Board index FlightGear Support Tools OpenRadar

General Forum thoughts

OpenRadar is a standalone radar screen which connects to the FlightGear multiplayer servers. It is currently being developed.

General Forum thoughts

Postby wagnerw » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 am

Gijs has created that separate forum for us. Let us use this forum to discuss existing features and proposals.

The most important thing first:
Please report only one proposal or issue per thread!

I am willing to discuss everything. That does not mean, that I implement everything.

My goal
=> was to evolve OpenRadar to be usable and ergonomic tool, as my predecessor developer has invested much time into it
=> is to implement, what is necessary, not all sorts of thing that would be nice
=> keep it maintainable and up to date

I have a full time job and family and those of you, who are in my situation know, what spare time is worth.

So I say 'sorry' to those of you which will not get a short time answer or might be overseen. In such cases reminding me, might help.
wagnerw

Callsign: D-W794

Re: General Forum thoughts

Postby Secret_Hamster » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 am

OpenRadar is brilliant. It's the reason I'm doing ATC as much as flying, and enjoying both as much. Hats of to both of you, and I utterly agree with your sentiment on work family etc.

I second the idea of keeping things sensible. I've commented a couple of times on this elsewhere, but I think this is probably the main area to reiterate this.

What I think we need to work on is usability, which is pretty much 99% there. Multiplayer ATC is still currently a "nice to have". There is just not enough controlled flying going on to warrant the investment into "handoff". As Wagner seems to have commented, pulling in airport information and the flightstrip are probably the main areas for looking at.

If any of you want to see the advanced abilities, as per VATSIM, then we need to start getting the world populated with ATC, to make it worth the development time. However we should be careful not to swamp the place. Wednesday night(UTC) and the weekends seem to be the European controlled events going on.
If controlled flying becomes something that the community wants, then I can see the main development stream including some of the things that we'll need to make ATC work properly. The ATC community might provide the development themselves, that is the point of it being a GPL project.

So for me my general thought is. "Lets get OR to work, lets get it out there, let people see what it can mean." There's little point in a really advanced system when at most we ever see is 75 people on Multiplayer.
Secret_Hamster

Callsign: H-MSTR
Version: Git

Postby jomo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:47 am

Secret_Hamster wrote in Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 am:OpenRadar is brilliant. It's the reason I'm doing ATC as much as flying, and enjoying both as much.

I just want/need to second this and all the rest of that article from the bottom of my heart! :P
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby User15443 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Just a quick thought. I have told all the testers of Openradar this already.
I thought it would be a good idea to have some sort of voice ATIS and ATIS information letter in the METAR maybe near the wind.
But that would need a new fgcom and lots of development.
Really, ideas would be appreciated.
ATC isn't ATC without voice communication and voice weather.
Thanks
Ross
User15443
Retired

Version: 2.12

Postby F-JJTH » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Ross wrote in Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:42 pm:I thought it would be a good idea to have some sort of voice ATIS and ATIS information letter in the METAR maybe near the wind.
But that would need a new fgcom and lots of development.

This feature is already implemented on fgcom.flightgear.org server, but partialy disabled for now.
I can reactivate the feature if you want to test and report if you found it usefull. Also other ATC could tell us if they like this feature ?

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby User15443 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:37 pm

It would be nice. Me and a couple of good ATC's like it. I would be happy to test it but on the delta server would be nice, as not many pilots/ATC's use fgcom server. May also need a ICAO/FAA script to make it more professional.
Kind Regards
Ross
User15443
Retired

Postby wagnerw » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:14 am

Please move this topic to a separate discussion! It is technically possible, as Clément says. But there are different opinions and only one OR :-)

Merry Christmas to everybody!
Wolfram

Ross wrote in Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:37 pm:It would be nice. Me and a couple of good ATC's like it. I would be happy to test it but on the delta server would be nice, as not many pilots/ATC's use fgcom server. May also need a ICAO/FAA script to make it more professional.
Kind Regards
Ross
wagnerw

