Board index FlightGear Support Tools OpenRadar

Java script error

OpenRadar is a standalone radar screen which connects to the FlightGear multiplayer servers. It is currently being developed.

Java script error

Postby GhostRider » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:36 pm

I click on my airport of choice, e.g. KBOS; next step is to download scenery; I wait forever downloading landmass. Nothing happens. Error in Java script shows "cannot find file landmass.zip. What is wrong?
Should these files be somewhere in Flightgear? When flying in flightgear, what should I see different if OpenRadar is running properly? Please let me know.

Regards

I found the problem. However, how does OR incorporate into Flightgear? Do I add the file to FG_Scenery?
GhostRider

Version: 2018.3.1

Re: Java script error

Postby wagnerw » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi,
These files to display the map background are downloaded from FGFS's mapserver. These shapefiles are stored in ORs subdirectory data. Once they are downloaded, you don't have to do that again.
Since we want to use the better scenery in OR too, there is a transition from one data source to the new one on the way. I hope the old one is not broken.

OR does not need any file from your fgfs installation. It integrates via the MP protocol, downloading METARs from the same source, uses fgcom as a separate application.

Is your problem really gone?

Best regards
Wolfram
PS: a minor correction: There is no Javascript used in OR. OR is programmed in Java :-)
wagnerw

Callsign: D-W794

Postby wagnerw » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:10 pm

Maybe it was a temporary problem (internet connection / server issue).
I could download that airport right now and it looks as expected. Please close this thread, if the problem is solved! Otherwise, please provide more data!
Thank you! Wolfram
wagnerw

Postby GhostRider » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:13 pm

Thanks for your responses.

What I am really trying to find out is when I run flightgear, setup a flight, and execute it, where will OR come into play. The route "Map" doesn't change. Should I add an OR file to my FG_Scenery locations? Should I just be using OR detail to incorporate into takeoffs and landings.

Thanks in Advance

P.S. Are there any US airports in the mix, yet?
GhostRider

Postby wagnerw » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi,
Sorry, but this sounds like a general misundertanding.

If you want to fly, do it and forget OR for the moment. If there is an ATC via MP online and in range (multiplayer menu - pilot list), you can chat with him or use FGCOM to talk to him and listen his answers. Even if the ATC might use OR, on your side, there is no OR in the game...

If you want to be an ATC, you don't need FGFS. You can download OR. It does not bring sceneries with it, as they are available for download. Search your airport and download it. This feature works, if there is no maintenance and you have access to the internet. It downloads a few files into ZIP archives. These files contain the landmass, city centers, tarmac, ...
Once this is done, the downloaded sector appears in your start window. Select it and click on start.
OR loads the landscape data and METAR and configures FGCOM for voice communication, it loads the runway data the fixes, NDBs, VORs, ILS and connects you to the FGFS MP server in the internet. Then you see the map, all targets in range, the runways, the chat and you can start ATCing. Please don't practice at KSFO. Start somewhere else at first.

There is more to tell, read the wiki! There is a guide to OR...

In general there are all airports available in OR that exist in FGFS. But there are some restrictions. For a few we have poor data or there are incompatible data sources between the applications. For your Boston airport for instance, the old FGFS frequencies are incompatible with the frequencies stored on the FGCOM3 server. So before you do a big start, learn how OR works, choose an airport and check that it is not one of the few that do not work and then you may start working there.

At first I would run OR and put it on one monitor and start fgfs on the other (if you have two). In FGFS go to your ATC airport and see yourself appear on itin OpenRadar. Try the chat in both directions, activate runways and all the other features. Do that playing before anybody else comes.

Happy ATCing!

And please: Do read the Wiki! There is a lot to discover! Try the ATCing at first, then start working on STARs and SIDs... Step by step. You may contact other ATCs in this forum. Maybe they can help you with the start.

Wolfram
wagnerw

Postby GhostRider » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks for all that info. I, stupidly thought that OR was going to give me a better "Map" in FG. You know, the map that shows your route as you are flying. What a dumb-dumb!! What I would like to know, however, is can OR bring up departure info?

Regards,
Bill
GhostRider

Postby wagnerw » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:18 am

Some planes have a working flight computer.. Try those for this purpose!

Open Radar is no automated ATCing tool, that answers your requests automaticallyR (yet). If there is a guy using it, he can easily send to you, what you neeed. You may use it by running both on your machine and simulate an existing ATC and be the pilot by split your personality :-)
wagnerw

Postby mickybadia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:23 am

GhostRider wrote in Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:17 pm:What I would like to know, however, is can OR bring up departure info?

If you mean departure *instructions*, then no, OpenRadar is meant to be attended by someone playing ATC for you, and won't do automatic ATC(*).
However if you mean departure *route maps*, then maybe. OpenRadar has the ability to draw routes, provided the ATCer has drawn them. So, either you draw them yourself, or if taking off from an often ATCed airport, you may ask the controller for his routes for example, then you'll be able to monitor yourself with an instance of O-R open, if that is what you want.

To draw routes, I believe the best info to date is: http://wiki.flightgear.org/OpenRadar:_Editing_routes

(*)Wolfram: is this on the wish list?! lol
mickybadia

Postby Secret_Hamster » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 pm

From what I can tell you seem to be looking for some other tool. If you are looking for mapping there are a few tools out there.

Flightplanning
Skyvector.com
gcmap.com

If you want to see the live MP map
mpserver12.flightgear.org (best if you actually connect to that as your live map as it will record your flight)
mpmap02.flightgear.org

If you want to see where people and yourself has flown
mpserver12.flightgear.org (works only if you are connected to mpsever12)
mpserver15.flightgear.org (works for all but mpserver12)
Secret_Hamster

Callsign: H-MSTR
Version: Git

Return to OpenRadar