Board index FlightGear Release candidates 2.8

autopilot citation x/ citation bravo RC3

This is the archive of topics about the 2.8 release candidates.

autopilot citation x/ citation bravo RC3

Postby blaster » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:52 am

I really like these two aircraft, but for me at least, the autopilot is unusable.
In both planes, whenever I engage the autopilot, the plane immediately becomes unstable and spins out of control.

Both are the pre-release (2.8) versions.

windows xp, nvidia 6800.
blaster

Re: autopilot citation x/ citation bravo RC3

Postby polly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:24 pm

Offering as much information as possible can motivate someone, who shares your affection for a particular model, to help figure out the problem. I just loaded both models and quickly tried engaging heading and altitude hold, they work fine for me. Doing things like allowing airspeed to decay while attempting to reach a selected altitude can get you in trouble but it doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the model. If you can tell how you're trying to use A/P, particularly if you use F10-Autopilot or F11 menu setup or if you actually use the panel clickables it would help a
lot duplicating your conditions. The pink section asks about CPU for good reason, poor frame rates can possibly result in A/P instability for you while others don't see a problem; if that's likely then try reducing rendering load with F10-View-Rendering and see if improving frame rates helps your A/P situation.
polly

Postby blaster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:57 am

Many thanks for the response Polly.
I've tried to engage the autopilot in every conceivable way (following your instructions), all with the same result. Since no one else has reported the same issue, I can only conclude that I am doing something wrong or it's an issue with my computer.

The thing that puzzles me is that I can fly other aircraft (B1900, 777, Cessna 172,) without problems.

btw, my cpu is amd 64 x2 dual core. Many thanks again for your response.
blaster

Postby polly » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:41 am

OK, one of those mysteries then. Our cpu specs are similar, as long as 'pre-release 2.*' is equivalent to the latest git then we're dealing with the same models. The only thing I noticed was on the Bravo the target altitude, purple number at top of altitude tape, is set at 10,000 until you adjust it with the knob at bottom right of the radar display; the plane will pitch up and lose speed rapidly trying to reach target altitude.
If you're not engaging heading and altitude hold when you're close to target values at, say 140-210kts I can try again with your setup if you want.

Edit blaster, I just had a conversation on IRC with someone else having problems with Cit-X while I can't see anything wrong, I think we ruled out Your Win-7 vs Linux and we all have similar CPU's. So far I can only think that rendering etc may slow the frame rate to affect A/P performance.

Edit The other guy solved the A/P problem by disabling auto co-ordination.
polly

Postby blaster » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:22 am

polly wrote in Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:41 am:
Edit The other guy solved the A/P problem by disabling auto co-ordination.

Outstanding call polly! That was it. I disabled auto co-ordination and now the autopilot works perfectly. Nice job, thank you.
blaster

Postby polly » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:30 am

Credit the other guy, I just kept checking that the different modes worked OK for me.
polly

Postby mase » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:01 pm

I have problems with VNAV in the Citation X. Enabling it would end i a crash.
VNAV shows no reaction, only the indicator on the panel.
mase

Callsign: mase1
Version: GIT

Return to 2.8