Board index FlightGear Support Tools OpenRadar

Open Radar for Android?

OpenRadar is a standalone radar screen which connects to the FlightGear multiplayer servers. It is currently being developed.

Open Radar for Android?

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:09 pm

As far as I can gather android apps are written in java. Would it be possible to make OR into an app for android?

Also, what about Route-Editing mode or something where with a swipe of the finger or mouse you could make routes instead of the xml editing which is boring and takes a long time?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Re: Open Radar for Android?

Postby wagnerw » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:49 am

Some reasons in loose order:
    * I don't have Android. Have you tried to run it? I guess it has to be packaged somehow.
    * There will be restrictions by Android to secure the devices running it. I am not sure, if we are allowed to communicate with all the servers, as we do now,
    * Java's runtime behavior depends sometimes on its vendor. It depends on the chosen look an feel and on the input devices that are being used. Java is not Java.
    * We use some OS depending features like FGCOM (available for Win, Linux and Mac)
    * It is not optimized for fingering :-) but it may work, at least partially
To the route.xml:
I have tried to build an automatic converter from FGFS autopilot / route manager XML to the current XML but failed in first attempt, because the source XML defines the waypoints only. The airplane will move differently: Depending on speed it flies curves and intercepts headings.
There are still efforts to simplify the maintenance of the XML files, also to support other formats. This is much better than an editor, which is another application by itself. In fact, the routes do change too often, to do this by hand.
For small and middle size airports it is quite a effort but do-able. But we also have very complex setups, for example EDDF and even more complex, like the airports of Paris.

This is an OpenSource project, that means, you can read the code, and you can bring in new features, like the editor. If you should not be a programmer, you still may try to get OR running in Android and check, if it is possible to run it there / what needs to be changed, to use it there...

Help is always appreciated!

Wolfram
wagnerw

Callsign: D-W794

Return to OpenRadar