Board index FlightGear Release candidates 2.8

.DDS Support? [Installation trouble due to new(?) feature]  Topic is solved

This is the archive of topics about the 2.8 release candidates.

.DDS Support? [Installation trouble due to new(?) feature]

Postby kyokoyama » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:21 pm

I finally got 2.8 to install, and was really happy to fly again in my virtual cockpit for the first time in half a year! :D

...then the error message below came up on the console when I tried to start up a UFO at KNUQ. (which is weird, because it shouldn't be snowing...)

Code: Select all
Image "[censored]/FlightGear/data/Textures.high/Terrain/snow3.dds"
uses compressed textures which cannot be supported on some systems.
Please decompress this texture for improved portability.

I'm guessing .dds is a new shader file or something, because I don't remember seeing that filetype in 2.6.
What should I do to solve this? Do I just delete the .dds, or is there something wrong?
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Re: .DDS Support? [Installation trouble due to new(?) featur

Postby islandmonkey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:18 am

Ignore the error. It isn't relevant to the general user. By the way, you can use these .dds textures with this:

--prop:/sim/rendering/materials-file=Materials/dds/materials.xml
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:39 pm

The dds snow is loaded in any case, since it's used for the snow shader effect and declared to be loaded in the general terrain rendering effect file.
Thorsten

Postby kyokoyama » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:20 pm

islandmonkey wrote in Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:18 am:Ignore the error. It isn't relevant to the general user. By the way, you can use these .dds textures with this:

--prop:/sim/rendering/materials-file=Materials/dds/materials.xml

How would I do this?
(and as much as I'd like to ignore it, this is causing FG to crash during startup, so I can't, really...)

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Postby islandmonkey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Go to advanced options > properties and add it there.

Also, if FG is crashing, then it obviously isn't this. Please post whole cmd line output.
islandmonkey

Postby Gijs » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Easiest option is to go to Advanced > Rendering and add the file path to the "Materials file" field ;-)

It is not an error, but a warning. DDS is an image type that can be loaded much faster by your graphics card. But not all computers support the format, so we've added a warning to the console so anyone adding such files knows that they won't work on some computers. Users can ignore the message.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby i4dnf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Actualy it's a compressed image format. It doesn't need to pe decompressed because the graphic cards can handle the compression natively in hardware.

@kyokoyama, unfortunately that one sliped into the common part of the materials file. Go to your flightgear data directory Materials/base/materials-base.xml and comment out line 409
<effect>Effects/transition-base-grass-inverse</effect>
. That should get rid of the effect loading those .dds textures.
However I don't think that's the actual issue.

It will be fixed for the final release.
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D
Version: GIT

Postby kyokoyama » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:05 pm

Oh ok, thank you. :)