Postby chrisb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:44 am

Need to make MP more popular first to then make ATC more popular
My thoughts, more to do with fgfs and in no order

1. Text to speech option
I often get so focused on flying I miss messages, with text to speech I can listen to the messages and still fly

2. Increase the MP list range.
100nm is not much, why cant I set unrealistic settings to see more people in the world or at least the closest 10 pilots, whats the point of flying in Australia and on MP when all I ever see on the list is nobody. There might be someone in another part of the country I have no idea unless I check the MP map, kinda make MP just SP. Same goes in reverse I have to be within 100nm to see openradar. Not many people fly in Australia, and all the major airports are several hundered NM apart, wouldn't it be better to see all pilots and openradar at a much further range especially in countries like Australia.

3. Tabbed ATC places (relates to openradar)
More to the point above, one player should easily be able to operate several ATC at once, especially in quiet areas
There are less then 10 intl airports in Australia, a country the size of europe with little traffic one person should be able to operate all airports. Example I lets say I fly from sydney to melbourne, seen one player once who was doing LA sydney. The same player could have easily handled all 2 players at syndey then swapped to melbourne for my landing

4. Default to join MP with a randomish call sign like new12345
Why not, or at least promote it heavily when playing single player
Also probably random spawn near KFSO so every newbie doesnt spawn at the same spot every time
chrisb

Callsign: cnb123
Version: git

Postby User15443 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:28 pm

chrisb wrote in Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:44 am:Need to make MP more popular first to then make ATC more popular
My thoughts, more to do with fgfs and in no order

1. Text to speech option
I often get so focused on flying I miss messages, with text to speech I can listen to the messages and still fly

2. Increase the MP list range.
100nm is not much, why cant I set unrealistic settings to see more people in the world or at least the closest 10 pilots, whats the point of flying in Australia and on MP when all I ever see on the list is nobody. There might be someone in another part of the country I have no idea unless I check the MP map, kinda make MP just SP. Same goes in reverse I have to be within 100nm to see openradar. Not many people fly in Australia, and all the major airports are several hundered NM apart, wouldn't it be better to see all pilots and openradar at a much further range especially in countries like Australia.

Hey Chris, The text to speech is a good idea, but we could just use FGCOM receive only. (That is if you don't have a mic)
The range is not a problem really unless your a CTR controller or FSS Controller. Also I beilive this is just FG multiplayer restrictions.
http://www.euroscope.hu/mediawiki/index ... s#PROFILES
Have a look at the VATSIM ATC ranges.
Thanks
Ross
User15443
Retired

Postby User15443 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:30 pm

First of all I do know that this is NOT implemented into FG, But maybe we could get around it:
I think a controller to controller PRIVATE (important) message would be needed, for silent handoffs. Any ideas?
regards
ross
User15443
Retired

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:46 pm

chrisb wrote in Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:44 am:Need to make MP more popular first to then make ATC more popular

The currentl MP protocol is extremely simple and not very flexible or efficient, so higher popularity would be limited by technical considerations inevitably, we've previously talked about this quite a number of times - but basically, the system cannot handle a certain load unless it is modernized. There's a long-term plan to use HLA for that, but that seems like another 18-24+ months off still... so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Honestly, we cannot currently afford having 100+ active clients, search the forum or see the wiki article on setting up an MP server to learn more about bandwidth requirements
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wagnerw » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:45 am

Ross wrote in Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:30 pm:First of all I do know that this is NOT implemented into FG, But maybe we could get around it:
I think a controller to controller PRIVATE (important) message would be needed, for silent handoffs. Any ideas?
regards
ross

This is implemented and comes with the next version of OpenRadar. There is a Flightplan support, handover (active/passive) and the flightplan data does not get lost if a contact leaves the controlled area or an ATC disappears.
wagnerw

Postby Johan G » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:00 am

A couple of posts was split off to the new topic I love this simulator in the OpenRadar subforum.

One post was split off to the new topic Pilot names over planes in multiplayer?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to OpenRadar