Board index FlightGear Support Tools OpenRadar

Poll: Do you use 2 Monitors?

OpenRadar is a standalone radar screen which connects to the FlightGear multiplayer servers. It is currently being developed.

When you use OpenRadar, do you have more than one monitor attached to your computer?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:35 pm

Sorry, I have only one monitor and don't want / have no possibility to change this.
27%
Yes, I have two monitors, or would attach a second one to my computer for this purpose...
73%

Total votes : 11

Poll: Do you use 2 Monitors?

Postby wagnerw » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Dear users,

I want to know, how many of you have two or more monitors. When I use OpenRadar, I miss the tower window to see what is going on in "real live".

Jomo for instance uses flightgear to visualize his view onto the airport. (see his videos here: http://www.emmerich-j.de/EDDF/Films/Films.html)

I am asking myself, if a link between OpenRadar and FGFS for this purpose is something of value for you. OpenRadar could remote control FGFS to let you see your airport. Several preset views from different locations and tracking a landing / starting contact would also be possible.
Really useful it would be, if you would have two monitors attached to your computer, one for OR, one as the window to the world.

So please answer my poll! Comments are welcome too. Thank you!

Wolfram
wagnerw

Callsign: D-W794

Re: Poll: Do you use 2 Monitors?

Postby curt » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:44 pm

I've been incrementally upgrading my system since ... oh ... about 1986, so I'm up to 3 monitors here (one nvidia video card). Having the extra peripheral area filled in with scenery is really nice for flying and FlightGear has nice built in multi monitor support. Sort of related is that currently (and even more so in the next release) Torsten Dryer has been adding support for a web-based gui interface and filling out the details little by little. The cool thing with a web-based gui for FlightGear is you can run it on any machine in any web browser ... so you could run it on a single display and just flip back and forth which window is at the top. You could run it on a second (or 3rd display), or you could run it on a separate computer, or you could even run it on a tablet or large phone ... imagine people who are DIY cockpit builders. Another little toy I've been experimenting with (only made possible through Torsten's work) is a little web page that opens up a google earth plugin and tracks FlightGear live. Here's a small preview of what that might look like (I haven't worked hard on getting high google earth update rates yet.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBMUV1VjWP
curt
Administrator

Return to OpenRadar