and heading. This also creates the corresponding text message in the chat input field.
This image shows a slightly different configuration of the sections and a filled 3rd row with ICAO of departure airport, assigned runway, assigned route, assigned flightlevel 3 waypoints, ICAO of destination airport and direction to destination airport. There can be a 4th row with an edit field for public comments and a 5th row with an edit field for private notes. I think filling in flightstrips this way is more like real flightstrips are used.

if anyone wants to try it: http://freie-ressourcen.de/openradar

Please give me feedback, suggestions, ...

My own plan is to implement
... user defined colors for contacts in the radar screen, which can be defined separately for each column in each section.
... user defined actions like un/control, send message, ...
a-v-o

Re: FlightStrip Bay Design

Postby daweed » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:27 am

Hello,

How do u define color for sea and land ?
I will have a try on saturday evening (hosting session on LFLL)
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby daweed » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:41 am

Hello,

Having a quick test this morning, some of my drawing seems to be not display anymore :

With the orginial version :

With your version :

Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby a-v-o » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:23 pm

OK, I forgot the colors, which I changed for testing the layers of the radar screen. Now there is a version uploaded with the original colors.

But the missing drawing doesn't seem to be a problem with the colors, because the lines are white which should be even better visible on the much darker background. You should start the program in/with a console window and see if there are Exceptions. This version is based on the version of the repository at sourceforge (2015-05-10).

Anyway, this version is just to have a look at and test the flightstrip bay.
a-v-o

Postby Michat » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:16 am

Very interesting colours.

I share here my Atc Palette, maybe less interesting, but is a combination also for ground data, so is more complex to apply. Anyway I like that the one you choose, especially in one of the two monitor that I use, the color match the combination, resulting magic. In the other screen the combination is so bad that I can believe it.

Michat

Version: 191b

Return to OpenRadar