I changed the log level from "alert" to "warn", and here's my new console message:
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KONT 26L OM'.
<similar warnings for several other airports>
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KONT 26L IM'.
Skipping bad material entry params
Dir::children: FindFirstFile failed:C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Aircr
aft/ufo/gui/dialogs
Failed to tie property /environment/attention to object methods
Duplicate autopilot component MetarController:layer:wind-from-heading-deg, renam
ed to MetarController:layer:wind-from-heading-deg_0
Duplicate autopilot component MetarController:layer:wind-from-heading-deg, renam
ed to MetarController:layer:wind-from-heading-deg_1
ed to MetarController:layer:wind-from-heading-deg_2
ed to MetarController:layer:wind-from-heading-deg_3
ed to MetarController:layer:wind-from-heading-deg_4
Duplicate autopilot component MetarController:layer:wind-speed-kt, renamed to Me
tarController:layer:wind-speed-kt_0
Duplicate autopilot component MetarController:layer:wind-speed-kt, renamed to Me
tarController:layer:wind-speed-kt_1
tarController:layer:wind-speed-kt_2
tarController:layer:wind-speed-kt_3
tarController:layer:wind-speed-kt_4
Duplicate autopilot component MetarController:clouds:altitude_interpolate, renam
ed to MetarController:clouds:altitude_interpolate_0
Duplicate autopilot component MetarController:clouds:altitude_interpolate, renam
ed to MetarController:clouds:altitude_interpolate_1
ed to MetarController:clouds:altitude_interpolate_2
ed to MetarController:clouds:altitude_interpolate_3
Duplicate autopilot component MetarController:clouds:thickness, renamed to Metar
Controller:clouds:thickness_0
Duplicate autopilot component MetarController:clouds:thickness, renamed to Metar
Controller:clouds:thickness_1
Controller:clouds:thickness_2
Controller:clouds:thickness_3
Duplicate autopilot component MetarController:clouds:coverage, renamed to MetarC
ontroller:clouds:coverage_0
Duplicate autopilot component MetarController:clouds:coverage, renamed to MetarC
ontroller:clouds:coverage_1
ontroller:clouds:coverage_2
ontroller:clouds:coverage_3
Unable to load the protocol configuration file: Failed to open file
 at C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Protocol/.xml
Reading deprecated xml electrical system model from
    C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Aircraft/Generic/generic-electrical.x
ml
GPS: someone accessed a deprecated property:/instrumentation/gps/wp/wp/ID
Animated jetways ... initialized
loading scenario 'nimitz_demo'
Failed to tie property /ai[0]/models[0]/carrier[0]/controls[0]/constants[0]/rudd
er[0]
Failed to tie property /ai[0]/models[0]/carrier[1]/controls[0]/constants[0]/rudd
er[0]
Image "C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Textures.high/Terrain/snow3.dds"
GPS: someone accessed a deprecated property:/instrumentation/gps/wp/wp[1]/longit
ude-deg
GPS: someone accessed a deprecated property:/instrumentation/gps/wp/wp[1]/longit
ude-deg
ude-deg
GPS: someone accessed a deprecated property:/instrumentation/gps/wp/wp[1]/latitu
de-deg
GPS: someone accessed a deprecated property:/instrumentation/gps/wp/wp[1]/latitu
de-deg
de-deg
GPS: someone accessed a deprecated property:/instrumentation/gps/wp/wp[1]/altitu
de-ft
GPS: someone accessed a deprecated property:/instrumentation/gps/wp/wp[1]/altitu
de-ft
de-ft

kyokoyama

Postby islandmonkey » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:12 am

Hm, looks like a UFO only issue. Try another plane.
islandmonkey

Postby kyokoyama » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Alright.
This time, I used Helijah's V22 Osprey... still crashes.

