Board index FlightGear Support Tools OpenRadar

Michat OpenRadar Ideas all in a row

OpenRadar is a standalone radar screen which connects to the FlightGear multiplayer servers. It is currently being developed.

Michat OpenRadar Ideas all in a row

Postby Michat » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Stage One Open Radar Menu

Stage 3 Interface. Hope you'll find some ideas

This bar is called view bar, just by one click controller can get more info about everything happens on his area. :)

Just combined with the UserBar ( will be in the next design for this 3 stage, where I'll show you my idea to control fgcom and chat users (and more)).

Please give me some little time for the next part. Will be very soon (done now) next will be a commented version, coming soon

This is the view bar

And this the view bar and the user bar working together.

Be free to comment.
Last edited by Michat on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Michat

Version: 191b

Re: Michat Ideas stage 3 Interface

Postby Hooray » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:15 am

that looks great!
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: Michat Ideas stage 3 Interface

Postby Michat » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks Hooray. Here I am sharing ideas, results for sure won't fit wysiwyg rules. Thats only the way I have to share ideas. Imagine trying to explain all those things, could fall into a "Don't understand exactly what you mean. or I understand only 1 % of what you are talking about". :)

Hey Hooray I did for about 3000 graphics elements, I prepared a lot of material to use for a web page gadget or a interactive banner for OR-FG promos. You were suggesting for some promotional banners, so I did some windgets to use for that reason. Do you know any volunteer using web modern techniques to help. I did those elements to use in several places, the more places as we can. Will show you later.

Now I'm sharing Michat Ideas stage 3 Interface, with comments, hoping anyone could understand or find any useful idea.

Cheers.
User bar and view bar, action.
Note that is the first time that a functional list appears on scene. Hope you understand the utility of the lists.

Next windows soon...
Michat

Re: Michat OpenRadar Ideas all in a row

Postby Michat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Traveling over view bar we reach metar station.

I show here some more ideas. For example here I can read alerts, I can read-listen other metar stations, and so on. At the bottom you can see some icons I made as a way to express that we can use icons too.
Here the metar station view is used with user bar opened.

It just a model maybe it's lack of some important data. I used here another windget, nothing important just theory.

Little by little we'll reach the map's interface.....
Michat

Postby Secret_Hamster » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:28 pm

I've seen you post a few of these sets of graphics. It all looks pretty, but I'm still a little confused as to how all this is supposed to work together.

For me the main thing I'm looking for from the interface is usability. If a * can represent something more than a graphic of a plane landing, personally would take the * it's smaller, possibly easier to render especially in a text window with other information.

I've recently found this download area

http://www.vatsim-uk.co.uk/download?categoryID=00003

from the UK vatsim guys. In the Approach Control Procedural guide there is an example of flightstrips there. They may not be pretty, but this is just the sort of thing that is possibly needed to be replicated into FG if we are looking for future integration with a message passing system. I've got a 22" widescreen at 1600x900, I need every pixel to work for me. I imagine most other ATCs would be in a similar situation.

Graphics are good if they can easily provided information better than a string of characters I need to interpret. Colours, statuses (e.g flashing) and symbology that text cannot recreate easily is a graphical interfaces benefit over text, as long as it can keep the performance.

As mentioned briefly looks nice. I'd like to see a post though of where you are trying to get to, as I'm not quite seeing the end goal at the moment to comment on.
Secret_Hamster

Callsign: H-MSTR
Version: Git

Postby Michat » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Yes Hampster, for the moment it can be confusing, because the high numbers of elements (there are near 3000 for all the set), now I'm trying to make order. First, by releasing the complete set, then we can comment specific points. But of course initial opinions are welcome.

Just compiled ideas, an study of color, no scale study related, so don't worry about space because my designs don't cover scales, I'm using crt 15", so imagine, I'm very concerned about space.

About usability, I must to say again, don't care of it. I'm very concerned about it too. In my model still is not clear the way we control usability. That's because still we are on the view bar. After show all view bar options, I'll show you the idea of control and usability, in the main control window I'll show you new concepts, totally oriented to get great and easy usability and pretty nice control experience. HyperDirect Mode.

About Vatsim flightstrips, is good to know their know how, I imagine we can study the way to represent data in our model. Always thinking to maintain our current basic model active that for example Jomo and other gentlemen likes.

I know that there are several programmers trying to build a Vatsim client based in SACTAII system, which in real life will cost a bunch of millions, and only has 30 years of expected life. Let me tell you that the real Vatsim system is divided by several clients, the system is a monster, and we should not replicate those errors, that they are trying to amend now, however we have to be alert with all possible good functionalities that really could be useful for us, so for all.

My list's examples is the way that professional SACTA system will use to simplify control. There is not another advantage in that system, that is made to expend money and to integrate all "security procedures" like how to shoot down a plane by remote control, including european american nuclear shield DEFCON procedures and things like that.

Will show you more designs soon, for that I have to change to my 800 mhz power PC, now I'm running 386x so imagine if I concerned in speed and usability.

At last those are only ideas, good to comment if you find something interesting, I'm not a programmer, is the way to show ideas, not a development plan.

Happy if you like menu colors, I'm working on another 3000 elements using a palette that will work fine with daylight.

Having fun at 333 and 800 mghz. Thanks for sharing.
Michat

Postby Michat » Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 pm

This is an example idea for the calendar tab.
I wonder if we can resolve in a direct way all communications issues, using an integrated calendar. At this point I wish to remark how important is to centralize our activity schedule.

This is a great advantage that we can take respecting other well known systems, that they didn't resolved it yet.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Michat on Wed May 01, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michat

Postby Michat » Mon May 13, 2013 10:27 pm

Radio Operator View mockup is here. Still they are some other views ahead, but we are closer to arrive to the main control screen. Just hoping you get fun and or ideas. I promise that the idea of main control screen is really simple.

Michat

Postby Secret_Hamster » Thu May 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Is there anywhere to download and look at this app?
Secret_Hamster

Callsign: H-MSTR
Version: Git

Postby Michat » Thu May 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Hampster you are the second one that believes that this is an app. No, it doesn't, this is just a mock up series to show several ideas, about color, about some possible functions and things like that. Because I'm not a programmer, I did a lot of designs in order to show some ideas that I'm releasing here little by little as a visual think tank.

Its no a big deal, except that I made it with a 800 mghz pc and in order to released them I use a 333mghz pc which power supply I have to attach to the outside of the pc box with adhesive tape every time I need to use it. :arrow: :|
Michat

Postby Michat » Sun May 26, 2013 12:57 am

It's a hard issue to deal with old pc's, but at last is fun to make old school bitmaps to share ideas. Here are two more ideas.

Still coming more designs-ideas. Map-interface will be the last one for this funny free fall experience.

Having fun at 333 mhz and 800 mhz, from the reserve, I hope you nice flights. :?
Michat

Postby Michat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:46 am

Charts facility app. and converter view.

Michat

Return to OpenRadar