Board index FlightGear Release candidates 2.8

OpenGL "Out of Memory"?

This is the archive of topics about the 2.8 release candidates.

Re: OpenGL "Out of Memory"?

Postby stuart » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:14 am

The MP case should be slightly better.
- We have clever LoD loader mechanisms so that (say) instruments aren't loaded if you're only seeing the aircraft at a distance.
- There are AI variants of many aircraft under AI/Aircraft which are used in preference.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Hooray » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:33 am

Thorsten wrote in Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:07 am:If airplanes create that much of an impact, they can blow any system, because it's pretty much uncontrollable what you get to meet.

As Stuart says, this shouldn't be the case anymore - but it would surely be a good idea to track the ram usage for each loaded model and write it to the property tree, so that we have some metrics and can actually see how much of an impact MP aircraft have.

A while ago, I played with tracking the duration of Nasal callback execution, to get a list of scripts that tend to trigger the GC more frequently (i.e. higher "GC pressure"). And here, it's quite obvious that some scripts and function have a higher probability of triggering the Nasal GC than others - including some of your LW/AW loops, some of them trigger the GC very rarely, while others trigger it regularly.
It shouldn't be too hard adapt that code and expose additional GC-internals to the property tree, so that we know how much memory is consumed per memory pool, and possibly even per loaded script or sub module.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:48 pm

- There are AI variants of many aircraft under AI/Aircraft which are used in preference.

I haven't checked, but I have been following some of the threads having to do with AI aircraft - the focus seemed to be to provide low vertex count versions of models, not so much to provide lowres textures and effect maps - which seems to be the issue here.

As much as it's a neat feature, I consider (and this data confirms), that we shouldn't use the multiple choice of textures in the material files, we're only making a bad issue worse, the more the terrain is detailed, the more it will load extra textures for the same landclass.

Well... expanding the procedural texturing strategy as I have in mind anyway, we might get by with three 512x512 texture sheets per landclass which is cheaper than a single 1024x1024 (not to mention three of those...), with several of them in multiple use. The whole rational of defining multiple textures per landclass is to ease the repetition problem, but procedural texturing does that anyway, so we can optimize memory usage at the expense of spending more processing power.
Thorsten

Previous

Return to 2.8