Dir::children: FindFirstFile failed:C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Aircr
aft/Instruments-3d/altimeter
aft/Instruments-3d/AN-APS-13
aft/Instruments-3d/ar-3201
aft/Instruments-3d/asi
aft/Instruments-3d/asi-pa24
aft/Instruments-3d/asi300
aft/Instruments-3d/cdu
aft/Instruments-3d/Century-IIB
aft/Instruments-3d/Century-III
aft/Instruments-3d/chronograph
aft/Instruments-3d/chronometer
aft/Instruments-3d/clock
aft/Instruments-3d/clock/M877
aft/Instruments-3d/comp
aft/Instruments-3d/controls
aft/Instruments-3d/egt
aft/Instruments-3d/flap-ind
aft/Instruments-3d/flaps
aft/Instruments-3d/garmin196
aft/Instruments-3d/garmin196/doc
aft/Instruments-3d/glider
aft/Instruments-3d/glider/vario
aft/Instruments-3d/glider/vario/ilec-sc7
aft/Instruments-3d/gps-ind
aft/Instruments-3d/hi
aft/Instruments-3d/kap140
aft/Instruments-3d/kap140/Resources
aft/Instruments-3d/kfc200
aft/Instruments-3d/ki206
aft/Instruments-3d/ki266
aft/Instruments-3d/kma20
aft/Instruments-3d/kns80
aft/Instruments-3d/kr87-adf
aft/Instruments-3d/kt70
aft/Instruments-3d/kx165
aft/Instruments-3d/kx170b
aft/Instruments-3d/ky196
aft/Instruments-3d/magneto-switch
aft/Instruments-3d/mk-viii
aft/Instruments-3d/mk-viii/assembly
aft/Instruments-3d/mk-viii/Textures
aft/Instruments-3d/mk-viii/Textures/gpws
aft/Instruments-3d/mp
aft/Instruments-3d/pa24-fuel-oil-amps
aft/Instruments-3d/pa28-fuel-oil
aft/Instruments-3d/pedals
aft/Instruments-3d/primus-1000
aft/Instruments-3d/primus-1000/MFD
aft/Instruments-3d/primus-1000/PFD
aft/Instruments-3d/quadrant
aft/Instruments-3d/radar2
aft/Instruments-3d/radardist
aft/Instruments-3d/radio_stack
aft/Instruments-3d/RAF_Mk9_bubble_sextant
aft/Instruments-3d/RDR-160
aft/Instruments-3d/rwr
aft/Instruments-3d/SCR-522C
aft/Instruments-3d/SCR-522C/Dialogs
aft/Instruments-3d/SCR-522C/Nasal
aft/Instruments-3d/standby-adi
aft/Instruments-3d/tach
aft/Instruments-3d/tc
aft/Instruments-3d/TDR-94
aft/Instruments-3d/TR1133
aft/Instruments-3d/TR1133/Dialogs
aft/Instruments-3d/TR1133/Nasal
aft/Instruments-3d/trim
aft/Instruments-3d/vac
aft/Instruments-3d/VHF-22
aft/Instruments-3d/VIR-32
aft/Instruments-3d/vor
aft/Instruments-3d/vsi
aft/Instruments-3d/vsi-6
aft/Instruments-3d/winter-alti-4110
aft/Instruments-3d/winter-ball
aft/Instruments-3d/yoke
aft/Instruments-3d/zkv500
aft/UH-1
aft/UIUC
aft/UIUC/a4-v1-nl
aft/UIUC/airwaveXtreme150-v1-nl
aft/UIUC/asw20-v1-nl
aft/UIUC/beech99-v1
aft/UIUC/beech99-v1/doc
aft/UIUC/fkdr1-v1-nl
aft/UIUC/marchetti-v1
aft/UIUC/Models
aft/UIUC/Models/opus
aft/UIUC/ornithopter
aft/UIUC/sopwithCamel-v1-nl
aft/UIUC/sopwithCamel-v2-nl
aft/UIUC/wrightFlyer1903-v1-nl
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KONT 26L OM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KONT 26R OM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KSAV 01  OM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KSAV 10  OM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'PAYA 11  OM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'WARQ 26  OM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'WARR 10  OM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'ZULS 27R OM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'EDDB 07  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'EDDB 25  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KIAD 01C MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KONT 08L MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KONT 26L MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KONT 26R MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KSAV 01  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KSAV 10  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'PAED 06  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'PAYA 11  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'WADD 27  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'WALL 25  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'WAOO 10  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'WAOP 34  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'WARJ 09  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'WARQ 26  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'WARR 10  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'WIDD 04  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'WIHH 24  MM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KIAD 19C IM'.
Failed to create beacon for unknown runway 'KONT 26L IM'.
Skipping bad material entry params
aft/V22-Osprey/gui/dialogs
Failed to tie property /environment/attention to object methods
ed to MetarController:layer:wind-from-heading-deg_0
ed to MetarController:layer:wind-from-heading-deg_1
ed to MetarController:layer:wind-from-heading-deg_2
ed to MetarController:layer:wind-from-heading-deg_3
ed to MetarController:layer:wind-from-heading-deg_4
tarController:layer:wind-speed-kt_0
tarController:layer:wind-speed-kt_1
tarController:layer:wind-speed-kt_2
tarController:layer:wind-speed-kt_3
tarController:layer:wind-speed-kt_4
ed to MetarController:clouds:altitude_interpolate_0
ed to MetarController:clouds:altitude_interpolate_1
ed to MetarController:clouds:altitude_interpolate_2
ed to MetarController:clouds:altitude_interpolate_3
Controller:clouds:thickness_0
Controller:clouds:thickness_1
Controller:clouds:thickness_2
Controller:clouds:thickness_3
ontroller:clouds:coverage_0
ontroller:clouds:coverage_1
ontroller:clouds:coverage_2
ontroller:clouds:coverage_3
Unable to load the protocol configuration file: Failed to open file
 at C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Protocol/.xml
Reading deprecated xml electrical system model from
    C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Aircraft/Generic/generic-electrical.x
ml
Animated jetways ... initialized
loading scenario 'nimitz_demo'
Failed to tie property /ai[0]/models[0]/carrier[0]/controls[0]/constants[0]/rudd
er[0]
Failed to tie property /ai[0]/models[0]/carrier[1]/controls[0]/constants[0]/rudd
er[0]
Image "C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Textures.high/Terrain/snow3.dds"
ude-deg
ude-deg
ude-deg
de-deg
de-deg
de-deg
de-ft
de-ft
de-ft
failed to load sound buffer: Warning: STEREO files are not supported for 3D audi
o effects: C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Aircraft/V22-Osprey/Sounds/Fla
ps.wav

