Board index FlightGear Support Tools OpenRadar

List of available cmd props?

OpenRadar is a standalone radar screen which connects to the FlightGear multiplayer servers. It is currently being developed.

List of available cmd props?

Postby jsb » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:45 pm

Hi
I could not find a list/description of the valid properties that could be used in cmd-props.txt.

I found /openradar/activeLandingRW and wonder if there is a /openradar/activeStartingRW?
Or even better a property to access the assigned RW for a contact?
jsb

Callsign: D-JSB
Version: next

Re: List of available cmd props?

Postby wagnerw » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Edited... I misunderstood sorry:

The properties are in this file:
http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/ope ... ssage.java

You are right, this key is missing. Adding it is not a big issue. Are there more to add?
wagnerw

Callsign: D-W794

Postby jsb » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:28 pm

Thanks for the link :)
Let me think about it...
I really prefer to offer ATC via voice as it is much quicker than typing. Anyhow, I think you did a gread job by adding thist .xy macro thing with variables. Last busy time I just felt like take off, approach and land could just use the assigned RW of the contact automatically.
That brings another thought into my mind: how could OR assist the ATC in case he/she does not assign a RW to contact?
a) display a warning when select "control" and close dialog without assigning RW.
b) auto assign
- active dep. RW for contacts on ground on controlled airport
- active landing RW for contacts with altitude >> airport level
Where is the "assigned RW" currently used?

greatings from Hamburg
jsb

Callsign: D-JSB
Version: next

Postby wagnerw » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:53 am

The assigned runway is being displayed in the data tag beside the aircraft marker on radar screen. And it can be used in the chat alias messages as <assigned-runway> (see http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/ope ... .java#l155) but as much as I know, this feature is not active. Additional, this information is transferred to all other ATCs in range of the contact for information purposes. This can be useful, if two ATCs work at the same airport.

I understand your post, that you use the contact flightplan dialog to take over control. I think you know, that you can simply pull your contacts flightstrip from right or middle column to left column. (Handover is done by dragging the flightstrip onto the radar map, by the way...)
If I imagine your way to do it, I see myself having potential problems keeping the overview, because the dialog is hiding the radar map...

Assigning a runway can be done via the flighplan dialog, the alias messages and via double click on a runway. We discusses automatic assignment, but at the end I did not implement it. Our reasons have been:
=> We want it to be a conscious decision of the ATC
=> There is often more than one runway active
=> We cannot identify the aircrafts that are incomming, if they have no flightplan filed or until they call in. In many cases, aircraft will want to pass by.

We discussed more sophisticated logic, but in flightgear ATCs real live, it creates more complexity, it is hard to behave correct in all cases and it takes away some of the fun of being an ATC.

This does not mean, that the current features cannot be improved. The assigned runway feature came in, as a nice to have feature, mainly to remember the assigned runway over time. I made it more useful as I added the easy assignment by double click and the assignment as side effect of some chat alias.
IMHO, the ATC should always tell the pilot about the assignment. I wonder in which phase of the approach the pilot cares about final runway. I guess, that he will get a STAR assigned first, in some cases together with the runway to expect, but I guess if there are multiple possible runways, and there is a lot of traffic, the runway assignment will be done a bit later, when it is clear, how everything will be handled...
I might be wrong.
Anyway, I will care about, what you need in OpenRadar, but it must be valid for all (most) users, airports and situations. I don't want to develop OpenRadar into a niche. And a new user shall be able to use it after less hours of training. It shall not become too complex...

For now,I keep your thought about the warning in case of an unassigned runway in my mind. I would propose the following features:
    * Main switch to disable it
    * Visible but not disturbing in busy situations (no warning dialog popping up => to be be defined)
    * Landing: (Aircraft close to the airport (<10NM), between (>) airport alt and transition altitude) OR (contact has a flightplan and it so it is known, that it will land here and he is close to the airport <10NM?)
    * Starting: Aircraft is nearby (<5NM), close to airport altitude and it is too slow to fly
My main question here is, how the highlighting of the missing runway assignment should be done.

PS: I have added the proposed key for activeStartingRunways to my OpenRadar code yesterday, but it is not published yet.
wagnerw

Postby simbambim » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:32 am

Hi,
I’d like to know the properties for <assigned-runway>, <destination>, <squawk>, <cruise-altitude> and <route>. I don't find them in the file you linked to.
Also, the dot commands sometimes (more often than not) go through without changing into the text. Why is that?
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Version: 3.2

Postby wagnerw » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:21 pm

In general, I have nothing against it. But my thoughts:
<assigned-runway>, <destination>, <squawk>, <cruise-altitude> are a problem, if a user does not maintain the flight plan properly. What shall I do, if the fields are empty?
<route> can be longer. If the message exceeds the maximum transmittable length, it will be cut into separate lines.

Can you give me examples for dot commands that fail to be replaced please? Maybe there is a matching error in the log file too?
wagnerw

Postby simbambim » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:49 pm

wagnerw wrote in Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:21 pm:<assigned-runway>, <destination>, <squawk>, <cruise-altitude> are a problem, if a user does not maintain the flight plan properly.

By 'user' do you mean the ATC? Sorry, I'm not a programmer, so I don't understand vwhat the problem is. I'm just trying to customize the chat messages.

wagnerw wrote in Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:21 pm:What shall I do, if the fields are empty?

Leave an empty space?

wagnerw wrote in Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:21 pm:<route> can be longer. If the message exceeds the maximum transmittable length, it will be cut into separate lines.

<route> is described as the code of the assigned SID/STAR. So that would be like 7 characters maximum.

wagnerw wrote in Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:21 pm:Can you give me examples for dot commands that fail to be replaced please?

I'll try this again. They usually go through unchanged the first time, then on the second try they work.
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Version: 3.2

Postby wagnerw » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:58 pm

By 'user' do you mean the ATC? Sorry, I'm not a programmer, so I don't understand vwhat the problem is. I'm just trying to customize the chat messages.

Yes, I mean the ATC, the OpenRadar user. Currently, it is possible to not-maintain the flightplans. And these fields are optional. I can follow your proposal and leave them empty/return an empty space.

<route> is described as the code of the assigned SID/STAR. So that would be like 7 characters maximum.

I thought, you mean the waypoint fields. Got it...

Thanks for your input!
wagnerw

Return to OpenRadar