The thing is, the GUI loads and even the HUD comes up, but right before I expect the actual plane to pop up, FG decides to crash...

I know the message doesn't appear at the moment it crashes, but is it possible that the "Unable to load the protocol configuration file: Failed to open file
at C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Protocol/.xml" message is the culprit?

kyokoyama

Postby islandmonkey » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Do a reinstall. That's all I can say.
islandmonkey

Postby ThorstenB » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:07 pm

kyokoyama wrote in Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:44 pm:... is it possible that the "Unable to load the protocol configuration file: Failed to open file
at C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Protocol/.xml" message is the culprit?

That message isn't normal - it may well be related. Looks like something is wrong with your command-line parameters to fgfs. Can you post the complete command-line please - either the line you used to launch fgfs directly, or the line shown in the fgrun launcher (should start with something like "fgfs... --aircraft=... " etc.
ThorstenB

Callsign: D-TB7

Postby kyokoyama » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Alright, here's my command line:
C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\bin\Win32\fgfs.exe
  --fg-root=C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\data
  --fg-scenery=C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\data\Scenery;C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\scenery;C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\terrasync
  --aircraft=v22
  --control=joystick
  --disable-random-objects
  --prop:/sim/rendering/random-vegetation=false
  --enable-hud
  --enable-anti-alias-hud
  --disable-hud-3d
  --enable-distance-attenuation
  --disable-specular-highlight
  --enable-ai-models
  --disable-ai-traffic
  --in-air
  --disable-real-weather-fetch
  --disable-clouds
  --enable-clouds3d
  --bpp=32
  --timeofday=noon
  --generic=socket,in,5,,5500,tcp,
  --log-level=warn

kyokoyama

Postby Gijs » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:17 pm

What's --generic=socket,in,5,,5500,tcp, doing there? It lacks a protocol file at the end (after tcp,). Go to Advanced > Input/Output on the last page of FGRun and remove it.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby ThorstenB » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Ok, remove this bit from your command-line:
kyokoyama wrote in Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:12 pm:
  --generic=socket,in,5,,5500,tcp,

This is an invalid/incomplete option and at least causing the error message you mentioned. Otherwise, append the missing configuration file after the "tcp,". Each generic protocol requires a config file - and it's missing here.
Not sure if this could somehow cause a crash later on - but it's possible at least.

Edit: Ah, Gijs was too fast ;-).
ThorstenB

Callsign: D-TB7

Next

Return to 2.8